“Gross!”

Ranked #743 of 1,091 Speciality Lodging in Rome
London
“Gross!”
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Do not go here! I have bed bugs and the sheets were blood stains and holes on! After several days I had a bed bugs bites which obviously came from there gross sheets which I couldn't even sleep on after the 3rd night
The bathroom is vile
Wet floor which became very dangerous and so couldn't use it at all!
Manager did not help when conceded with the dangerous floor

• Stayed August 2014
2 Thank Hostelhopper123

Families
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Mandurah, Australia
Reviewed 25 July 2014

If you like silver linings, this place isn't for you.

PROS:
-check out.

CONS:
-advised upon arrival to take a seat by receptionist because he was eating dinner and would check me in when he was finished, which was 15 minutes later. Not what I wanted to hear after a long day traveling.
-rude reception, bent passport during check in.
-lockers can be opened with a credit card swipe through lock mechanism.
-'24 hour reception' that was closed at 3am when I needed to get back into the hostel. Had to bang on the window of a room in order to wake a guest up to open a door.
-bathrooms are barely functional and the toilet cistern in my room was covered with a garbage bag to catch leakage.
-electrical points are hit and miss, some covered in mold.
-arrogant hostel manager, more interested in collecting cash from reception than helping guests.
-lock on bathroom didn't work half the time, and the other half it jammed.

Honestly, I have travelled all over Europe and have not had any major issues with my accommodation but this place was truly a nightmare.

• Stayed July 2014
3 Thank natescott

Travellers are raving about these Rome hotels

Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

I've never seen such rude and unwelcoming behaviour on hostel staff. On top of all: their price of a bed is 16 euros but if you come there without reservation they make you pay more! They made us pay 20 euros and when we asked why we did not get any explanation, we did not get any receipt either, but since we had no where else to go we had to stay there. Some people that came after us even had to pay 25 euros!!! It is really evil that they fool unknowing people like this! The hostel did not have what they promised! The wifi did not work, the kitchen was gross, the dorms were narrow hallways with prison bunks as beds and the bathroom was really nasty! The whole place was in fact nasty.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Malena L
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Horrible staff. Shiiiiiit customer service. Filthy. Other people in the room/s had bed bugs. Threatening emails from the manager when I told them about my bad experience. Would not recommend. Spend a little more and go for something a bit better

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank deeseenz
New York, NY
Reviewed 13 February 2014

Other than its great location just a few blocks from the metro, this is one of the worst hostels I've ever stayed in.

Yes, it had wifi, yes it had a mini-kitchen area (not a full kitchen, nobody cooked), and yes there was a common area with tables where people could mingle and chat about their adventures that day, but there was no liveliness, heart, or warmth to the place at all.

Bottom line, this hostel was managed very very poorly when i stayed, by a staff that could not care less. They had no interest in answering questions, or being available. The security in the place was also terrifying. You were not allowed to take your keys out of the hostel, and everybody kept their personal belongings in a locker in their room. Also, guests here all appeared younger than 25, so be warned ye older travelers.

The rooms were long and extremely narrow like a hallway so that people could not chat and there was no way for people to easily move around the rooms. The showers felt filthy. In fact, the whole place did. The entrance was through an alleyway by a parking lot, which also felt unsafe.

If you have other options, do not stay here.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
Ireland
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Well it was the last stop of our trip and it was lashing rain in Rome for the duration so perhaps it made the hostel a bit more gloomy. It was near the metro which was handy but the area it's in, there wasnt much to do.

I was disappointed that they allowed a 60 year old woman to stay who had obvious mental health issues and kept accussing us all who were staying in the dorm of trying to attack her or rob her. She also came in on myself and my friend whenever we were in the toilet and snook up on my friend during the night at one stage and this was not pleasant for us and we were very uncomfortable. When we brought the situation to the staff they both (on 2 different occasions) responded by saying she was cuccoo, and in which case it wasn't fair to the rest of us having to deal with her. The hostel stated clearly it was for 30 year olds or under. I am in no way ageist and would not have a problem sharing a room with anyone older but the fact that she aggitated us so much bothered me and I lost a full night sleep because of fear of it to be honest with what she would do.

If she hadn't had been let stay there maybe I would have preferred the hostel. Rooms were far too crampy though.

Wouldn't go back

Room Tip: There all tiny, pick a better hostel with a better location.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Emma C
Casalnuovo di Napoli, Italy
Reviewed 12 November 2013

First of all, they didnt have what they promise, the reception wasnt open 24hrs, the guys from the reception were rude, and didnt help me out with any problems, the bathroom was really small and the shower was terrible and the doors didnt close, so every time someone take a shower, the whole room become a pool.
the worst part is that the beds were really uncomffortable and they were filled with bugs!, i got bite more than 50 times by little bugs that live in every bed in the room. when i told to the administrator about the situation, he told me that it happen in every hostel and that he cant do anything to help me.
im just making this review to let the backpckers know that if you will go to rome, please dont stay at the youth station hostel!! it can ruin your trip

Room Tip: dont stay here!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends