“Lovely property, nice area”

Hotel Villa San Pio
Ranked #77 of 1,271 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Our visit was part work, part vacation, we picked this hotel to the proximity of the FAO office, good TripAdvisor reviews and good price. Our room was off the courtyard, semi detached, not part of the main building, no issues with noise, beautiful view onto the courtyard. Staff was outstanding, all very polite, excellent English language skills. Breakfast was great, wide variety, the scrambled eggs were amazing. About a 10 min walk to the bus stop and maybe a 15 minute walk to one of two Metro stops. Decent selection of restaurants within a 10-15 walk. The room was clean but as one poster commented, could have been better. Average size room, good size bathroom, bed was ok. Yes, the TV was small, I found one or two channels in English. My one major issue is we had a difficult time with a stable wifi connection, some days it worked great, some days it stalled, I talked to the staff about it a few times, mission critical as I needed to work and the signal was not strong enough. Overall, I would stay here again and recommend to others, lovely property.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
FamigliaPiroli, Direttore at Hotel Villa San Pio, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for your positive review posted on Tripadvisor..and for staying with us during your business trip to Rome.!!
I am so glad you appreciated your room, our service and the wide delicious breakfast, with the calm and beauty of the Aventino hill.!! Sorry if you had problem with the connection and I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. We take high consideration of your suggestions to improve the quality of our service.
Thank you for recommending our beautiful property we really hope to see you again, maybe next time for your next trip to Rome.!!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,442)

Reviewed 9 March 2014

If you are looking for peaceful location in Rome you are on the right place.
In short I will give you positive sides and negative.
It was my first visit to Rome so no experience with other hotels in Rome but in Italy yes.
+ nice peaceful location, lots of green, residential area
+ nice garden, birds in the morning, fair breakfast, nice reception area,nice staff willing to help
+ quite close to Colloseum and Forum Romanum, Bocca della Verita, Circo Massimo, Terme di
Caracalla, you can reach also other parts walking but the traffic is horrible so we prefered saving our energy and used buses
+ WI-FI worked good

_
here we come to the negative sides:
- for those ones who don't prefer walking to much - you have to walk cca 10 min to reach
the nearest bus station ( we didn't mind)
- there are obviously more types of rooms ( what you cant see in the time of the booking), 3 buildings, rooms we had were quite small, bathrooms one was yes nice marble bathroom other one not so big but adequate, rooms are in need of painting and better maintenance ( at least these ones we had)
- sound insulation of the rooms ( you can hear all, water, toilet , talking TV from another room)
so as long as your neighbours are polite all OK, mostly were middle aged guests so expect all will calm till 11 pm
- some rooms probably have view in our case no view at all ( not important for us)
- really very small TV ( not so important we didn't came to watch TV but...)
- maids could do their job better, clean yes but could be better
- nearest restaurants and shops on 15 min walking not a big issue but only to know and when you come very late in the evening not knowing nothing about Rome and area keep this in mind
-avoid rooms on the ground level (happy we didn't have those), thank you hotel staff

To conclude I loved my stay here and would come again as I loved the location only maybe next time I will try to be sure to have maybe nicer rooms in the spite of paying more for them.
If I knew that choosing the special offer (sincerely I thought that the offer was because of the longer stay as it was written for stays 5 days) means step down I wouldn't choose this "special offer" but would book regularly without using this "tourist trap".
That should be clear on the hotel web site if this is the case. If this is not the case than I am sad and disappointed because I booked almost 4 months in advance two rooms for 5 days and still have the feeling ...
But in the end we spent less money and in Rome you have so much to see so hotel room is not so important at all.
Thank you once more to all of you in Hotel Villa San Pio we had wonderful days in "citta eterna".

Room Tip: avoid rooms on the ground floor, don't be lazy ask for a better room,
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank villamoretti
FamigliaPiroli, Direttore at Hotel Villa San Pio, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2014

Dear Guest,
thank you so much for choosing our Hotel Villa San Pio for your roman holiday.!!
It's a pleasure for us to know you had a pleasant stay and that you will definetely come back to our property as you loved the location and the Aventino hill, peacefull and exclusive.!!
Thank you also for pointing our strenght and weakness for our future potential clients, so they know exactly what to expect.
As you pointed out the rooms on the lower level are the cheapest one but of course, are not so pleasant as the ones on the higher floors with terrace, from wich you can enjoy a spectacular view.!!
The special offers that you enjoy was not for our superior room, but are definetely worth it !!
We assure you we will take high consideration of your suggestions to improve the quality of our rooms and service.!!
Sorry if you had problem with the connection and i sincerely apologize for any inconvenience occurred because of it.!!

Reviewed 3 March 2014

Hello,

Myself and my boyfriend stayed in Villa san Pio two weeks ago. I really enjoyed staying in the hotel. It was a perfect location for me as I love walking. For people who are not keen on walking, there is a metro nearby.

Why I loved the hotel: The gardens outside were lovely with the beautiful orange trees. The breakfast room was lovely. It was in a conservatory which I really enjoyed as it was a refreshing place to have your breakfast in in the morning. The balcony adjoining the room was AMAZING. The views were lovely looking over Roma and it was a lovely place to relax.
Another plus was the area. I felt really safe in the neighborhood.

Problem: The bed was a little hard. I would recommend the hotels change their beds as I have seen this has been in the comment sections for some time now.

I would love to come back to this hotel! I will recommend it to my friends who are visiting Rome.
Thank you very much.

Room Tip: Try get a room on the 3rd or 4th floor facing the city!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Suzanne,
thank you very much for your positive review and for choosing our Hotel Villa San Pio.!
What a great pleasure for all of us to know how much you enjoyed your roman holiday and for your generous comment.
I’m so glad you appreciated the delicious breakfast in our conservatory, where is fantastic to start the day in a peaceful and relaxed ambience before getting into the fascinating city…and your beautiful room with balcony.!!!
We really hope to host you again in the future and thank you again for recommending the hotel to others potential guests.!!

Reviewed 24 February 2014

If you stay at the Aventine Hill, you can relax in a beautiful residential area away from the traffic and crowded streets, only a short walk from Forum Romanum, Coloseum, Trastevere, Pantheon and the Corso. We prefer to stay at Hotel Villa San Pio, where you can sit on your balcony and enjoy a wiew over the city and to the Abruzzi mountains.in the distance. Our room was clean and large, and the marble bathroom was nice.The staff in the reception was very helpful. The delicious breakfast is served in a conservatory in the nice and well kept garden, which is full of camelias, palms, lemon trees and Roman Pine trees, so you wake up in the morning by birdsong.The best area in Rome for restaurants with typical Roman food is just down the hill in the Testaccio area. We were the only tourists in every restaurant we visited there. Also visit the Testaccio food marked and go to the Parco Savello next to Santa Sabina church and enjoy the sunset and the wiew across town to Sct Peters Basilika. Ask the reception for map and directions and watch out when you walk in the evenings, as the pavement is very uneven due to the roots of the trees breaking it up. The free WiFi worked well, also on the top floor. The TV channels are all in Italian, but who cares, when it is so nice to sit and enjoy the view at the balcony.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Bente I
FamigliaPiroli, Direttore at Hotel Villa San Pio, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2014

Dear Mrs. Bente,
Thank you so much for your positive comment on our property and for thinking us once back home.!
What a great pleasure for all of us to learn how much you enjoyed your roman days especially in our oasis of calm in our Hotel Villa San Pio.!!
We are so glad you appreciated your large room with the balcony and the delicious breakfast served in our beautiful conservatory.
Thank you so much for your generous comment and we are really looking forward to your next visit in the Eternal city!!

Reviewed 17 February 2014

We’re a young couple that went for a romantic city getaway for 3 nights and were left feeling very satisfied. The décor of the room is quite rustic Italian and is kept in good condition, our room was contrasted with a modern stylish en-suite which was very practical. The breakfast was good and served near the conservatory within the beautiful gardens that are very well maintained (a very nice feature to this hotel). We were fortunate to have good weather so we chose to eat outside though did notice that people had the option to eat in their rooms though should they wish.

I must commend the excellent service that the staff delivered, everyone that we encountered from check-in until check-out was incredibly friendly and helpful, the staff were very accommodating with every request.

It is located a little bit out of town, however there is a bus stop at the bottom of the road just a few minutes walk away or the piramide metro station that is a 10-minute walk away. It wasn’t a problem for us but it is something to bear in mind that you may have to walk a bit and get some form of transport to see the attractions of Rome but we covered everything we wanted to see within 3 days leaving no stone unturned whilst staying at this hotel.

The biggest drawback from this hotel for us had to be the mattress of the bed. The bed itself was a lovely size but we found that we didn’t sleep that well on it because we couldn’t get comfy, the bed was a little too hard for us both. This could very well be a one off or a personal preference but it did take away from the experience of what is a lovely hotel. It’s clean, spacious, had good wi-fi. It was a small blip on what otherwise was a great hotel.

Would I recommend this hotel to someone else?
As long as they don't mind the walk (which late at night can be very dark, the street lights weren't on, but felt safe), yes. It was great value. Lovely 3* hotel.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
FamigliaPiroli, Direttore at Hotel Villa San Pio, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2014

Dear Guest,
thank you so much for thinking about us once back home and for sharing your positive experience with us.!
We take high consideration of your suggestions as is so important for us to achieve complete satisfaction of our valued guests and to improve our service and quality standards..!
I’m sorry if you didn’t find our bed comfortable and soft and I sincerely apologize for this inconvenience.
A little disappointed though you didn’t let us know about it, because we could have easy provided a bed softer for your comfort in order for you to enjoy a great night sleep.!!
Hopefully this little inconvenience did not ruin your “sweet memories” of your roman holidays.!!
Looking forward to your next visit for another romantic getaway in the eternal city.

Reviewed 14 February 2014 via mobile

The decor for this 3 star hotel is amazing. Romantic, friendly, superb environment for a great city getaway, you will enjoy the private hotel with great breakfast and high class hospitality.
The rooms are clean, spacious and air corn friendly

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
FamigliaPiroli, Direttore at Hotel Villa San Pio, responded to this reviewResponded 16 February 2014

Dear Mr. Richard,
thank you very much for your positive review and for thinking about us.!!
We are proud to know that the hotel Villa San Pio really met your expectations and made your stay very romantic..!!
Looking forward for your next visit in the Eternal City for another romantic stay with us..!!

Reviewed 12 February 2014

We stayed there for 5 nights, our room was a bit small but we were out most of the day so we did not care much. It is a bit far from the center, but the bus station is just 2 min from there. The breakfast was really very good ,served at a patio in the garden and the breakfast staff very polite. The evening receptionist was also very polite and helpfull ,something we cannot say about the morning lady who was not very polite,althought she answered our questions,her attitude and way of speaking to us was UNACCEPTABLE.We also do the same job and we tried to bother the staff as less as possible but someone should teach her that when a quest comes in and you hear the door open, especially if there is no one else there,.....you look the quest and greet him..but no she didnt even bother to raise her head unless we spoke to her.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
FamigliaPiroli, Direttore at Hotel Villa San Pio, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

Dear guest,
thank you very much for sharing your comments with us!!!
We are delighted to learn you enjoyed our breakfast and our lush garden and patìo surrounded by orange and lemon trees!!!
I’m disappointed though, you were not greeted friendly by the morning lady as well as the rest of our concierge staff. I sincerely apologize for her attitude and behavior. I’m very surprised about it, and I assume it was just a bad moment of the day as she is always so professional and friendly and loves to take care of our valued guests!!!
Anyway I understand completely your point, and again, I’m sorry you had to experience this during your vacation in Rome.
Hopefully you will give us the pleasure to host you again in our hotel in the next future!!!
Kind regards