“awfull”

Ranked #743 of 1,093 Speciality Lodging in Rome
Frankfurt, Germany
“awfull”
Reviewed 20 September 2013

I booked a double room in this hostel.
The room was very dark with just a little window high up in the ceiling were nearly no sun came in and were you couldn't look out.. It was very could, so that I was freezing the whole night. The room had a very unlovingly and cold athmosphere like in a cellar.
The hostel is far away from the center and the main attractions. In the day time it's ok, because the subwaystation is near (although you have to change the number once). In the evening/night it's annoying, because the subway closes very early and you have to take a taxi, which is quite expensive in Rome.
But as if this would not have been enough, a thing intolerable happened:
when I was leaving the hostel I gave the key to the stuff in the front desk and asked, whether it's ok, when I come back later in the night. They said to me this would be no problem. Actually I came back to the hostel about three o'clock in the night, and the front door was locked. I ringed the bell a long time, and nothing happend, then I started to knock on the door and the windows realy hardly, but nobody opened. After a long time of despair, I started to walk around the house, and discovered, that the backdoor was open. I went in and nobody was there. It was dark.The reception desk was unattended. I took my key by myself. All the other keys were unattended.
The next day I was complaining to the head of ths hostel. He went quite aggressive and ment, this would have been a normal sitation.
I would nobody recommend to book in this hostel!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo

Families
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 8 August 2013

Youth Station Hostel is by far the worst hostel I've ever stayed in. We stayed during a few of the hottest days of the year and hoped we had found a great home away from home to provide a bit of comfort for us after full days of sightseeing. Instead, we were subjected to inhumane conditions not even suitable for Guantanamo Bay prisoners. We were placed in the South American room, but a more appropriate title would have been "Dude Sauna". The 8 males staying in the room quickly created a hot, stuffy atmosphere aided by the complete lack of proper ventilation. After a few showers and use of the restroom facilities the room mirrored a New York City dump in the summer time. The horrid smell and thick air could not be dispelled despite the best efforts of myself and the other guests. Considering the hot temperatures, from 42C - 44C it was already difficult to maintain the energy needed to properly experience Rome's attractions. Without the benefit of a good nights sleep it becomes nearly impossible to fully appreciate the sights. Unfortunately, we were victims of absolutely wretched sleep because of the stuffy room and lack of AIR CONDITIONING or even a sub par alternative. Anything would have been a godsend - they didn't even try to make the situation better. No fan, no portable solution and no apologies. Each night we were forced to wake up periodically in order to turn our pillows to the "dry side" because of the profuse sweat incurred in the unlivable conditions. I'd not only give Youth Hostel 0 stars, I'd actually report their hostel to the Rome tourism office. They provided unlivable conditions without any advanced warning. It was dangerous, unhygienic and intolerable. Not only will I never stay at this hostel again, I'll go out of my way to make sure others don't experience the same horrible experience. Any review site I can use will display this negative, yet honest, review.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Steven R

Travellers are raving about these Rome hotels

Madrid, Madrid, Spain
Reviewed 11 May 2013

First off, the atmosphere in this place is eerie (think of the lighting in a Saw movie) the wifi barely worked, the bathroom in the common room was out of service during our whole stay and upon our arrival the manager insisted that they only accept cash. The thing that really set me over the edge was when i desperately needed to use the printer to print my boarding pass and the person working there claimed that the printer was broken. He then proceeded to give us crappy directions to a cyber cafe that was to close in 30 minutes. After unsuccessfully finding it he gave us directions again and said if it was closed then he would help us print (blatantly lying about the malfunctioning printer). Through out all of this he had the audacity to seem slightly amused by our distress. Dont waste your money, would have rather camped out under the Roman Sky.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Rab7
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 19 August 2012

I stayed here with a friend in February.

The positives:
- Free internet and use of computers
- Fridge/kitchen facilities
- Bathroom was just used for the 6 people in my dorm and it was clean, looked new
- 5 minute walk from the train station, and a day pass on the subway was only 4 euros
- Right next to a supermarket
- Some nice restaurants in the area

The negatives:
- Too far to get there by taxi, will cost you a fortune
- Bedding was quite thin, it was freezing and snowing when I was there
- Staff fairly disinterested
- Not the easiest place to find, tucked away

If you're on a budget, it's not a bad place to go!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank MissColetteP
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 3 July 2012

When you first arrive here you may feel as if you're pretty far from all the main attractions, and whilst it is fairly quiet in the surrounding areas, the train station is only footsteps away.

The hostel does not have much of a party atmosphere by any means, but you can always socialise with the others in your room (we had a 6 person mixed room).
Everything is pretty basic; the beds, rooms, breakfast service, internet, etc. There are lockers in the rooms to store your belongings. As others have mentioned, when you leave the hostel for the day you do need to leave your room key (with attached locker key) at the front desk, which some might not be comfortable with,

The service here was okay - we were able to get help with directions pretty easily.
If the rates are competitive, i'd recommend staying here. Otherwise i'd go elsewhere.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
Siena
Reviewed 17 May 2012

This hostel was the iconic realization of dirty, bad, cheap European hostel. The manager insisted that the credit card machine was broken and made me walk (as a young woman by myself) to the nearest ATM--at 11 PM, by myself, in a large city. I did not at all feel safe the entire night--inside or outside the hostel. The rooms were meager, at best, and the showers were disgusting. The beds were uncomfortable, and the tops bunks had no railings to prevent you from falling off. Quite frankly, I would have rather stayed overnight at the train station.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Timisoara, Romania
Reviewed 12 May 2012

According to the fact that Rome is such an expensive city, this is okay if you are on a budget. I was not comfortable there because i had to sleep in the room with strangers , but this place is usually intended for young people who backpack through Europe/ Italy. The bed was clean and okay. You get a bathroom in the room and you only share it with the people living there.
It was an okay place to stay at. No luxury, but decent!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo