“Excellent hotel at a very reasonable price”
Review of Hotel Raffaello

Hotel Raffaello
Ranked #84 of 1,271 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 6 August 2010

We spent 3 nights at this hotel in June 2010, (and my family one extra night - see below) and it was wonderful! The location is perfect with 3 metro stops (Repubblica, Cavour and Termini) within 10 minutes walking distance. In fact, we walked the 10 minutes from Termini when we arrived by train from Civitavecchia after our cruise - the taxi quoted us EUR 25 and said that we would need 2 taxis as we were 4 people with luggage! Definitely not worth EUR 50. Many of the tourist sites are within walking distance too, but our metro tourist travel pass was also put to good use. There are many restaurants nearby (some were recommended by the hotel) and we enjoyed some really nice dinners there.

We had 2 adjoining rooms, 502 and 506, and both opened up onto lovely patios where we enjoyed a sunset pizza dinner on 21 June - summer solstice! The one room (506) was very large and had a shower over the bathtub, and the other room (502) was smaller with one of the smaller showers in the bathroom - perfect for our teenage daughters.

The breakfasts were very enjoyable, with both hot and cold foods available. The only small gripe was that they sometimes ran out of the fresh fruit initially on offer, but the friendly waitresses immediately offered an alternative fresh fruit from the kitchen.

My husband and daughters had to return to Raffaello a few hours after we had checked out as I fell and fractured my knee whilst climbing some broken stairs in Ostiense Station on our way to the airport and Mykonos. They very kindly offered them a room for the night and advised them where they could stay in the suburban neighbourhood close to the hospital (CTO) I had been taken to by ambulance. Just a few words of advice - if you have been hospitalised in Rome and it is at all possible, try and return home as soon as you are able to. We thought that some of our South African hospitals were not that great, but our private hospitals are far superior to the Rome one I had to spend 6 days in. After repeated postponing of the surgery to repair my exposed multiple fractured kneecap we decided that I would return to RSA for the operation. The surgeon here said that the operation had been an emergency and that it should have been done in the first six hours after the accident. By the time I got home and into surgery, it was 9 days afterwards! Needless to say we did not end up going to Mykonos as planned, and I am still in a knee brace and on crutches! The doctor says it could take up to a year for my knee to heal.

If we ever return to Rome one day (and we hope to do so once my healing is complete) I would definitely choose to stay in Hotel Raffaello, and I have already recommended it to friends.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family

Reviewed 6 August 2010

Stayed here in the family room (which was actually two communicating rooms) with two teenagers. Hotel was brilliant, clean, staff helpful and efficient. Breakfast was superb, breads, meats, cereals, fruits, toast, juices, eggs - a great choice and good quality. Waiting staff friendly and efficient.

The hotel kindly kept our luggage for us after we checked out, allowing us a full extra day sightseeing before catching our transport to the airport. They even offered us toilet facilities when we picked the bags up along with a welcome cup of tea or coffee.

Hotel was excellent value 3 star hotel, location was good for trains and sight seeing.

Only recommendation (rather than a criticism) would be for them to improve the lighting level in the bedrooms.

Based on our experience would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 August 2010

I took my mother to Rome for a weekend during her visit to Europe and chose this hotel for the location. While the location is convenient (Termini is 10 mins walk and Colosseum is approx 15 mins walk), the hotel is very average. The rooms are clean but very basic, with slightly older bathroom facilities (ours had a leaking shower head which sprayed everywhere). Breakfast is on the 'simple' side compared to other hotels I've stayed in in Rome for similar price. The front desk staff were not the most friendly or helpful. One man was particularly unpleasant (he was on the day shift during our stay). He did not like us speaking English to him and became very annoyed at us when he didn't understand our questions.
Overall, I did not find my stay very enjoyable or special and would not recommend this hotel to family or friends.

• Stayed: July 2010
Reviewed 31 July 2010

Make sure that the name matches the hotel you think you're researching. Trip Advisor does have it listed as Raffaello Hotel, but the name is Hotel Raffaello! There is also a Raphael Hotel, so be very careful. This did confuse me, and Massimo, one of staff at the hotel pointed it out to me in an e-mail before my arrival. He wanted to make sure that I had truly planned on staying at this hotel. I actually had thought differently, but it turned out to be a wonderful mistake on my part.
Service from Salvatore, Edoardo, and Massimo and the lady whose name I forget (scusi!) was very professional and helpful. They helped with locating and reserving a space at restaurants and museums, buying a bottle of prosecco, providing ice, glasses and bucket for the prosecco, as well as locating a gym for my husband. They also helped arrange for us to be picked up at the airport by a very professional taxi service (48 Euros...worth the ease for us).
Breakfast was included in the rate and we were very pleased with the breads, pastries, boiled and scrambled eggs, cheese and fruit provided each morning.
The hotel was close (10-15 minutes) to the Forum and Colosseum and maybe 20-25 minutes walk to the other major points of interest in Rome.
It was very clean, quiet and the space was perfect for the two of us. I loved the bathroom with the multi-jet shower, but I think that it might be difficult for a non-petite or slender person to fit well in the shower space. It was difficult for my husband 6'2" to bend over to wash his lower legs.
We arranged the reservations through booking.com and received an average rate of 205 Euros a night. It differed on different days of the week.
I would definitely return to this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank toomuchsnowhere
Reviewed 31 July 2010

Raffaello is just marvellous. Clean rooms, véry friendly and helpful (English-speaking!) staff, great location (15min walking distance from Termini station, 5min to metro's, 100m from local - cheap - grocery, very quiet neighbourhood) and above all - for Italian standards - incredible breakfast with fruits, cornflakes, all sorts of bread and toast, cheese, ham, jam, eggs, etc. Plus, the hotel rates are not that high, so this is probably the best value for your money you can get. Can't say enough good things about this place. Thank you, Raffaello, for a wonderful stay!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank cherman007
Reviewed 28 July 2010

I found this hotel on tripadvisor and everything everyone said about it was true. The hotel is beautiful, the rooms were surprisingly spacious, everything was very clean and the breakfast was excellent. There are plenty of shops and places to eat within walking distance and the location was central enough to get around quickly to the tourist sites via bus or cab.

I highly recommend this hotel and will definitely stay there again!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 July 2010

My wife and I booked into the Raffaello based on Tripadvisor reviews. We flew from London (important later). Because it was for our 10th anniversary I had emailed ahead asking if they could have some Prosecco in the room for when we arrived - it was brought up shortly after we checked in and was FOC - so a good start. Over the next couple of days we did the usual Rome sites whilst keeping an eye on the news because of the impending volcanic ash travel chaos. On the Thursday, our Friday return flight was bumped to Monday, and then on the Saturday it was bumped to the following Saturday, i.e. 8 days after our original departure.

The hotel staff and management were very sympathetic to our situation and although we eventually managed to get home by rail (only 6 days late!) for the extra nights that we stayed at the Raffaello we were given a very reasonable nightly rate.

As for the hotel itself, we liked where it was situated; we walked most places because in general that seemed quicker than cabs anyway. A 10 minute walk down Via Cavour and you were at the Forum and, Vatican excepted, most other sights were only another 10-15 minutes walk anyway. Although this worked for us, it might not for all. There are a fair number of pretty reasonable restaurants and bars nearby

The showers (we were in three rooms during our extended stay) as has been mentioned elsewhere are all quite small but did the job - even if we couldn't get any of the 'space age' nozzles etc. to work - they seemed to have been disconnected. Our bedrooms and bathrooms were all cleaned every day and the toiletries replenished. We were never disturbed by any traffic or bin lorries at any time and we had rooms on both external sides of the hotel. The breakfasts did start to get a bit 'samey' after a while; but the items were fresh as was the coffee. All of the staff in the hotel, bar none, were exceptionally friendly towards us from the very start, and if I'm honest got more so during our plight.

This is a very nice little hotel, in a nice area and it is staffed by very nice people. We would highly recommend it.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple