“This place is the absolute worst”
Review of M&J Hostel

M&J Hostel
Ranked #786 of 1,147 Speciality Lodging in Rome
Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

The grimiest hostel I have ever seen. Please don't waste your money by staying here. My family and I left our bags in the luggage closet for a few hours and they came out drenched in some red liquid. We couldn't ever sleep because of the bar downstairs attached to the hostel. The bar/restaurant was also one of the most revolting meals I've ever had. Stay away. This place is the worst.

Stayed: May 2014
4  Thank Meghan S

Reviewed 20 April 2014

Just got back from 5 nights here. I have stayed in numerous hostels all over the world and have never written a review before but I felt compelled to here because this place is so awful. See below a list of key things I found during my stay:

No hot water in the morning and when there was hot water the shower was an absolute dribble

Beds were ancient and very flimsy, any movement on the bottom or the top bunk resulted in very loud creeking so no one could sleep.

There is no WIFI in the rooms only in the common room which is a tiny box room layed out with hard plastic chairs infront of reception desk.

There was very loud trance music every night blaring out from the bar next door. Even with the windows shut the noise was unbearable and went on until 2 am.

There are no lockers in the rooms and valuables are stored behind the reception desk for all to see. A tiny locker is available behind the reception if you have your own padlock for your passport.

The locks on a lot of the doors to the dorms were broken and I heard a lot of people unable to lock thier doors.

It looked as thought the hostel hasnt seen a paint brush for about 20 or 30 years.

Basically everything you want from a hostel this doesnt have. It was noisey and crampt, poor quality bedding, no lockers, no hot water, no common room, no wifi in the rooms, dated decor. All I wanted was somewhere to get my head down for a good nights kip, somewhere to have a nice hot shower in the morning, meet some fellow travellers and hold my stuff securely. Failiure on all fronts. Avoid this place at all costs.

Positives would be it was clean, and the located next to the termini.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
5  Thank daveskyrme
Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

The rooms are clean, the crew is nice and the location is o.k (next to termini station) but there is a funny smell in the rooms, you don't get a real pillow (the worst one I ever saw..) the blanket is too short to cover your entire body, the first day I had NO water at the shower (I don't mean no hot water, I mean literally no water) the front desk gave me a key to an other shower which was one floor down, there is wi-fi only at the front desk, no breakfast (you pay 3 euro for a croissant caffe and juice) and for some reason the mattresses are covered in plastic...
Button line, if you book in advance you can do a lot better but as a last resort it could be worst...
28 M. Traveled between 14.18-04

Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Sandbar12
Reviewed 12 April 2014 via mobile

If you are a seasoned hostel traveller and urn for the good old days when the hostels were famous for being small, cramped, smelly, and dirty then this is your place.
The up side is that it is in a great location. Right by the train and metro stations.
The down side is everything else. It needs paint everywhere, the dorms don't have lockers, the staff is rude, the street is busy. This is my second trip to Rome and I can tell you there are other hostels within walking distance of this one that are in a similar price range and are much better. Even spending a few extra dollars a night is worth it.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Yetiguy
Reviewed 12 April 2014

Stayed for 3 nights in the 8 bed mixed dorm, booked to late I guess (?) so Rome was pretty much booked out. Anyway...

I'm not a very picky traveller and don't complain much, I've been all around the globe and stayed everywhere from s**t-holes to budget nice places so I'll write the pros and cons of this place and you can decide what you think for yourself.

PROS:
- good location, friendly helpful staff, price, bathrooms clean

CONS:
- expect to run out of hot water quickly in the dorms
- dorms directly above very loud bar and next to busy Roman street. I don't think I've ever stayed in a room that loud, the only reason I was able to fall asleep is because I was dead tired every day.
- kitchen stove starts working at 3PM, this makes no sense whatsoever, no cutlery
- the living room is too small for the amount of people this place sleeps, no couches
- Wi-Fi only works in living room, no other computers at hostel

So all in all an OK experience but it's definitely just a cheap bed and not a home away from home for the weary traveller.

Plus someone stole our breakfast from the fridge but that has nothing to do with the hostel, there are idiot 'trevellers' everywhere.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 April 2014

My trip to the M&J Hostel was not only my first time in Rome but also my first time staying in a Hostel, and, needless to say, looking at the reviews on here I was rather worried about my friend's choice. However, for what it's worth, I actually think it was a pretty decent hostel, despite the conflicting views on here.

Firstly, it is super close to Termini Station - I honestly don't think there is a closer hostel. In a five minute stroll you are at the station and have the whole of Rome and indeed much of Italy within your reach. The hostel reception is open 24 hours a day, so no lock outs which is great if you want to stay out late. The staff were helpful and friendly with plenty of information of tours and tips of places to visit should you need them. They let us check in before the stated time of 2pm, and there was a room to lock luggage away before the room became available later that afternoon. In reception there is free wifi to use and seating which was a bonus.

The room (mixed 10 bed dorm) and the bathroom were perfectly reasonable in terms of cleanliness and size. The bedding provided was also adequate and didn't give me nightmares about finding anything nasty between the sheets. It wasn't the most comfortable bed I've slept in, but I was on a top bunk, and bunk beds are never going to be amazing, are they.

All I can say is that for the €16 + €2 city tax paid for my bed, I had a perfectly good stay. I wasn't worried about security, or noise, or cleanliness. I would happily return for the location alone, but it was better than just that. Being a first time traveller in a hostel, the reviews here had me worried but I can honestly say that I don't think they truly reflect this place. At very least, when I visited they had their act together!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 March 2014

Pros:
- The hostel is just a 5-minute walk from the Roma Termini Station. Location at its finest.
- The hostel reception is open 24 hours.
- The hostel staff are friendly and gave us tips on which places we can visit during our weekend trip to Rome.

Cons: (My friend and I stayed in a 6 bed-female dorm for 3 nights.)
- The hostel is situated along a very busy street. At night, I was always awoken by people shouting and partying, the music from the bar near the place, and the trucks and the ambulance passing by early in the morning.
- The hostel is an old building without a lift. From the entrance, we needed to go up 6 flights of stairs to reach our room located on the fourth floor.
- The WiFi is ONLY accessible in the lobby.
- For two out of three nights, we experienced black-out (sudden loss of electricity). The lights go out for 2-4 minutes. This usually happens around 6-7PM and it occurs 2-3 times.
- The toilet flush does not always work. I could not use the toilet during our last stay in Rome.
- The water is either too hot or too cold. And it was impossible to get the right temperature.

*City tax of 2 euros per night is not included in the total payment. Furthermore, one should pay on his/her arrival for the total amount of stay + city tax + key deposit of 10 euros, all in CASH.

Overall, if you are looking for a cheap place to stay in Rome and it must be somewhere near central station, this hostel can be tolerated.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends