“Worst experience ever”

Il Castelletto
Ranked #1,763 of 3,643 Rome B&B and Inns
“Worst experience ever”
Reviewed 2 June 2013 via mobile

We only stayed an hour in this hole. The place is far away from the center (it tooked us 1h and a half to get to central station with the bus). The sheets were covered with smoke holes, and there was hair everywhere. The blanket were dirty,with make-up signs. The bathroom was full of mold. We decided to change the hotel right away.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Teqnology

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Munich, Germany
Reviewed 16 May 2013

We actually found this hotel through trip advisor and were first a bit put off by the size and location. However, upon arrival, we were pleasantly surprised. Although it is a little outside the city centre and further still from Termini train station, it is very easily accessible by bus. On a few days we even walked into the city centre, which took about an hour through a beautiful park.

The staff were absolutely wonderful! As we arrived, the receptionist explained everything to us, which buses to take, where we could walk, the best things to do and gave us a map and a few other helpful leaflets. They were very helpful in every question we asked and really friendly.

Our room was cleaned every day and our bed always arranged beautifully, which we really enjoyed and did not really expect from a bed and breakfast type of place. Unfortunately, we had a separate bathroom, which was across the hall from the bedroom, but this did not particularly interfere with our privacy during our stay.

Breakfast was reasonable, the coffee wasn't freshly brewed but we particularly enjoyed the array of yoghurts and pastries every morning. Typically European.

For us, the Hotel was very good value for money and we would recommend it to any of our friends visiting Rome.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sarahdietz1
Port Elizabeth, South Africa
Reviewed 23 July 2012

A friend and I stayed at this hotel in the second week of June 2012. Don't let first impressions fool you. The hotel itself is basic, albeit very comfortable.
What impressed me most though, was the very friendly and helpful staff. When we checked in we received a map from Georgia, who also explained some bus routes to the major tourist attractions. Every enquiry we had was answered in a friendly, helpful manor.
Marco (owner or maybe manager) did not speak English, but was very helpful anyway. At the time of our stay there was a third person helping out with cleaning the rooms. Maria was also always friendly and tried to help out with whatever she could.
Breakfast was quite plain and simple, but always very good. The room was spotless and so was the rest of the hotel.
We stayed for 4 nights, but could easily have extended. You feel like you're staying with family or friends, not just a hotel. If we ever have the opportunity to visit Rome again, there is no doubt as to where we will be staying!
By the way...what made Georgias service even more amazing was the fact that she was 7 months pregnant at the time!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank LizlWeasel
Lakeland, Florida
Reviewed 5 November 2011

This small inn located in the area between Trestavere and the Vatican City is ideally located away from the crowds. The helpful and friendly staff contribute to the comfort level that comes with a quiet stay in a quaint hotel. The price-value was great (by Rome standards) and the room was very clean and comfortable although not luxurious. There are several great neighborhood cafes located nearby and there are several bus lines with stop on the main street. The bedding was suitable and consistent with a 3-star property. The complimentary breakfast was simple but good quality - pastries, cereal, toast, coffe and juice. Free wi-fi was a little tricky until the proprietor helped me enter the IP address for the on-site router. The outdoor courtyard is very comfortable, but it is also where the smokers hangout. Bathroom and amenities were generous and more than adequate. Only negative is the noise levels early in the morning when showers are running and toilets are flushing. We would definitely stay here again when in Rome.

Room Tip: Stay on the upper floors and you may not here as much plumbing noise as we did on the first floor.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Larry R
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 12 October 2010

I liked this hotel. I was a solo traveler in Rome for one week on a very tight budget. For 40 Euro a night I got a cute little room with a cute little ensuite private bathroom (see my pics). I was in Room 107. The staff was very friendly and helpful. It felt more like staying with family in a large home, yet I had plenty of privacy. The breakfast was pretty good, and it was included in the price. It was croissants, breads, jams, cheeses, hard boiled eggs, juice, three cereal choices, milk, tea, or coffee. It was all you can eat / drink. What more do you need? There was also free wifi, which I used daily. There was a TV and Air Conditioning in my room which I did not use. I found the location to be wonderful. There are two bus lines to remember if you stay there, the H and the 98. The front desk explained everything to me when I arrived and gave me a map which they marked for me. The bus stop is a 2 minute walk from the hotel, just around the corner. Both buses stop at the same stop and where you get off of each bus is the end of the line, so not confusing at all. It's approx a 15 min bus ride to the center on the 98, and 25 mins on the H line to the station. No need for a taxi. I also found coming back to a quiet neighborhood wonderful after a full day in the busy center of Rome. You get to see what life is like for a real Roman. Food is cheaper in that neighborhood too and wonderful. The desk staff recommended 2 places on the main road that were great! There is a grocery store less than a block away and some of my favorite meals in Rome were picnic dinners with wine enjoyed on the hotel patio. Some days I spent less than 5 Euro on food, including wine. Don't forget gelato, some of the best gelato I have ever tried is at the corner gelato cafe. The only two drawbacks I can think of is perhaps that the Hotel has tile floors and sound can carry. If you have quiet neighbors it isn't an issue. Bring earplugs just in case you get a noisy neighbor as I did one night. Secondly, the shower stall is tiny, I'm talking 2 feet by 2 feet with an 18 inch opening. If you are a larger person, ask ahead of time if they have a larger one, but that is what I had in my room. Water pressure was great and always hot. Lastly, and most importantly, was the staff. They were lovely and welcoming. I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
3 Thank designerd0212
Sydney Australia
Reviewed 8 September 2010

Whilst the room was 75 euro per night, found the small room to have sheets of paint peeling off the wall in bedroom and bathroom, no soap holder in shower, samllest shower in 4 weeks of stay in France and Italy, bath towel was the size of a footmat, no bag stand, one bedside light not working, bedframe not attached to mattress, and the air conditioner water drain blocked and could not be used. Thought it would be closer to the city than it actually is.
On the positive side, it is 100m to main road with bus stop for city attractions although 45 minutes away and breakfast was a reasonable arrangement. Room was clean given all things falling apart.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PossumGully

Travellers are raving about these Rome hotels

Athens, Greece
Reviewed 20 April 2010

Even if the hotel is a lil far from the center is easy to go by bus. or by bus and metro.Really clean and comfy rooms, in a quiet and secure area ,the staff was really friendly and has everything u need close ,bus stop ,supermarket , a small cafe in the corner and a wonderfull gelateria ,there are also restaurants around .+ it provides internet.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple