“bad service. not-so-nice staff. near the Vatican.”

Les Chambres d'Or Hotel
Ranked #1,059 of 1,257 Hotels in Rome
Helsinki, Finland
“bad service. not-so-nice staff. near the Vatican.”
Reviewed 15 August 2013

This hotel is near the Vatican. Perhaps the only good thing about it.
Me and 7 other friends booked this hotel because of its location and the promise of good service and air-conditioned rooms. When we arrived at the hotel, our rooms were NOT READY! The air-conditioner was not working. We asked the staff to check on it, while they did, they kept complaining the whole time. There was this one lady who called to the receptionist and told the receptionist that the guests do not understand that air-conditioners take time to cool up. While this is true, their air-conditioners were really not cooling up (eventually, the repairman came the next day to fix their air-conditioners. They should thank us for informing them about the problem!).
We talked to another lady, who turned out to be the owner of this hotel, and told her that we would like to transfer to another room. She was mad and irritated at us to the point that she told us we could leave and look for another hotel (it was 1am). One of my friends then answered back by saying that if that is the case, she should look for a hotel for us and book it for us! It is the hotel's responsibility to provide their customers a good place to sleep in. She was put back into her place and she eventually gave us new rooms, which has working air-conditioners. By the way, this owner lied to us about her name, she said her name was DANIELLA. We never found out her real name, but we were just told by the other staffs that she is not Daniella.
The rooms were big. The shower was not spacious. The bed sheets had holes in them. They cleaned the room everyday!
The hotel is separated from its restaurant. You would have to walk at least 100m to have your breakfast. They served fresh bread every morning, natural yogurt, coffee, cereals... It was just ok, not really good.
The parking space was also in a different place, about 500m from the hotel. It has a daily rent of about 20€ and you cannot take the car for a drive even for just an hour otherwise you lose your space.
WE WILL NEVER COME BACK TO THIS HOTEL, NOR WOULD WE RECOMMEND THIS TO ANYONE!!!!!

Room Tip: Book this hotel if you want to be treated poorly. ;)
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank AC_Robin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
oxford
Reviewed 8 June 2013

I called and booked for 3 nights and sent an email confirming my dates for myself and my sister.

I asked when I called if Sam (the man who owned this place still did own it) I was told yes he did.

I was so looking forward to seeing Sam and his wonderful staff again.

We arrived to find no booking recorded and then I am told that they have only one room available and only for two nights. We waited an hour to be told this.

In the past when you arrived Sam would on your arrival, provide you with a drink of your choice and a selection of snacks for you to enjoy in the sunshine. This was always the start to such a relaxing time at Les Chambres d'Or Hotel.

This time I paid for drinks and a snack whilst we waited for them to provide me with the two night booking.

I kid you not the dog who lives there it seems in the reception area received more attention than me and my sister.

I should have walked away and looked for alternative accommodation but I had told my sister who had come from America so much about this wonderful quirky place I didn't. I thought it was just a hiccup as when I asked if Sam was available I was told he was not there. I thought OK, I would mention to him his staff's attitude later. I only recognised one member of staff and he recognised me and smiled but was not working on the reception. The others I did not recognise.

I was asked to pay before seeing our room. BAD MISTAKE!!!

It was in the building on the corner near the reception area. I had had a room there before and I enjoyed staying it.

This time I was let into a room so dark and gloomy my heart sank. We laughed at the fact we were going to have share a bed again after 40 years..

My sister and I being the kind of people we are thought OK we have paid lets make the best of it as really all we wanted was a place to sleep and a shower.

So a freshen up and out. Late in and straight to bed as so much to do and so little time. We were tired, as we had just flown in from Paris having done two and a half days there. It was a whistle stop tour as my sister had never seen anything of Europe.

So when the BANGING started just before 7 AM I thought I was dreaming it. It was no dream and it did not stop. The banging was coming from the floor below us. It was brick removal banging, sledge hammer. Bang, bang, bang!!!!

So we laugh it off as our early morning wake up call. Except I really was not laughing now.

We went over to see if the café was open for breakfast but most of all I went straight to reception to find it empty except for the dog. I saw the young man I had recognised the day before a stopped him to ask if I could speak with Sam.

The told me Sam no longer owned Les Chambres d'Or Hotel!!!!!!!!!!!

I explained my disappointment. I had been lead to believe on all my contact that he still did. I then explained why we were up so early and could I speak to someone about the rude awakening we received that morning. He said he would find someone from reception.

An hour and a half later I could wait no more. I called my friend in England and ask if they could search for alternative accommodation. This they did and with that and not one person coming to see us we went back to the room and packed our things. The BANGING was still going on.

Back to reception!

Had a chat with the dog as nobody available to talk to me. Finally a person came. I explained the situation and my total disappointment as a guest and said that we had no alternative but to leave and that I was requesting a refund on my credit card for the second night. This I did not find unreasonable. The person said they did not have the authority to do this and would have to ask the owner. At this I laughed and said who "Sam". I did this because all the literature about Les Chambres d'Or Hotel in the reception area still featured Sam and his staff!!!!

So yet another wait.

The owners response, who I never met, was no. They would not refund me the night we were not staying but that they were able to offer me a different room.. WHAT!!!

Yesterday, I was given the last room and for only two not three nights.

All I can say is I booked direct and LOST my money. I never did meet the owner, just the owners dog. LOL.

My sister thought I was asking for a refund in full as she would have asked for this. When I explained that I was just asking for a refund on the night we would not be staying she was thought I was being soft. I am not soft, we had stayed one night and no matter how bad it was I would pay.

The fact that I was refused a refund on the second night showed me the type of establishment it had become. The fact the owner never had a conversation with me tops it.

I walked away with my head high and with no confrontation as where would that get me. They were staff who worked here. Well when you could find them.

We moved to Hotel Gravina San Pietro and very nice it was too.

This place was just as close but without the high prices of eating out.

Bottle of wine 4.50 instead of 15+ in the café on the main road. Also a supermarket at the end of the road. A balcony, a roof top restaurant / bar area with a direct view of the Basilica.

I would never, never, never, ever again return to Les Chambres d'Or Hotel.

The dog was treated better than us.

Room Tip: I can no longer advise.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank chocbox

Travellers are raving about these Rome hotels

Portland, Maine
Reviewed 15 May 2013

I have been to many different hotels across Europe and the US and I am not picky at all but this hotel was awful! It's not even a hotel! It's an apartment building and the "hotel" are rooms that are sectioned off on one part of the building hallway. Literally, it's a hallway that has a private door and there are about 7 rooms which is the "hotel," and that's why the reception is across the street. My significant other and I were there for 4 days and I could barely shower because the shower head had NO pressure at all, the sink had more water pressure! The walls had mold everywhere, and the sheets on the beds were dirty and even ripped. I was so disappointed, I would NOT recommend it.
The only reason why I liked this hotel was because of the location. You are right in the center, minutes of a walk away from the Vatican!

(We also noticed the next day when the sheets were changed, whoever did it just flipped the sheets the other way around and I noticed this because I spilled a little bit of coffee on the sheet next to my head the night before and that part was on the bottom, turned the other way the next morning.)

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Srbija29
chicago, IL
Reviewed 6 May 2013

Very confusing checking in since front desk in different building than where room was. There needs to be signage to let guest know where to go when first arriving. Staff also works at restaurant next store which also makes things confusing and not sure who was who. Bathroom was smaller and dark with only one light bulb. Positive was they did give us the room we wanted since noticed a brighter room when walking to our original room on same floor. Room size was good for European hotel room and Internet worked well. Location is very good with Vatican only couple blocks away and train station very close as well.

Room Tip: Don't be afraid to ask for an upgrade. They are very accommodating. Also go into the restaurant...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 1 May 2013

This Hotel was a disgrace. My room was dirty with exposed open wall sockets. The head board of the bed was for a queen and it had a full size bed. They took one of the bed side wall lamps down and covered it with a sign. We reserved rooms at the Vatican Garden Inn and when we arrived we walked four blocks away to his dump. My traveling companion couldn't take a shower becasue the drain was clogged. They did move her. The place is ran by a bunch of Vietnemese folks. Not what you would expect in Rome. What happened to the Romans.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank wayne H
Krakow, Poland
Reviewed 16 February 2013

I arrived to the hotel in the morning and I was able to storage my luggage, till my room will be ready, at the reception desk which is across the building I stayed, in Rendez-vour rastaurant/bar.
For the guests there is 10% discount in that restaurant as well as it's the breakfast place in the morning.The hotel is located very short walk from the metro Ottaviano San Pietro and it's 8min walk to the St. Peter's Basilica and 5 min walk to the Vatican Museum. My room was very comfortable with tv and nice big bathroom, the bed was a little too soft and it made noise but I slept ok.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 14 February 2013

The staffs were very helpful and friendly. We had the Quadruple room on the 1st floor. It was spacious and quiet. Location is superb with many restaurants and convenience store around. It is a short 10 minutes’ walk to the Vatican. We also strolled to the Panteon and the Trevi fountain. The hotel also arranged for our shuttle from/to FCO airport.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family