Fortyseven Hotel Rome
  • Fitness centre
HT6 Hotel(Rome)
Kame Hall(Rome)
1,944 results
All reviewsrooftop restaurantcircus maximusmouth of truthjewish ghettotiber riverancient ruinswithin walking distancesteam roomtrastevere areadeluxe roomboutique hotelpalatine hillbusy roadour honeymoonwalked everywherefifth floormajor sites
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We stayed in 2 adjacent rooms on the 3rd floor for 4 nights with our 2 young teens. This was the best family set up we had for our vacation in several towns in Italy because the bathrooms were larger and modern and it was very quiet at night (we were not near elevators).

We loved the old exterior coupled with a modern interior. The location for us was perfect since we prefer to walk when we can, rather than take cabs or public transport. The Forum and Colosseum of Ancient Rome is a short walk away, as well as the Trastevere area, where you can find good restaurants and the old Jewish district, where there are also very good restaurants.

Breakfast was very good and a bonus was eating it outside in the beautiful courtyard. I thought that this hotel had superior coffee compared to other hotels we tried. Overall, we had a delightful stay here.

1  Thank hollandays
danypre, Director of Sales at Fortyseven Hotel Rome, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

Dear guest,

On behalf of all staff, and management, I thank you for taking the time to share your experience here with us at the Fortyseven Hotel with Tripadvisor readers! We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay, the location and the style of the hotel and I must say that totally agree with your “superior coffee” comment! I always tell my colleagues at the bar that their cappuccino is number one in Rome! :-)
We truly hope to welcome you soon again!
Warm regards from Rome!

Reviewed 17 July 2014

We stayed in July for 5 nights with our two teenage children. This was the best hotel we stayed at while in Italy. We had arranged through the conceige ahead of time to be picked up at the train station and taken to the hotel- for 50 euros it was well worth the money! He was waiting at the end of the platform with our name on a sign- we had emailed our train information to the hotel a week prior. We had interconnecting rooms and upgraded to the Superior rooms. We were on the second floor. Our rooms were very comfortable- very roomy- nicely furnished and extremely clean. Loved the large shower with a glass door that shut (we stayed in several cities in Italy and some showers didn't even have shower curtains) and the bathroom was nicely sized. They even had an American plug in on the hairdryer to charge a cell phone. We had booked all our tours in advance so did not use the conceirge service for tours. They did recommend an area across the river to eat and for shopping which was wonderful and they were always helpful in getting cabs. It was a short walk just across the bridge and you were in a nice neighborhood of small restaurants and street vendors. The first night we didn't pay attention when we checked in for the instructions on how to put the window shades down and left them up- bad idea- it was VERY noisy and bright in the room. The next evening we figured out how to use the controls to put the shades down and that took care of the majority of the outside noise and all of the light. All of the staff was very friendly and helpful- not as stuffy as we had experienced at some of the other hotels in Italy. We had drinks several nights at the rooftop restaurant- very nice but VERY expensive. We had dinner one night at the restaurant- very expensive but the food was very good. Breakfast was the typical that was offered at all the hotels we stayed at- they didn't have as nice as selection of fresh fruit as other hotels had. If we get back to Rome- we will definately stay here again.

Room Tip: Superior Rooms were worth the price to have the extra room.

Dear guest,

On behalf of our Management, and all staff members I thank you for your kind and enthusiastic review! We are all so happy to hear that the hotel was up to your expectations and we all hope to welcome you again in the future!
warm regards,

Reviewed 15 July 2014

My husband and I stayed here with our 5-year old for one night in a junior suite. The hotel is nicely located close to ancient Rome. Our room was on the 5th floor and by far the greatest advantage was the extremely large balcony. The other big pro of this hotel is that the staff was extremely helpful in setting up dinner reservations, a car to take us to the airport and even calling a few toy stores for us. They were very, very kind and very fluent in English. Unfortunately, there were a few cons that make it difficult to give this hotel 5-starts. First, the elevator on the 5th floor made a very odd and loud noise once arriving at the 5th floor. It was quite disruptive. Second, our junior suite room was extremely small such that it was tight to also have our luggage in the room (2 suitcases and 4-5 small hand bags/backpacks). It was fine for one night but would have been challenging for longer. Third, while the location is great for accessing ancient Rome it is not so close to other restaurants etc.

Room Tip: The 5th floor room had a very large & quite nice balcony.

Dear guest,

On behalf of our Management and all staff members, I thank you for your kind review! I think it is fair to clarify that the hotel has very spacious rooms for families and luggage, connecting rooms etc, but as I understand you preferred to opt for a spacious terrace on the 5th floor, so I suggest our readers to check with the hotel what would be the most suitable option for their needs.

warm regards,

Reviewed 14 July 2014

We stayed at this hotel on the recommendation of my brother and his wife who stayed here a few years ago. My sister is a self-proclaimed "hotel snob" so we felt comfortable with her opinion of the hotel, as she has high standards.

Pros: Great location close (for Roman terms... still walking required) to the Colosseum, Roman Forum, and ancient Rome. Clean room with large bathroom (we stayed in several cities in Italy-- and this was the only one large by "American standards.") Great balcony on the 5th floor with view. (We requested the 5th floor/balcony 5 months in advance after reading the other reviews.) They didn't guarantee it, but ended up being able to grant us the request. Breakfast was pleasant and had hot items like eggs & bacon as well as the standard bread, cheeses, deli meats that are traditional there.
Staff was helpful in setting up a tour of the Vatican Museum & St. Peter's Basilica.

Cons: We were in room 505 right next to the elevator, and that elevator could really use some oil! It screeched this high-pitched noise every time the elevator came to our floor. Very annoying. I didn't bother complaining about it to the staff, so not sure if they would have tended to that or not. Also, to close the doors to each room, you really had to pull the door hard, which unfortunately was a loud "bang" that your entire floor could hear. We tried to be as polite as we could with it, but the family next to us with 3 young boys was a bit less careful, and it was annoying hearing the door slam every few seconds when they were there.
That being said, we left the hotel each morning fairly early, and didn't return (except for a mid-day break a few times or to freshen up) until later in the evening, so it's not like we were interrupted all day long. We still enjoyed the very modern hotel and thought the location was great.
Our only complaint about the tour that was set up for us, was that no clear instructions on where to locate our tour guide was given. We were told that the guide would be along a specific "street" with a visible sign. Well, we walked up and down that whole street and saw tons of guides trying to recruit us into their groups, but never encountered our guide where we were told to look. We ended up randomly walking up a side street where it looked like people were gravitating towards, and began asking random guides which company they worked for. It was a miracle that we ended up connecting with the correct guide because she had no sign and was just chatting with other guides waiting for their groups. Once we linked up with her, it was great and our tour was only us and one other couple, so we greatly appreciated the small, intimate tour vs. the other 20+ people in a tour group that had to wear headphones, etc. to hear their guides. We highly recommend the small group tour!

The hotel had a special on their website for a "Relaxation Package" that required a minimum of 3 nights stay (which is how long we stayed) that included transportation to/from the train station or airport. We arrived via train and departed via plane, so it was nice not having to coordinate transportation ourselves. The train station wasn't too far from the hotel, but the airport was about a 40 minute drive-- so we thought that especially if you need to travel to/from the airport, having your own driver was a huge benefit, and probably cheaper than a cab! My recommendation would be to communicate with the front desk at the hotel to get specific instructions on WHERE to meet the driver, though! We got off our train and followed the signs to the 'exit' where we waited for the driver, but we never saw him so we had to call the hotel to contact the driver to 'find' us. The driver seemed very annoyed that he had to move the car, etc. to locate us but I think that is just how the Roman "drivers" are. Once we maneuvered in the city and saw how chaotic driving is, we completely understood his frustration. Brace yourself for the organized chaos that is traffic there!

Room Tip: The balcony was great to have, but we weren't in our room all that often so don't beat yourself up if you can't get it. Our room #505 was on the highest floor (just below the restaurant) and was quiet, cool, and had a nice view.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JenWDMD

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us in such a detailed review! It is great to know that you liked our location, the staff and your room with the balcony! I am sorry to hear that you were not happy with your next door “neighbours” so I really apologize for this inconvenient, but as you know, their impolite behaviour is beyond our control!
looking forward to welcome you again, I send you our best regards.

Reviewed 12 July 2014

Overall, I have a nice stay in this hotel. The hotel is clean, nice sized, close to major tourism attractions like Forum and Capitolini Museum. The rooftop bar has a nice view of the city at night. It is also very close to a lot of restaurants just across the river.

But it is not perfect, while location is good as it is close to some attractions, it also has its drawbacks that nobody live in the area, so there are no convenience stores, bakery, coffee shop, or ATM. Thank goodness they provide free breakfast in the morning.

Like many travelers to Italy, I flew in and out of Rome, so we stayed this hotel twice, with a few days away in between in other parts of Italy. Upon my first check out, the receptionist said, this is a 30% off coupon for you next stay with us. I told her we will be back five days later. After confirming my reservation, she changed her story that the coupon is only valid for direct book with hotel via email or their website, not places like Booking.com. So it won't apply. That is not true because I did book it directly from their website. But argument is no use, and no discount for me.

I probably will not stay here again if I ever go to Rome in the future. It is a nice hotel, but I think I may choose to stay in an area where ordinary Romanos live

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SandyWang
danypre, Director of Sales at Fortyseven Hotel Rome, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for your review and for letting us know you opinion about us! I am glad to hear you liked the hotel overall, however, I am wondering that maybe you didn’t ask our reception about the convenient store, atm, coffee shop etc…because just behind the Hotel there is a little street called Via dei Fienili that has 3 restaurants, a typical Italian convenient shop that is a mini market selling everything from food to housekeeping or beauty products, there is also a nice coffee shop with tables outside and there is a ATM machine at the corner with Piazza Venezia (5 minutes walk). Regarding the 30% discount coupon, maybe my colleagues were not clear and there was a misunderstanding, because it is meant for future reservations, not existing ones, this is of course to coax new reservations and even though you used our website to book us, the reservation was an existing one already. Anyway, should you change your mind next time you come to Rome you will be able to use your coupon and take advantage of the discount and see the beautiful part of our neighbourhood (were Romans live) that you missed this last time.

Best regards,