“Good hotel, great location and outstanding staff” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Fortyseven Hotel Rome

Fortyseven Hotel Rome
Ranked #76 of 1,292 Hotels in Rome
Miami Beach, Florida
“Good hotel, great location and outstanding staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2013

First visit to Rome and we decided to stay in this hotel based on it's reviews on Trip Advisor. I must say that this was the best decision we made. Out of my 12 days in Italy, I stayed in this hotel the first 4 nights and the last 2 nights of my trip. Two seperate reservations. The hotel is very clean, comfortable and our room had a very nice view.

But, most important was the staff. All were extremely friendly, professional, warm, and very helpfull. In particular, Marcos, Claudia, Stephanie, Rocky, Jacobo (restaurant) among others all made my stay an incredible experience and made me feel right at home.

Assides from Rome being beautiful, I will always remember my positive experience in this hotel and will certainly stay there again.

M Acosta

Room Tip: My room was 509, had a balcony, was a good size hotel room and a nice view.
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
danypre, Manager at Fortyseven Hotel Rome, responded to this review, 5 April 2013
Dear Guest,
It was nice that you had the opportunity to confirm the consistent quality of Fortyseven with two seperate reservations on the same vacation.
The feeling of ‘home away from home’ is pretty nice especially when you are abroad. Thank you for your lovely words.
Personal Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (263)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2013

I picked this hotel based on TripAdvisor Reviews and I agree with all the 4-star reviews. I was a first time visitor to Rome and have no complaints. I enjoyed my stay. But like many said, hotel reviews are subjective so let me try to break this down for future visitors:

Why you should not pick this hotel:
- if you are looking for an "authentic old-school" Roman/European hotel experience with a tiny room in a charming, ancient 4-5 story building (maybe family run) lodged between apt buildings in a residential neighborhood, no english spoken among the staff, and no frills service, or if you want heavy, ornate decorations and rustic or period furnishings and paintings adoring the surroundings, then this isn't for you.

Reasons why you may want to pick this hotel:
You are looking for comfortable, modern, contemporary digs in an ancient city.

LOCATION:
Before considering this hotel I've looked at the St. Regis and several others. After having walked past all those other hotels during my weeklong stay, I must say I found the 47 to be very well situated - close enough to sightseeing spots but far enough away from the tour buses and crowds. Except for two cab rides to make it to time-sensitive appointments, I was able to walk everywhere from the hotel: Vatican, Barberini and Repubblica, Testaccio, San Giovanni Lateran, Santa Maria di Popolo. Great food only minutes away: cross the bridge to Trastevere where great, inexpensive food is everywhere, or 6 mins walk away is the jewish ghetto where one must try the artichoke and baccala.
Other locations near by:
- The Forum + Palantine Hill (12 mins walking)
- Circo Maximus (7mins walking)
- Colosseum (15mins walking)
- Piazza Venezia (15mins walking)
- Pantheon (20mins walking)
- Cestius Pyramid - next to cemetery where Keats is buried (35mins walking).
- The Tiber River is a 60s walk from the front of the hotel! You can always find the hotel if you can find the river! The Ponte Fabrico (the oldest bridge in Rome) is a 5 min walk along the river.
- Fumicino Airport: 30-35 mins ride
By cab: it is 10Euros to get to the Vatican in light traffic and 11Euros to get to the Borghese Gallery.
Public Transport: On the street to the right of the hotel, there are about 6 bus stops so you can hop on a bus to anywhere. The 2 closest metro stations are about a 10-15 min walk away: Circo Maximus (10mins) and Colosseum (15mins).

SERVICE:
The moment we arrived, the hotel employees greeted us, took our bags, sat us down, made us comfortable and checked us in. (They will request your passport so they can make a copy -- it's standard procedure.) I received a map with nearby sights circled and an explanation of where everything is. If you need a cab, the front desk can call for you and it takes 2 mins for the cab to arrive. The staff will greet you in the morning, evening, and I found them to be friendly and polite and helpful. They speak perfect english. It seems like they come in to make your room twice because sometimes in the evening, I come back and find the room fixed up again and chocolates on the nightstand and such but overall, the room is kept clean and well stocked and I never had to ask for supplies.

BATHROOM:
You get robes, slippers, shampoo (no conditioner), liquid soap (I personally prefer a bar of soap), body lotion, body wash and huge, soft towels! I've been to hotels where I get tiny, scratchy towels so I really like having plush, absorbent towels. Glass cups are provided and there is a hair dryer and a trash can. The shower is nice, with a rain-style shower head and fine water pressure.

ROOM:
The room temperature is automatically set to 23C but you can adjust it as needed. It's spacious in that you do not feel cramped and there is ample space to move around in the room. You have a TV and a TVGuide card that tells you what all the channels are. There's CNN and other English news channels. There's a full length mirror but there isn't an alarm clock (no problem - that's what smart phones are for.) WIFI is available in the room and on the hotel grounds. (Negative: Sometimes it takes a while to get connected to it and the connection drops occasionally.) But once you have WIFI, it's a good speed as I was able to send emails w/ a lot of photo attachments with no lag. There's a closet with 8 hangers and a small 3-drawer "dresser" and a safe. The room faced the street and you can hear all the buses and vespas and such but if you close the wooden shutter, the window and the 2 drapes they provide for you, it really muffles everything. I had no problems falling asleep. The windows can be opened so if you want, you can also stick your head out and yell "Buongiorno!" to passers-by. Like many said, it is minimally decorated which to me was a plus. I like the wood floors, the clean lines and simple design. (Though they could probably add a larger dresser so one doesn't have to partially live out of the suitcase the entire time.) If you ask the front desk, you can get adapters and there is one free outlet right in the TV-desk hutch. They could probably add a power strip or something for folks needing more outlets. There's a fridge with drinks that you have to pay for when you check out. (I would prefer if they provided a bottle of free water in the room each day as one can get thirsty from all the walking and water bottles at cafes cost 1.5-3 euros!)

HOTEL GROUNDS and BREAKFAST:
There's a courtyard where you can relax or eat your breakfast. There is breakfast every morning from 7a to 10a and it is a fine breakfast with croissants and breads, sausage, eggs, bacon, cheeses, mozzarella and tomatoes, salami, yogurts, fruit juices, water, coffee and teas and fruits. It sure beats trying to find a place to eat every morning! Besides, the Roman version of breakfast is taking a shot of expresso and eating a cornetto (and this hearty morning feast trumps that!) There's a rooftop restaurants which we did not eat at but offers good views of the river and nearby sights. The elevator is modern but like most European elevators, it is small. Fits about 3-4 people. The front doors lock after midnight but you can press a bell and someone will let you in. There is a lounge with newspapers and books for reading.

ATHLETES:
I'm not sure if there is a gym in the hotel but given the nice weather, this hotel has three great outdoor workout locations nearby. For sprinting or distance training or trail running, get yourself over to the Circo Maximus where I saw runners training and dog walkers running with their dogs. For your stairs work out, walk over to the Santa Maria d'Aracoeli and start running up and down those 124 marble steps! Don't forget to take in the view! And if you are one of those who like running or biking along rivers (who doesn't!), get thee to the Tiber - a 3 miler in either direction should bring you to all kinds of different nabes.

OTHER TIPS:
- Try not to eat at any of the cafes near Teatro di Marcello or Piazza Venezia - they are tourist traps and charge exorbitantly. Go over to the jewish ghetto or trastevere instead.
- Go to the local supermarket (Despar) at Teatro Argentina (10-mins walk from hotel). The cost is about .35cents for small bottles and .70cents for liter bottles. You can also get some delicious cookies (1-2euros a bag) in the supermarket for a fraction of what you would pay in a cafe.
- You can get stamps (francobolli) at the post office on via arenula (7min walk from hotel) but you can get a better experience at the Vatican. There, you can buy your postcards and stamps and mail it all in one place! I believe you can do the same at Tabacchi stands too. That said, it was fun trying to get the postal clerk to understand me as he spoke not a word of english but my postcards did arrive!

8 Thank Katmik T
danypre, Manager at Fortyseven Hotel Rome, responded to this review, 2 April 2013
Dear Guest,
I am lost for words. What a lengthy review! I can only add that yes, we do have a complete gym a very large steam bath and can even supply our Guests with Jogging and Walking Tours that have been designed and tested by yours truly!
Daugaard, Denmark
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2013

This is a lovely hotel, just located near the jewish quarter and a short stroll to the city center and the ancient sites. We enjoyed the very short distance to the restaurants in Trastevere, although the hotel itself offers an excellent restaurant with a nice view from the rooftop restaurant. Room is great and staff is helpful. Breakfast was of lesser quality and range of choice than expected. It's located near a bigger road, but the traffic isn't disturbing your night sleep, if you get a room facing the yard.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing away from the street.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Being called a lovely hotel is quite a compliment with all that competition out there!
Thank you and hope to see you soon.
St Albans, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2013

The location of the property was excellent, with easy access to metro bus, local attractions and good restaurants. It's not in the middle of all the tourist spots (located to the north). So it's less crowded (and much quieter) around the hotel.

Rating hotels is always subjective. Of course it depends on personal previous experience and expectations. I read excellent reviews on this hotel and by and large they were accurate. However gushing reviews are not very helpful I find so I will be very subjective. This hotel is extremely well placed for visiting most of the Ancient Rome sites. A lovely location and eating just across the bridge to the Trastevere area in any of the many pizzerias and restaurants was very good quality and good value. The hotel resturant however, was not brilliant. On our first night (of 4) we ate in the rooftop restaurant at the 47. After being told off by a waiter for sitting down without asking him ! (The place was empty and we wanted a cocktail before dinner! He said 'I dont know what they do in the states but here we ask before we sit !!! and we are from the UK to boot !!!) we had an adequate meal. My main course was actually not at all nice and overall I would say too expensive for the quality so we did not eat there again. Staff were generally polite but not overly so. Our room was minimalist in decor and large enough (310) I would recommend this room or one of the two suites depending on budget. The included breakfast was nice enough. Just beside the hotel at the entrance to the circus maximum you can board one of the open top buses, around 20-24 euros for a 24 hour pass. This is a great way to orientate and decide where yo are going first. Must do's are the colluseum and of course the Vatican and Trevi fountain. The colluseum is a 10 minute stroll from the hotel and I would recommend ignoring the many tour guides offering a line jump as we found a short queue at the ticket office and hired audio guide machines for 5euros each

All-in-all we enjoyed our four days. While I would not rate this property any higher than 4 stars, but I would recommend putting it in the mix of possibilities and would be happy to stay there again.

Room Tip: We stayed in a corner room 310. It was spacious and had a nice double aspect view to the street outs...
Dear Guest,
As you put so well, “Rating hotels is always subjective.” We appreciate your review and all the pertinent information in it.
Our Circus Restaurant is divided up into two areas-a bar area and the restaurant. The separation of the two areas is marked by the tables being set for both lunch and dinner. This has been done not only to assist our Restaurant Staff, as often tables have been previously assigned, but also to guarantee our diners tables that host special views of several ancient monuments of Rome. It is part of the Italian culture to be seated at a table not only for practicality but also to accompany the Guest as a polite gesture.
We look forward to having you with us once again in the near future.
Tel Aviv, Israel
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2013

In a nutshell - Friendly staff, Less then expected accommodations (per price), Dull breakfast, Great view - little value (winter) rooftop bar/restaurant.

This four star hotel located between the Colosseum and Piazza Venezia consider's itself a boutique hotel as it is clearly stated on the hotel's web page.

Be aware that It is difficult to reach the hotel with a car without breaking local traffic law.

We had a problem with the air condition - it was cooling instead of warming (the hotel installed the same system I have at home) We had two service visits and a couple of conversation with the staff. The problem was not solved until we moved to another room.
We ordered a king size bed and even received e-mail confirmation. The room we recieved had twin bed. When I asked for what was promised the staff informed me that king sized bed are available only on executive rooms. We received one the next day which was nice but I should have been informed when ordering.

Our executive room was nice but the shower had very poor flow. This was not corrected during our stay despite several requests.

Breakfast is not repetitive and of little variation. The only variation is the type of coffe one can order.

The roof top bar has excellent view, however it is not winter ready (the windows are made of plastic sheets) it is practically useless.

TV channels are is almost exclusively in Italian (even after changing the system's language to English) Why should a tourist want that ?

For the price of Boutique hotel I expect Boutique standards. This hotel should upgrade its act and stand up to what it advertises.

Room Tip: Executive rooms have a porch. Check water flow in the shower. Some rooms have Nesspreso machines.
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
danypre, Manager at Fortyseven Hotel Rome, responded to this review, 27 March 2013
Dear Guest,

I would like to comment on a few of your criticisms in your review.
Firstly, Hotel Fortyseven not only considers itself a Boutique Hotel, but by every right is one. All hotels in this category are yearly revaluated and Fortyseven is proud to say that it has never been turned down.
Secondly, Hotel Fortyseven has the fortune to NOT be located in a ‘blocked’ traffic area and can be reached with ease. In fact, many of our employees drive right up to the hotel entrance---including myself.
Thirdly, the temperature ‘problem’ was dealt with as you were invited to change your room. I must remind you that the temperature in your room was 24 degrees.
Fourthly, your booking was for a classic room with a king bed. Upon arrival, you were given an upgraded room with a king bed. The king bed was made of two twin beds, creating a width of 186 cm. Upon your disapproval, you were changed to a classic room consisting a king bed of 169 cm. width. There are several types of ‘king beds’ and all Hotel Fortyseven’s fall into that definition.
Fifthly, we are regularly complimented for our showers but I will definitely look into the water flow in your bathroom.
Sixthly, several of our pastry items are baked daily and our Roman sausages are truly special. We also host a Gourmet Menu consisting of personalized omelettes, salmon and wild berries.
Seventhly, thank you for pointing out our unique Rooftop Circus Restaurant with its magnificent views! Our heating system is so fast that it allows the venue to work all year round. In the spring and summer, the entire space is opened up and the soft breeze makes it a truly special place.
Eighthly, we host a total of 200 television channels. Twenty of those are in English where one can also enjoy films.
Lastly, the Hotel Fortyseven ‘friendly’ Staff always appreciate any type of comment made on Trip Advisor. Thank you for giving Fortyseven the opportunity to comment on your review.
Ann Arbor, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2013

Stayed here for a week (3/1-3/7) and throughly enjoyed our stay. The room was very clean and modern. The desk staff was very helpful with directions, dinner recommendations and reservations,etc - particularly Stefania and the young woman who checked us in (sorry I forgot her name). We were able to check-in our rooms early, which was great as we had a rough overnight flight. We did have to sacrifice a view room, but it worked out well as our room was very quiet and quite large. (Would recommend signing up for I-Prefer, as we also had a nice bottle of wine sent to our room as a welcome gift.) The location was very good - not in the most touristy, populated area (which we found a plus) but the Forum and history are all around. Walking distance to almost everywhere, and very near the Trastavere and Ghetto for good restaurants. Only (minor) flaw is there was no alarm clock in room, but wake up calls were no problem.

The breakfast was nice and had a decent variety of options - cappucino was excellent. Had dinner at the rooftop restaurant our first night - very good service and food, nice view, and best dessert I had in Rome (hazelnut souffle). Also had a nice lunch in the hotel our last full day between sightseeing.

Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thanks for pointing out early check in. We realize how important this is and try our best to make it happen when we can.
We have changed our Great Dessert Menu to best follow the seasons and host our favorites as well as ‘Papaya tempura sushi with green tea cream and candied ginger’. Can you beat that?!
Looking forward to having with you us again.

Rhyl, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2013

We stayed at this wonderful hotel from 14th to 17th March, which was a busy period with the new pope being elected, international rugby and the rome marathon.

The hotel is easy to get to from the airport (fiumicino), if you take the Leonardo express (€14 euros each) to rome termini where you can either get a taxi, bus or the metro. We decided on the metro which was a few €s to go two stops to the colosseum, where we got the taxi for the remainder of the journey, which was only five or so minutes.

On our arrival we were greeted by a member of staff who quickly checked us in despite arriving before the 2pm check in time. We were promptly directed to our room which was situated on the first floor at the front of the building.

Our room was of a decent size, with what seemed to be king size bed, as it was larger than our double at home. The room was clean, tidy and modern and we couldn't have wished for anything more. We found the bed to be comfy and the shower to be amazing. Due to being at the front of the building we could slightly hear road noise however this didn't bother us, and we didn't loose any sleep over it.

Staff were great, spoke good English and assisted us with any queries that we had, and recommended numerous restaurants for us to try local foods, and even made reservations for us.

Prior to our arrival, the hotel was informed that it would be one of our birthdays, for this they left a delicious birthday cake, along with cutlery etc in the room, which was a nice touch.

We didn't try the food within the top floor restaurant, however we did visit during the evening to watch the world go by below, whilst enjoying a bottle or two of wine. We found the wine to be good, and the staff very knowledgeable and good with making recommendations. We were surprised to find nibbles to be served with our wine.

The breakfast each morning, was of a buffet style, with something there for even the most fussiest of eaters. The breakfast was filling and tasty.

On our final day we were surprised to wake up to find the rome marathon running past our window, which provided us with a grand stand view, as the thousands passed by below. We had been warned the night before by staff in regards to this event.

During our visit to Rome we managed to visit the majority of the major attraction sites and seemed to walk the whole of the city centre with no need to take a taxi, much to my girlfriends displeasure. Remember to take comfy shoes as you will be doing lots of walking and possibly climbing lots of steps depending on where you go and if you visit St. Peter's bascillia and climb to the top.

In all we had a fantastic stay, and have left with fond memories, which will stay with us forever (on account of getting engaged whilst there).

Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
danypre, Manager at Fortyseven Hotel Rome, responded to this review, 25 March 2013
Dear Guest,
Thanks for the informative review!
Our Birthday Cake is prepared by our Pastry Chef, Cristiano Casella and is Fortyseven’s way of making our Guests feel special.
Looking forward to seeing you again!