“Amazing room/service, excellent staff... BEWARE of the old man”

Les Chambres d'Or Hotel
Ranked #1,068 of 1,257 Hotels in Rome
“Amazing room/service, excellent staff... BEWARE of the old man”
Reviewed 15 November 2010

My parents and I were on our first vacation to Rome. Our choice for the hotel was based on location and others' reviews on this website.

When we arrived at reception, we were led to our stay which was located a bit down the block from reception. We ordered the two-room suite for 5 nights for 3 people. The suite is immaculate, with a jacuzzi and a full kitchen, although the stove does not work or is not meant to work, it's still nice to have a kitchen. The staff was warm and helpful.

Our only complaint is the troll-like old man who apparently is the owner's father and feels like the staff is not up to par on their duties, constantly ordering them around when they are busy with other duties and being rude and disrespectful in general. Perhaps that is old school Italian that I am not familiar with but why get pissy with guests who are spending quite a large sum of money staying at your hotel?

However.... On our fourth day's stay, I wanted an extra cappuccino for me and my mother. We had one each. The old man started counting in Italian and looking very angry. I do not speak Italian but took Latin in school. There were two other guests around who did speak Italian and he started mocking me and my family in Italian to them with me standing there! One of the guests said that only two was included with the meal. I then inquired, ok well i only had one. He then put his hand to his cheek and made a gesture to suggest that we were thick-skinned and mentioned two words that I did understand. Familiae and Cinese. Family and Chinese.. Perhaps I looked young (im a Wall St professional and could have recommended colleagues to stay there on trips) and did not speak the language so he thought it okay to call me and my family names. If he wanted me to pay for the extra cappuccino, he could have just explained and told me how much it cost... It was an unnecessarily degrading experience.

I still would recommend this hotel as the other staff was very accommodating, the rooms are of good value, and the location is prime... but I hope that the owner takes note that the hotel will lose lots of business because of the busy old man running around.

One thing I noticed that was quite funny was that some napkins had inconsistent folds on them, meaning somebody (probably the cheap old man), took the un-used (hopefully) off the table guests left and put them back in the napkin pile! I actually had no problem with this as times are tough and napkins are napkins, they wipe, folded or not.

• Stayed November 2010

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 20 September 2010

My main criteria for booking this hotel was the location (3 blocks from a subway station and a short 5-minute walk to the Vatican) as well as the rate compared to similar class hotels around Rome. I paid €95 per night for three nights early September 2010.

Hotel easy to find, swift check-in. The room was in a building about 100 yards from the reception in a nearby street. Although close to the Vatican, the immediate neighbourhood is really quiet. The room was a nice surprise, very clean, furnished in a 18th century style with elegant color schemes (dark blue rug, golden walls, brown furniture, old drawings, etc.).

The bathroom was a big letdown though. The shower was tiny, with an extra long curtain closing half of the opening and a sliding door closing the other half. Nothing in the shower to hold soap or shampoo... and you can't bend since it's tiny. I let you imagine how awkward it was!

Slight issues with the power plugs, very dingy and not all of them working.

Breakfast was included in the rate and was very nice. Lots of different, warm pastries.

Overall a great place to stay, I just hope they make an effort on the bathroom. I would definitely return there for my next trip to Rome.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 September 2010

We visted Les Chambres d'or Hotel in 2004 and 2006 with friends and we had such a fabulous time the hotel was so friendly.On both occasions we were greeted by Sam who sat us down and made us cappacino's before showing us to our rooms. We went home and reccomended the hotel to friends who also visted in 2007 and had a great time. My Husband and I decided to return this year for our honeymoon as we knew that we were guaranteed to be looked after and have decent accomadation, However we couldn't be more wrong we were hugely disappointed! We had emailed 3 months prior to our visit explaining we were returning for and 3rd visit and this time for our honeymoon could we have a nice room. Our room was very small compared to rooms we had stayed in before, the bathroom was damp, the shower was broken (when asked to be fixed it was gaffa taped) wallpaper and paint was peeling off the walls however it had air conditioning which was very much needed. We had breakfast in the Rendevous cafe, the staff pretty much ignored us and we felt were quite rude, when on previous visits we had been seated offered coffee and pastries instead now we were pointed in the direction of luke warm coffee in a maker and dried bits of bread and pastries. This was all such a disappointment, however the location was perfect for us to escape into the romance of Rome.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank acshunt

Travellers are raving about these Rome hotels

Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 August 2010

We had 2 rooms - a double & a quad. Chose this hotel as we only had one full day in Rome & it was a stone's throw from the Vatican - EXCELLENT location. We were in one block & my parents in another acrioss the street. Both rooms were very nicely furnished although they had a tiny shower. Breakfast was fine. This was a good choice but not the hotel for you if you like 5 star luxury & being waited on hand and foot !

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Dublin
Reviewed 27 July 2010

A driver from Les Chambres picked us up from Ciampino for €50 and brought us to the Hotel. For our family of 2 adults and 3 kids it was perfect in that it was clean and everything worked well. It is very well located in that it is a short stroll from the Vatican and there are great restaurants close by. If I were going to Rome with my wife I would opt for some more luxury but for 5 of us in one room, it was very good.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
Bratislava, Slovakia
Reviewed 27 July 2010

I stayed at this hotel for 1 night, while I was in Rome on city sightseeing.
The hotel is located just a few minutes walk from Vatican and about 10 minutes walk from Ottaviano Tube station. It had a characteristic of a small family hotel.
The reception and the restaurant were in the same room. The staff were very helpful and friendly. They spoke English very well.
The room itself was located in the building across the street. It was small but nicely decorated with old fashioned furniture. In the room was Tv, phone and fridge with minibar. The bathroom was small with shower.
The hotel had a wired internet connection.
The breakfast was in Swedish buffet style, with great choice of bread, croissants, cheese, jam, fresh fruit and terrific cappuccino.
I would definetely stay again

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with friends
Norwich
Reviewed 16 July 2010

We had originally booked to stay somewhere else, but, the day before we travelled, I had an email to say the air conditioning had broken and we had to stay someone else. I stressed to start with as we had trawled through 1000's of hotels to choose the hotel we were originally going to stay in. I have no idea what that hotel would have been like, but the Les Chambres d'Or was lovely. The reception staff were very helpful, the room was small but very nicely decorated and clean. The bathroom, again, was small, but had a lovely shower and plenty of hot water. The rooms are across the road from reception and the restaurant, but that isn't a problem. The breakfast was lovely. Pastries, meats, fruit and yoghurts. Coffee and tea, juice available too. The hotel is central and not far from the Vatican area. There was air conditioning. The windows are double glazed and there was sometimes some noise from the street clearner in the early hours, but I think you would hear that whatever hotel you were staying in. July is very hot and perhaps not the best time to visit, but if you are ok with air conditioning (which I am not!) then you would have a good night's sleep. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple