Holiday Inn Express Rome - San Giovanni
US$954
US$468
  • Restaurant
1,061 results
All reviewsponte lungotuscolana stationtrain noisehi expresstrain lineoverlooking the courtyardyogurtminute walkhotel is locatedfiumicino airportresidential areamain attractionsvery nice hotelbreakfast was excellentmetro stoppublic transportationbeds were comfortable
Reviewed 6 June 2014

The hotel is clean compared to other hotels in Rome, the only complained I have is that the breakfast buffet was boring, we stayed there for a week and by the fourth day we couldn't stand eating the same thing. It was also a little disappointed to see so much garbage in the neighborhood and graphite.

Room Tip: Chose a room with balcony.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Roberto C, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Rome - San Giovanni, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for your review, but let me say I was surprised reading your complain about the Hot American Breakfast Buffet’s choice because usually the other Guest’s review about the breakfast are enthusiastic.

The Buffet offers more than 100 items you can have always in room rate included, many of them freshly home made as pastries, season fruit gateaux, candied or dried fruit cakes and croissants. Oven cooked bacon, salami, turkey ham, varied of cheese, hot scramble eggs, fruit salad, variety of cereals, muesli, fruit - flavored yoghurt, jams, butter, honey, creamy chocolate, fruit juices, fresh fruits, sorted of bread, biscuits, American and barley coffee, decaf, hot chocolate drink, variety of teas, full fat and skimmed milk, espresso and cappuccino are always served, just to write some of them.

The area is a residential district usually very quiet and absolutely safe, concerning the graffiti, the centre of Rome is like any other capital city of Europe, with the striking conflict between the historic monuments and the modern life.
The street Assisi, where the Hotel is located, is cleaned by the Rome’s City Council once a week, usually on Friday, but do not forget recently there was a strike of the dustmen, probably you stayed in that period.

Looking forward to welcome you as preferred Guest next time you will travel to Rome, I wish you all the best.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

I also do not know why people complain; this hotel is modern, clean with reasonable sized rooms. The breakfast buffet had a wide range of food and was regularly replenished, we enjoyed the variety and also coffee. It's in a quiet area and although we didn't have a drink in the courtyard, it looked very pleasant.
As a member of IHG we had access to the wifi and we found it adequate and not difficult to log on and the speed was ok. We weren't there for work but just used it for checking emails and also booking visits to the Vatican etc.
As far as the transport and local area, yes there's graffiti but as far as I could see most of Rome is covered in it and as two females we did not find the area intimidating at all and were out until 11pm both nights. The transport we thought was really good, we used both the 85 and 16 buses, stop at the end of the road; using these we could get to the Colosseum or Termini easily and pass by some of the amazing sights. (The Rome 3 day card was excellent value.) The walk to the overground station was 5 minutes although we didn't use it as the Metro was more convenient but a bit further away- 10 minutes.
For the price I think this hotel would be hard to beat - I really hope to return!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Roberto C, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Rome - San Giovanni, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Dear Valued Guest,
let me first of all thank you for your marvelous review on your stay at our Hotel because to read such an approval worlds on the Staff skill and on the property is for us reason of real satisfaction doing this job.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

For the price of this hotel It makes cringe and shake my head to some of the negative contributions on here I have seen. As a relaxed traveler I thought I would address a few negative points I have seen on here lately.

It was a great hub and a base for exploring Rome with all members of staff always there to assist you, even at 2am.

The breakfast was hearty and filled you up for the at least the whole morning with a range of cereal, and eggs and bacon etc.

Why do you need wifi if you are on holiday? I would expect if you were on business in Rome, you would have asked the relevant questions regarding internet facilities before you pre book.

The area looked nice having walked off the beaten track, and I frequented local restaurants and went to a local pub late at night with no problems whatsoever, so I refute any suggestions that the area "didn't look safe".

The train station to the International airport is an extremely short walk from the hotel, as is the metro stop ponte lungo. It baffles me as to how many people can complain about it been so far from the centre when it is 2 stops from the main central station and on the same line as the vatican. Maybe I am just more tolerant to travelling more than some.

Lastly, I would have preferred if the hotel had more substantial evening meals as opposed to just a few snacks, but it wasn't a real issue as there were many restaurants near by. The courtyard was very nice to have your breakfast in, and to have a drink on the evening too.

For a 3 star hotel, it was certainly more than adequate and would recommend to people looking for a good value hotel in Rome, but obviously it is not the Ritz as some people seem to falsely expect.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Everynamestaken1

Dear Valued Guest,
I cannot explain how much I appreciated your review!
The world you wrote make the difference between world-wide Traveler knowing what are they talking about and simply Tourists going abroad once in a life time, who are thinking to be able to give verdicts only because the new social media allow them.

We will be very pleased to have you once again as preferred Guest, do not forget to contact me for a direct reservation.

Yours’ faithfully

Reviewed 31 May 2014

Let me start off by saying this was the THIRD 3 star hotel we stayed in during our recent trip to Europe. I feel I have the benefit of being able to compare this hotel to similar quality places in Madrid and Paris. We booked this place (knowing it was off the beaten path) because we were looking for a clean, safe environment that provides breakfast. I guess you could say we found that. Our limited interactions with the staff were ok, though we didn't feel particularly welcome on arrival. To keep it fair, I'll start with the good things:

The price

felt safe

very clean

good room size

offer free wifi to IHG club members (see below)

ground level room with a door to the courtyard--that was nice for breakfast (and dinner, on occasion)

Things that bothered me:

We booked a non-smoking room. The only thing non-smoking about our room is that the ashtray was on our table in the courtyard. Our room still smelled like an ashtray.

No safe in the room! We had safes everywhere else we stayed! We just locked our valuables into one of the suitcases and had no problems, but I would have been much happier with a safe.

The "free" wifi is only offered to IHG club members (it is easy and free to sign up in advance), but that only gets you their "basic" internet..which is very slow. They gave us a paper that said we could pay 9 euro per day for a faster connection. Ok, so I was just glad to have internet...but don't promise me free wifi, then tell me to pay to get the good stuff only when I check in! It just bothered me. Also, the login is cumbersome, and it disconnects you after a few minutes of non-use. which means you literally have to go through the whole login every time you pick up your device or turn on your computer. They limit access to only 2 devices at a time, and they only give you a limited number of hours online at a time. Basically, I felt like I had to jump through hoops to join their club, then again to get access at the hotel, then again EVERY time I wanted to check my email...and it was all for very slow internet. They may be trying to build loyalty by getting people to join the IHG club, but if this is how it is everywhere, I'm going to start avoiding these hotels. Hotels with free wifi are a dime a dozen these days (sorry I know that was a long rant).

The breakfast was about average for these hotels. It was definitely edible, but it was the worst of the 3 hotels we stayed in this trip.

Location--I booked knowing where this hotel was, so I really shouldn't complain. BUT, getting to the metro is a good hike and it took a long time to get into the city. We were usually able to get where we needed to be if we left an hour early. Furthermore, while it is certainly not the worst part of town, we usually felt much better getting back before it got too late--while there were still a lot of people out. Because of this, we usually ended up opting for dinner near the hotel, which is a shame because there aren't that many choices. They will respond to this review by telling me the hotel is actually very close, but I can tell you I walked it multiple times a day and it is not as close as they'd like you to believe.

All in all, I'd say we had a decent experience in Rome DESPITE this hotel, not because of it. The price was right and the hotel was clean and had a nice interior, but I just felt like all the little things added up and I was overall disappointed. The location was really the straw that broke the camel's back. If this hotel had a metro right outside it's door, or if it were a little closer to the historical city, I wouldn't hesitate to book again. As it stands now, I'd probably pay a little more to stay closer next time.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ml4kat

Dear ml4kat from Denver,
As wrote from two smart Guests after read your review, I don’t really understand what about your complain is based on.

You wrote some good things you found in the Hotel, as the cleanliness, the safety or the reasonable price, things we consider essential, but I cannot understand your critiques about smoke smell in a non smoking-room, no safe in the room, free wi-fi, breakfast and location.

Please note all the details left you disappointed, have been written by me on our official web-site, exempli gratia the lack of the in-room safe, but it is at disposal for free at the Front Desk, or the distance from the nearest Metro Station of Pontelungo is exactly 750 meters as Goolge Maps asserts, so the mistake has been made by you at time of reservation because you have been aware of you would found.

I’ve been always very honest with all my replays and with the details about our property with the purpose to avoid any kind of misunderstanding, thus I kindly invite you to read carefully all the previous reviews and my returns.

Probably if you did before, you discovered our Hotel wouldn’t be the right for you, but you would have reserved in a more central located Hotel with more comfort but a different rate, anyway nothing has been hide to let you reserve at our structure.

Please note the Wi-fi internet service is free from Jan. the 1st - 2014 for any IHG Rewards Member, thus to have it as complimentary will be enough to became an IHG Rewards Member asking for the enrollment form at the Reception Desk: this is our way to upgrade the Customers for their fidelity.
We provide for free 512 kbytes enough to read his private e-mails of to find general information, but if you need to upload heavy pictures or to download movies you need a powerful connection with 20 megabytes at the rates below indicated:
€ 2,00 for 1 hour
€ 5,00 for 3 hours
€ 9,00 for 24 hours

This connection could be used by two different devices at the same time and you are free to log-in and log-off all times you need.
The system switched off automatically after 7 minutes of non-use for security reason, because if you leave your device un-attended everybody could use it, therefore you should be grate of this setting.

I do apologize for the room smelling of smoke, but if you came immediately to the Reception to let us know we would provide another room immediately. Please note prior the check-in of each Guest, all the rooms are treated with a brand new sanitizing solution based on Nascent Oxigen (Ozone).
It destroys bacteria and viruses, sterilizes surfaces and objects, disinfects bathroom and facilities, prevent the development of fungus and moulds even inside the air condition system, eliminates insect nestled in carpets, pillows and mattresses without leaving any residues or smells by acting a powerful oxidizing action to all parenchyma.

Regarding the Breakfast, I find very hard to trust you because all the other Guests are really happy about our Hot American Breakfast Buffet, always in room rate included. One of these wrote it was even better the breakfast served in most the Hotels in the USA!

I leave further reflections to your worlds to the Tripadvisor Followers because I think everybody could evaluate if your judgment is based on facts or is worthless.

Kind regards

Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

When the hotel we thought we had booked for 5 nights in Rome failed to have our reservation, we took this 3 star Holiday Inn as a last minute booking. It couldn't have been better - walking distance to bus, metro and train. Modern rooms, many breakfast options, a nice bar with happy hour, and helpful front desk staff that spoke English made this a great stay for my husband and me and another couple.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Retired6812
Roberto C, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Rome - San Giovanni, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Dear Valued Guest,
let me first express my acknowledgments for you kind review upon your recent stay with us, it is for us reason of proud to carry on this way because the Guest’s satisfaction is our priority.

Roberto Cangrande