“You get what you pay for at Hotel Panda”
Review of Hotel Panda

Hotel Panda
Ranked #608 of 1,261 Hotels in Rome
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“You get what you pay for at Hotel Panda”
Reviewed 21 May 2009

We stayed at Hotel Panda for 4 nights during our honeymoon in May 2009. We knew going in that we were staying at the Hotel Panda because it was cheap and we liked the location. That being said I can say little good about the place besides it was clean, had a nice location, and was somewhat quiet.

Our room didn’t have a clock, radio, or tv which was fine, but it was literally a bed, night stand and chair in the room. Kind of like a clean prison cell (from what I have heard)! You had to buzz out twice to leave the building and I joked to my wife that it seemed we were buzzing out of jail. Also, our hallway had a funky odor.

The front desk staff was somewhat dysfunctional and I never saw the same person twice. They also weren’t very friendly. I asked about the internet and they said I would need to come to the lobby to get a signal (the lobby was smaller than my bedroom with a weird couch…seemed like a college apartment).

We will probably return to Rome again, but we would surely upgrade from the Hotel Panda. If you need a clean room in a nice location for 100 euro a night… its not to shabby.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank alwaysevol000

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Virginia, USA
Reviewed 30 April 2009

Great location to Spanish steps, and close to the metro. Good neighborhood.

Room was TINY!!!!! Dirty floor, otherwise clean, but that was the norm for the hotels we stayed in during our month long stay. Good bathroom, small shower typical of European hotels.

Little pricy for the room we got. We stayed in much nicer places for less--although not in Rome.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
Camas, Washington
Reviewed 24 April 2009

I was pretty hesitant to stay at this hotel – frankly it seemed too good to be true. I think I read about it in my Lets Go! travel book. It was priced way below the rates I found for other hotels in this area. But traveling alone it was important to me to stay in a very populated area – which was why I was fixated on this location right near to the Spanish Steps and a block away from the metro.

I was pleasantly surprised! My room was REALLY cute, with a nice sink and mirror, and some sort of tile detail. The hotel is located on I think the second floor of a building that it shares with some other businesses. The room was very clean and nicely decorated.

The bathroom was really clean and really nice. My room had a shared bathroom but there was never anyone in it when I went to use it/shower. The people at the reception desk were really kind and helpful. They gave me some pretty explicit directions to the Borghese Gallery, booked a taxi for me, and even let me use their personal laptop when I came back defeated because I couldn’t find the internet café they gave me directions to.

When I asked the reception desk attendant point blank why their fabulous little hotel was priced so much lower than its neighbors, he replied to me, “We don’t exaggerate”. Sounds good to me.

There’s also a great little jewelry shop across the way from the hotel, selling trendy and not too expensive necklaces (20 Euro), earrings, and bracelets. It was called LALA Italia. And a really good restaurant on the same street that I ate at, it was recommended in my Rick Steves book. I would stay here again without hesitation.

• Stayed September 2007, travelled solo
Delphi, Indiana
Reviewed 9 April 2009

What a great hotel to begin our trip! The Hotel Panda is located in a great spot, just a short walk from the Spanish Steps, the subway station, and shops/cafes'/restaurants galore. The staff is very helpful and our room (triple) was very comfortable. No frills but for our needs, it was just a perfect fit. Our hairdryer (German) fit our wall plugs but did not matchup with the Italian voltage?, but the staff gave us one with correct setup for our stay and took care of any need we had. Very private room overlooking a small courtyard (quiet). The card insert to control the lights was a unique feature (energy saver!) and the entrance doors and security locks very first rate. Although the towels and bathroom area were sparton, we adapted immediately. For location, cleanliness, value, and charm, the Panda would be a place to return to in Rome for many years!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
sydney australia
Reviewed 8 April 2009

We stayed here for 5 nights the beginning of April, as we read about it in Lonely Planet...as a budget accom. for 80-100 euro p/night. For a family of 4, (8 & 14) we paid 180 euro which was 360 Australian per night - so not cheap, but I guess good value(?) for Rome. The room we had was #31, right over the street..which is great ambiance, but at night VERY noisy...you can also hear people snoring, talking, jumping etc in rooms next door and above..luckily we had earplugs, or we would never have been able to sleep.
The room was very clean with a tiny ensuite...no coffee in the room (bummer) or tv - very basic, and upstairs were 2 single beds for our kids. The location is 2 minutes from the Spanish Steps and the poshest shopping district in Rome. It is a great base...but you don't want to stay here if you want to spend time in your room. Its a place to sleep (with ear plugs)

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank cazzi
Athens, Georgia
Reviewed 28 March 2009

After reading the reviews on tripadvisor, I expected to find small rooms. This was not that much of a problem for me and my husband. We had a nice double bed. The bathroom was a good size. We were in room #20, which was the first one next to the check in desk. It was a little noisy in the morning, but any other time we hardly noticed. The location was perfect. 2 blocks from the Spanish Steps and 3 blocks from Rome's shopping hotspot. The Spanga underground was next to the Spanish Steps, this makes getting around simple.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 11 March 2009

Located just minutes from the Spanish steps and the Spagna metro station and in the heart of the shopping district, the site is great, with a fabulous restaurant (L'Antica Enoteca) across the street. We had an extremely small room with bunk beds. With two suitcases and two people we struggled with a tiny closet and no room to manuver. Staff was not the most friendly, although did assist with specific requests when asked, such as reservations for local sites and train information. Sheets and towels were rough, and bathroom not the cleanest but certainly acceptable. We visited in February and the bathroom was so hot after a shower I sweltered -- can't imagine what it would be like in the summer. Price is right for sure, but be prepared to tough out a few small inconviences.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple