“Wonderful holiday”

Ranked #1,122 of 1,257 Hotels in Rome
London, United Kingdom
“Wonderful holiday”
Reviewed 24 November 2013 via mobile

I've been in this hotel for a week end in November... I was a bit afraid because of the other rewiew but I can say that I really felt home. My room was on the third floor and of I remember well the number should be 334. That room has 3 windows, it' s a very big room and you got 3 different views, one on the main street, the other one on Castro Pretorio, and another looks the cross. It could seem that it' s a noisy room, but believe me I did not hear traffic or other noises... There is wifi connection Also in the room, obviously for extra charge, like the other hotels in the same area. The staff was young, and they will advice you about restaurants, excursions, bars, disco, museums, churches, pubblic transportation everything you need to enjoy your holidays! We checked in more or less at 2 p.m., the receptionist gave us a map and showed us the route to get to Colisseum, and Spanish Steps by walk!!! We did it and she was right! It took 20 minutes!!!! Wow!!!!! Definitely I think that this hotel is the best choise it you want to stay in the downtown, even if because it is not exepensive... I will recommend it to all my friends!

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Venere M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
Riga, Latvia
Reviewed 18 November 2013 via mobile

Bad hotel. No hot water 80% of time. Problems with shower - didn't work door. Water in shower doesn't go out. We was told about this problem on reception,but problem doesn't resolved.
Wifi 5 Euro per 12h. Very expensive in 21 century. And work just with one device.
Breakfast in 9.00 ful for 15% .
But very good roomkeaper. Every day room was cleaned.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank Barkas333

Travellers are raving about these Rome hotels

New York City, New York
Reviewed 16 November 2013 via mobile

I Spent in this family-run hotel 3 days in November. The room was great, it was very clean and everything worked Well. The TV worked even if it has just italian channels, the wifi work properly, the heating was super and at the end of the Day I could take my shower in a Marble Jacuzzi shower... I really loved it!!!! the staff was great, they gave me a lot of good advices! I recomend it!

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Selene M
Reviewed 11 November 2013

I only paid 40$ a night, but i still think this hotel sucks.. Its clean, but old, and nothing works.

We had cold water for 5 days and tv did not work.

The area is ok, but not great. Pretty far away from the attractions but close to the termini, main metro and bus station

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kasper C
lolly89, Proprietario at Hotel Philia, responded to this review, 22 November 2013
Hello Mr Casper,
I'm very sorry for your experience but I'd like to remember you that you choosed a B&B and you arrived here, in a 3 stars, just because they had an overbooking. We hold your booking without changing conditions.
I can understand you were disappointed but we always try to offer to our guests the best service we can do! We immediately fixed the problem with the hot water.
We use to check the conditions of our rooms everyday to avoid inconvenience to the guests.
I hope to see you again in our hotel in order to change your opinion
Best Regards
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 May 2013

The pictures online of this hotel are completely different then the actual hotel. The area of the hotel is not great and definitely not safe after dark. Our rooms had no A/C, TV didn't work, and we had to have phones brought to our room. The cleaning staff spent a total of 5 minutes cleaning the room. You must be buzzed into your floor for security purposes. The doors to the third flood appear to have been broken through because the glass is shattered. This is not a family friendly hotel. Very Noisy, Smelly, and hot!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank Sara J
Radstock
Reviewed 24 May 2013

Hotel Philia is in a reasonably central situation, just a few minutes from both the main railway station/Metro (Termini) and Metro (Castro Pretorio). The Metro is seemingly always crowded and one rarely gets a seat. However, a MetroBus ticket for a week only costs 24 euro. If you enjoy walking, then all major sites of interest are within fairly easy reach.

The building in which the hotel is situated has other hotels within but the security is pretty good with CCTV in various places and access to various parts of the hotel is governed by doors that are unlocked by reception when the door buzzer is pressed. The single lift can be a bit of a bind to wait for - it only caters for 2 people at a time.

Our room (402 on the 4th floor) was very clean (done every day), nice large comfortable bed, changes to bedding frequent, shower/toilet cramped but no problem with hot water. We were above the road Viale Castro Pretorio - traffic was noisy even with the windows firmly closed.

Breakfast (not a cooked one) was superb with plenty of choice. All staff were most pleasant and helpful. The bracket on which the shower head hung had broken but was fixed the next morning after reporting it.

Bars etc in the area are generally averagely priced - 3 to 5 euro for a half litre of lager, although we did find a basement wine bar quite close to the hotel which charged only 3 euro for a 66cl bottle of Peroni Nastro Azzurro.

Overall a wonderful week's holiday, certainly helped by Hotel Philia which we fully intend to use again.

Room Tip: Try to get close to the ground floor so that you don't have to rely on the lift!
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Coffeeandjuice
lolly89, Proprietario at Hotel Philia, responded to this review, 27 May 2013
Dear Coffeandjuice,
We always try to do our best for our guests and we are really proud of ourselves when we read that you had a "splendid treatment".
Thank you for the kind words and I do hope to see you once again in the future if you ever decide to return to Rome.
Warmest regards
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed 26 September 2012

Me and my girlfriend spent three nights at this basic and poor tasted lodging. We had the worst experience, especially from the service given. We did not have hot water in our shower and though we alerted the staff about it 4 times, nothing was done. Each time we were given a different excuse. At the last time the owner of the place explained us plainly that if we are the only one complaining then there must not be a problem, thus calling us liars. He didn't even gave us the courtesy of checking.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank eyal_nnn
lolly89, Direttore at Hotel Philia, responded to this review, 27 September 2012
Dear Guest,
We usually use to trust to our guests and we also use to check if there is something wrong with the rooms or if they have a problem. We checked your room and there was the hot water, you and your girlfriend were the only two guest in the hotel to complain about that. We were fully-booked so we should think that probably the problem didn't exist. Nobody else complained about hot water!!!
We never accused a guest to be a liar. I'm very disasppointed. You also came here a lot of times asking for a special price or a discount, we gave you the best deal we had and you got all the service like breakfast, hot water and all the others that we use to give to our guest.
Regards