“Met all our expectations !”
Review of Hotel Raffaello

Hotel Raffaello
Ranked #83 of 1,269 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 31 March 2014

The hotel, the rooms, the staff and of course Rome was wonderful.
The hotel was centrally located which was a bonus
Yes the lift is small ! So what ! It just adds to the character of this hotel.
And yes you have to walk up half a dozen steps to your room ! Can't see that's a problem unless of course someone had a disability.
We stayed on the top floor which meant we had our own terrace so nice to sit out and have glass of wine before going out for the evening, the room was beautiful too. Well worth the extra cost even though I agree you don't go to rome to sit in your room.
Think the hotels best asset is its staff ! The excellent service they provide was effortless they simply could not do enough for you all delivered with a chat and a smile .
I would recommend this hotel to anyone wishing to visit Rome.
Best wishes to all the staff
Gill Clague (stayed 14 march for 4 nights)

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Elena G, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Hotel Raffaello, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2014

Dear Gill Clague,

May I start with a joke, and say we want to raise you a statue in the lobby?! You have just become our number one hero! :)

On a more serious note, we would like to send you our deepest thanks for such an enthusiastic and honest review.

Your appreciation and gratitude can only make us go forward with even more enthusiasm and positivity, in our attemp to always do our best for our guests' wellbeing...

We do hope with all our hearts that your return here will be as long and as soon as possible...
Warmest wihes,

Reviewed 31 March 2014

We stayed at this hotel for 5 nights and I have to say from the first step we took inside this hotel we were greeted by great and friendly staff until the day we left. I really recommend this hotel to everyone. The location is fantastic, walking distance from the metro station and the Colosseum. The concierge Elena spent so much time with us pointing out where to go for sight seeing and local restaurants and really made a difference in our experience of the city as she helped us plan our days and meals to the best!

The rooms were small but comfortable, but very clean and most importantly all bathroom were new.

Next we go back we will for sure go back to the same hotel.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Mahnaz123,

I didn't see this one coming! :)

I am glad you made it home safe and sound, and I hope the little one is ok, too...

It was a pleasure for all of us having you here, and we can only say it feels good knowing we were able to help making your staying here as serene as it was... :)

Looking forward to your new visit, as soon as possible, this time in three... :)

Reviewed 26 March 2014

Stayed for three nights. Had an amazing time. Hotel was beautiful , room gorgeous however not an exciting view but this did not bother us. Pillow menu was big hit !!
Nothing was too much trouble for the staff on the reception and they gave excellent tips of where to go , where to eat and where the best value options were. we wanted to be near the older part of Rome and we were about 10 minutes walk from the Colosseum.
Breakfast was amazing with a large choice each day. Hot , cold , pastries , cereal and even cake! Endless tea / coffee or hot chocolate too.
Would look to stay here again if I return to Rome.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Elena G, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Hotel Raffaello, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2014

Dear pamelave,

Thank you for having shared us and your opinion about us with the other Tripadvisor users. We would like to remind them they have a special discount. :)

As about us, ...thank you , as well, ...for having chosen us, and for having enjoyed us, and our services, as much.
We do try to do our best in order to satisfy our guests' needs and requests, whenever that is possible, and we can only be happy and grateful when this is noticed and appreciated. :)

Waiting for you to come back,
We wish you a warm summer, and a serene return back home! :)

Reviewed 26 March 2014

We stayed at Hotel Raffaello for 2 nights in March. After having stayed in variaous hotels in Rome over the last few years, I must say that the Hotel Raffello was by far the best choice that I have made.When we arrived we were greeted professionally and courteously at reception (did'nt get the guys name but he had a dark beard). We were slightly earlier than the check in time and as our room was not ready as yet, he gave us an upgrade free of charge rather than wait until room became available!. The room itself was large and spacious and was also tastefully decorated. The bathroom was above average size for Italian hotels. The pillow menu in the room was a welcome bonus as I tend to find most hotel pillows to be on the harder side. On Trip Advisor I often see complaints about breakfast in Italian hotels. After having stayed in many hotels all over Italy, I have to say that the breakfast in the Raffaello was excellent, Fresh toast was offered (along with coffee etc) upon arrival in the breakfast area which I have never been offered before! There was also a great selection of the "normal" breakfast items to choose from, with scrambled eggs being an added bonus! The location cannot be faulted as it is the vicinity of 3 nearby Metro stations (I found "Cavour" to be extremely hand for this hotel as the short walk from here led me past a couple of great restaurants). On checking out ,there was no fuss and receptionist (the same guy who checked us in) called a taxi for us and had a nice chat with us whilst we were waiting. I told him that we were heading to Florence next, and he was able to give me an excellent restaurant recomendation when I was visiting the city! I travel to Italy every year and will be making my booking for next year in the Hotel Raffaello.

Dear alanwilson2014,

Wow! What is there to be said after such an enthusiastic and detailed review, other than thank you very much for your wonderful words????!
Opinions like yours make us want to go on the same path we have chosen: TO CARE about our guests' wellbeing, and always do our best in order to satisfy their needs...

Indeed, whenever possible, we do try to give our guests the rooms before the check-in time, and we even added a new service, the Standby Upgrades, to support that.

Pillow Menu was an idea that came to us after seeing everything is relative: some like to sleep on hard pillows, some enjoy a soft one, therefore...we wanted to make everyone happy... :)

But enough about our extra and special services, or we'll spoil next guests' surprises! :)

We are enthusiastically looking for your return. :)
Until then,
Best wishes,

Reviewed 24 March 2014

There are many things to praise about this hotel, starting with the service. We greatly appreciated that Elena spent so much time with us upon arrival, helping to plan our stay. We enjoyed the restaurants that she recommended, and some of her travel tips turned out to be real time savers. Francesco assisted with some computer needs. The staff even booked us tickets at the Borghese Gallery on short notice.

The room was clean and comfortable, compact but not cramped. The shower stall was extremely narrow. We had an exterior room with a large window. It was nice to have the fresh air, and street noise wasn't bad at all.

The breakfast buffet was quite good with a nice variety of food and beverages. We also liked the small lounge area below where one could fix a coffee or tea during the day.

Although the immediate neighborhood is not attractive, the hotel is conveniently located near to the train station and is within walking distance of several sights. There are several restaurants in the vicinity, and we also enjoyed the outdoor bar around the corner on Via Agostina Depretis.

You can find a less expensive room in Rome, but not with the same level of comfort and service.

Room Tip: Very large guests should inquire about a room with a tub rather than a shower.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Elena G, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Hotel Raffaello, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2014

Dear kjlanc,

Thank you for having shared us with the other Tripadvisor users, whom we would like to remind they have a special discount. :)

It was a pleasure for me, as it was for Francesco, and for all my other colleagues, to be able to give a hand with all the matters you had. After all, ...we are here for you, our guests, and your wellbeing is what we mostly care for, and we try to always do our best in order to satisfy our guests' needs, there where we can do something about it. :)

Hoping you will give us the chance to greet you and spoil you a little bit again soon, we wish you a wonderful return home! :)

Best wishes,

Reviewed 23 March 2014

I've just spent 3 nights in Raffaello Hotel. It is located in an 'edgy' part of town called Monti, very handy if you are arriving at Termini station. The Coliseum is less than a 10 minute walk away, and the Centro Historico a 20 minute walk.

The neighbourhood where this hotel is called Monti and is up and coming. It is a very interesting mixture of trendy boutiques, traditional Italian restaurants, cool bars, studios, and places selling vintage clothes. The same 'coolness', on the other hand, cannot be applied to the hotel. The hotel is almost spotless in every way, but quite dated looking; think swirling bedspreads and headboards. The bathroom was massive, but the shower cubicle (plastic) was minuscule.

The service at this hotel is very impressive. But as another reviewer has said the lifts land on half floors and are miniature. The breakfasts are OK, but my top tip for Italy is skip the breakfast because you need to save room for pasta.

On another note, book as many things as you can online before you arrive. The queues for the Vatican Museums, the Roman Forum and the Coliseum can be formidable. Its a great city. Good luck!

1  Thank davidtinney

Dear davidtinn,

Thank you for having reminded Monti is one of the most particular areas in Rome (the most ancient district, actually more than 2000 years old, the only one to still keep its original structure, through all these years...)

We are sorry to read such harsh words about the hotel, instead. Raffaello is a building dating 1882, and we have kept its romantic style on purpose, for the sake of who appreciates this kind os small boutiquish 3 stars hotels, and in concordance to the whole Monti area.

This style might not be so "cool", as you say, for everyone (it was Romans who used to say "de gustibus non disputandum" - one doesn't argue one's taste), but we are honest and transparent, and the photos of our site offer exactly the picture of what kind of hotel we are.

Wishing you a serene return home, we send you our best regards.

Reviewed 21 March 2014

We spent 3 days in Rome then went to Sorrento for 2 days and then back to Rome, just needed a hotel for the night to go to airport next morning early. Hotel Raffaello was okay for what we needed although overpriced..

The Pros: Hotel was clean in lobby area, woman who greeted us at 9PM literally ran to the door to open it for my wife, my son and I so we could bring our luggage in...she could not have been more welcoming or helpful from converter to helping with getting us set up for next day to airport. Room itself was clean, large enough for us to stay with three people...we left too early for us to have sit down breakfast but the same woman arranged "to go" breakfast bags for us which were great.

The Cons for the hotel...the area is not that great, the picture of the hotel front is deceiving, we walked out of the hotel to the left or the right very dark, graffiti on store gates, smell of urine in the streets. It is a busy street, we were on a higher floor and could hear the traffic pretty easily The elevator for the hotel is exceedingly almost clown car comically small, it could not fit all of us and our luggage and it only stops on 1/2 floors so you have to walk up or down a set of stairs to get to whole number floor which is a pain with luggage...Finally the morning service for us was painful and while I usually don't let one interaction influence me that much on review the desk clerk in the morning who looked like Peter Sellers clearly was bothered by the fact that he had to do anything at 6AM. I asked for a taxi as I was taking three trips up the elevator to bring down luggage and he refused to order until forced to...also no help with the luggage or the door, just overall argumentative and unhelpful.

For the price I don't think I would stay here again and probably would not recommend it...it is a borderline hotel in a not great location. I would have rated Poor but I was expecting average and was only slightly disappointed...in addition the woman from the night we arrived was so very helpful.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank RUGRAD90

Dear Rugrad90,

Our guests' feedback is very precious to us, as it has always given us insights on how we could improve ourselves and our services, and hints on what we were already doing good or even great.

Raffaello is a three star hotel, situated in the Monti district, the oldest one in Rome (more than 2000 years old) . Had you stayed more than one only night, and had you seen it during the day, I am pretty sure you would have had a totally different opinion about Via Urbana, and about the whole area, generally...
We understood your expectations were different, and we are sorry to hear that you were dissapointed. We are a cozy, small romantic style hotel, that tries to be more of a kind of home for its guests, and as you could read in most of the previous reviews, we do all our best in order to help them, just like Francesca did at your arrival.. :)
As for your check-out, I would like to remind you that there was another check-out at the moment of your leaving, and that was the reason my colleague couldn't help you with the luggage, or the door.
Also, maybe you didn't realize we have an online taxi service, therefore we don't phone for taxi, but we call via internet, which was exactly what my colleague did when you asked him to, only he was waiting for you to pay and do the check-out.
In the end, we are deeply sorry such a missunderstood has ruined your last and only night at Raffaello, and we are more than sure you would havve had a totally different opinion if you had stayed here longer, and that is exactly the reason we hope you will be curious and kind enough to come back for a longer staying, and see for yourself how we really are, and not filtered through the stress of a late arrival after a long travel and a long holiday, and the stress of an early check-out, and a very long journey to begin back home.
Warmest wishes,