“Hrmmmm.....”
Review of Hostel Beauty

Hostel Beauty
Ranked #835 of 1,165 Speciality Lodging in Rome
Reviewed 4 March 2011

Firstly, would like to start by saying I have travelled a lot, am female and have often travelled alone, mostly as a backpacker with relatively low expectations when it comes to accommodation and a fairly high tolerance for cleanliness/noise etc. I stayed in a single room with ensuite and it was just terrible. The bathroom was really smelly and had no hot water (to be fair the guy at reception offered me another room to have a shower in, but I didnt have time at 9 in the morning as had to get a flight and was already dressed and packed). The heater wasn't working and there weren't many blankets in the bedroom. The room was pretty grim and with really dull light bulbs. As I said, I'd consider myself extremely well-travelled female however the way the guy behind reception spoke to me made me feel really uncomfortable. I'm sure he's a good laugh and can imagine you'd get a different experience travelling with another person/as a group, but when you consider he was speaking to a female customer travelling alone, the sexual innuendo and overfamiliarity was seriously inappropriate.

Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank skellbell

Reviewed 27 July 2010

I wanted to write this review asi have travelled a little bit and stayed in some great places and some bad places and more often than not you are more let down the more money you pay so a 5* hotel you are expecting to be amazing turns out not to be and a hostel you check in to cos you have no other option in africa turns out to be amazing.

I checked in to this place as i was moving to rome and was searching for a long term apartment let in the city. I thought i would stay in th ehostel one night, search and find my apt in th esame day and then leave to move in to my new dig the next day.

I arrived at the hostel early doors, paid 21Euro (owner just said give him 20) and was given my keys. I had booked to stay in a sharing room for 8 people as this was the cheapest and i just neeeded to stay one night. he put me in a room with 3 other people, 2 of which were checking out as i arrived. This place was not busy but if you know rome you know there are plenty of hostels around, especially so close to Termini (main train, bus and metro station)

The beds were made and they even gave me a clean towel as i didnt have one having just arrived from london.

the whole place was clean but i chose not to spend time there. There was no internet but there were plenty of clean and functioning bathrooms and toilets. one of th ebathrooms had obviously just been refurbished.

I always say that what makes an average place a good place is the service and the two guys seemed a little cold to begin with but i made an effort and they seemed nice enough. This was proven the following day for me and i wanted to write a review that was a) current, and b) fair/constructive as most people feel compelled to rave or slate places ontripadivsor which i dont think helps anyone.

On my first day i didnt find an apartment so had to look the following morning. The guys said checkout was 10am so i had to decide to book another night or lug my kit around with me looking for a flat - no chance. I agreed with the guy that if he looked after my bags until 3pm that if was not back to put them in my room and i woudl pay for another night. I did this co si felt i coudl trust them and thats important in this area of rome where thieves are everywhere. I called him at 7pm and explained i had found somewhere and that i was coming fo rmy bags and to pay him and they said not to bother paying them. normally you would have been stung for your money anywhre inthe world but these two guys didnt, they kept an eye on my stuff as promised and overall i was pretty impressed given ive had worse customer service in a hotel costing 10 times the money i paid there.

at the end of the day im not sure what people expect these days, for 20euro i expected to have an uncomfortable night in a dump from some of the reviews i read on here but it was close to the station and everything was clean and fresh. My only gripe would have been to have wireless there.

hope you find this review helpful.

Stayed: May 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 February 2010

I didn't like that much my bedroom but I'd love the city, the staff and the roommates... so it was very nicat the end! in my last night there they gave us a free pasta dinner... was very cool! :p I've to came back to rome one day...

Stayed: February 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 April 2009

We were quite dissapointed by this hostel, despite the fact that it was quite a good location and we had a simple room situated to the courtyard not to the noisy room, the staff was nice and helpful. But the toilets and bathroom were crap, really bad, not enough or no hot water, dirty. The hostel itself has no charm, it was too plain, just a place where you can sleep at a very low standard - beds were noisy and hard, people were talking loud late. And no breakfast included. Really do not recommend. You get too little for your money here!

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled with friends
1  Thank AdelaT
Reviewed 19 August 2007

My friend booked this hostel few weeks before we left for Rome. But, only one day prior to checking in, a staff emailed us to say that the rooms were fully booked and they had to move us to another hostel (which is run by the same owner). We checked the website they gave and saw that the hostel was okay so we agreed to move. However, we found out when we arrived that the nice room on the website was not for us. The room we were given was on the upper floor which was really dark, dirty and terrible. Everything in the room was completely ruined. There was no lock on the door (actually, the door cannot even be shut properly). We had to use a rope to tie. The only bathroom (which was very very very dirty, full of hairs) was to be shared among almost 30 persons. There was no electricity, the mirror was broken, the toilet didn't work and the water from the tap was just dripping. Please please..stay away from this place. You'll never know when anyone's going to break into your room! This place is dangerous, dirty, and completely worn out!!!

• Stayed: March 2005, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
1  Thank nattysjourney
Reviewed 25 April 2007

We stayed in a twin room with en-suite bathroom in October 2006. The place was terrible. The room was tiny, there were hardly any blankets on the bed, so we got terribly cold at night. The bathroom stank, and everything was run-down and shabby.
If you want my advice - stay away!!!

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank MegsPortElizabeth
A TripAdvisor Member
Scotland
Reviewed 19 November 2005

Most rooms in the hotel have 'broken' bathrooms thus the occupants are required to walk past reception everytime they want to go to the one working bathroom in the hotel. The 2m by 2m room also doubles as a shower. Try walking past people booking in in a towel - its fun. The price of our room was negotiated by the receptionist scoring off sample prices with the room keys into the paint on the walls of our room. Everyday the loud owners woke us up before nine and as a leaving gift someone with keys to the room stole my shaver. If you are going to Rome stay some where else.

• Stayed: August 2005