“Cozy quarters - great location”
Review of Martina House

Martina House
Ranked #1,467 of 3,711 Rome B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Just off Via Veneto, Martina House is a cozy B&B with easy access to many buses and the metro. The parquet floors, interior decoration and period furniture are lovely and inviting. What's really cool is the chain of escalators and jet-walks that take you all the way down the long hill along Borghese Park to the metro station at Spagna, the Spanish Steps. After a long day of site-seeing, it was great to RIDE uphill. Martina is a gracious host who is ready to answer any questions you might have or to suggest places to visit. She connected us with a terrific local art history specialist for a couple of days of guided tours. There are many fine restaurants nearby and it was great to simply cross the street for a stroll in lovely Borghese Park. Our first experience of Rome, we loved it and hope to return and stay at Martina House!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank jpwiegand
martinahouse, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at Martina House, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2013

Thank you for expressing your opinion about your recent stay at Martina House and for appreciating the characteristics that most characterize us such a privileged location, close from the main monuments of Rome, close to the metro station and public transportation, the uniqueness of the furnishings, the cleanliness of the rooms, the friendliness and the team preparation. We do hope to see all your family again!!!

There are newer reviews for Martina House

Reviewed 24 March 2013

My husband & I started our Italian honeymoon at Martina House.
We arrived from Australia very early in the morning freezing cold & were overwhelmingly tired.
Carlo got out of his own warm bed to come & greet us & let us in.
We were absolutely overjoyed with everything about Martina House.
Firstly Carlo & Elena were the first most beautiful Italian people we met.
They did everything they possibly could to accomodate us in every way. When we arrived we had no set itinerary, we had just decided we would start by staying in Rome for 5 days & work out what to do afterwards.
We were delighted with the location because we could walk to "everything" & not have to worry about catching cabs or trying to work out the Public Transport.
Elena was so beautiful, her breakfasts in the morning were so thoughtful. Being Aussies, she deliberately went out to buy eggs & bread for us to have eggs & toast because she had heard that was what Aussies ate for breakfast. In all honesty, we were of the opinion, when in Rome-do as the Romans do so we were happy to have anything that was offered & whatever was "the norm" but that she had gone out to buy eggs especially for us was extra thoughtful & very sweet.
We had an issue having a shower too, because we didn't realise how the taps worked, at first we thought it was a plumbing issue, but after a quick chat with Carlo, all was sorted & we had beautiful hot showers & a very nice long sleep.
The view from the window was just beautiful of the hotel across from us & the street with the saxophonist playing below, watching the tourists & the locals strolling by so happily was lovely.
the Gardens next door were heavenly & we were so close to the Spanish Steps, The Trevi Fountain, so many Trattorias & Restorante's it was wonderful.
When we decided we wanted to stay an extra few days in Rome, Carlo & Elena made room for us at the Colosseo Apartment which was self contained & right opposite the Colloseum. (Please forgive my spelling - I have a chronic illness which has affected my neurological side).
In all honesty, my husband and I both cannot speak highly enough of Martina House, Elena & Carlo for their hospitality or for the service, location & everything we required. It was the perfect start to a perfect honeymoon & we would both more than willingly go back to Martina House at any time.
We firmly believe you get back what you put out. Elena, Carlo, my husband & myself spent many hours talking & learing about each other's countries. We would most definitely welcome them in our home at any time & sincerely thank them for their beauty & hospitality.
Immersing yourself in the culture of the location you are staying in is one of the best ways to enjoy such a beautiful place as Italy. We did just that & we will do it once again when our two small boys are a little older to enjoy it as much as we did.
Thankyou Elena, Carlo & Martina House for making our first week in Italy so wonderful. Your helpfulness whilst in Rome and in showing us other beautiful places to go etc were well worth the cost of our stay. You are both lovely, sweet & incredibly helpful people. Bless you both.
Cher & Chris McGuinness

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
martinahouse, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at Martina House, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2013

Thank you very much for telling and shareing your experience at Martina House.
Your words will repay our efforts and know that your stay was beyond your expectations is for us a source of great satisfaction.
Our efforts are focused on offer our guests a warm, friendly and familiar atmosphere of a private residence, we are always ready to help and advise our guests.
Thank you for talking to the central location where Martina House is: as you said everything is within walking distance and this makes the visit much more simple! We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay even in Martina al Colosseo, the apartment that we manage is located a stone's throw from the Colosseum! Having an apartment with kitchen and living room only for you provides more space and freedom!

We hope to see you soon for your next holiday in Rome, let's hope for your wedding anniversary!!

Reviewed 27 February 2013

Martina House is located in the beautiful Via Veneto area of Rome. The location is ideal for me.
There is public transportation nearby and wonderful restaurants close at hand. Martina House is on the fifth floor of the building. The floors are beautiful parquet and the doors to each room are those beautifully painted original doors from the 1800s. Each morning the guests are served a continental breakfast usually made up of hardboiled eggs, bread, butter, jam, coffee, fruit, etc.
( A personal story: when Martina learned that my digestive system cannot tolerate caffeine she immediately went out and bought some peppermint herbal tea just for me.) My room was always kept clean and I found all of the staff to be very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
martinahouse, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at Martina House, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2013

We really thank you for have left your review! We are happy you spent good time with us! Thank you for have talked about the breakfast, we try to satisfy every guest and every needs!
We do hope to see you again!!!
A big CIAO from Rome

Reviewed 3 February 2013

Its a B&B. Good price for a location where hotels are charging $400+/room. Its great if all you're looking for is a place to sleep and get out in the morning. There are no thrills.There was WiFi to use free of charge. Martina, the owner, prepared us coffee,juice, bread, pastries, etc every morning, which was just perfect for our needs. She and her staff were very helpful with any info we needed for our day to day travels. We spent most of our days out site seeing, shopping and dining. The location is right in the center of the high end hotels, shopping and dining all within walking distance. We walked to all the site seeing areas from here and rarely had to use transportation. If you're looking for all the amenities, this is not for you, but if you are in Rome to get out and enjoy what this great city has to offer, Martina's House would suit you right. Good Travels.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
martinahouse, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Martina House, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2013

Thank you very much for have left your review!!! Thank you for have talked about the central location! As you said is very easy to reach every point of interests walking! We are happy to have been of help for your day to day travels! Hope to see you!

Reviewed 19 January 2013

I am going to give the most honest description possible, both pros and cons. This will be long but worth it to read!

First you should know, I am 26, well traveled and have stayed in many different places all over Italy & the world. It was my parents first trip out of the states and I paid for it and surprised them... so I spent a little more $ to try to stay somewhere nicer than if it were just me and a friend my age.

First, let me start by saying that Martina tries to please the customer (i think?). Martina serves breakfast to you (Which I would prefer to get my own because its just super awkward.) My dad couldn't have the coffee b/c he can only have decaf and she went out after our first day and bought decaffeinated coffee, which was very nice because we didn't ask for it or make any type of fuss.
The place is in a safe area, right off Via Veneto. 15 min from Spanish Steps and 20 to Trevi Fountain. Very close to Borghese Gardens/Gallerie. 10-15 minute walk up a slight hill from the Bernini Metro stop. It is closer to another metro entrance, but you have a 10 minute walk in a gross tunnel and the walk on Via Veneto is much nicer.

Okay, the Cons:
First, there was a hair in my bed, but whatever- I wasnt about to complain. But there is NO BODY SOAP! You are provided with a tiny shampoo packet and a pump type hand soap that you'd have in your own home- but i had to go out and spend 12 Euro on 2 bars of soap at the Pharmacy (Farmacia). Thats obscene. The fact that I flew/traveled for 20 hours and many people do the same... all i wanted to do was shower when I got there. She should have at least made it known that I should bring my own soap!

Next, you only get new towels for every 3 days. Which I don't have a problem with because I try to conserve energy, but this is what I do have a problem with: I had a clean towel with a tiny bit of makeup on it and Martina took it out and i only had 1 towel for the next 2 days. Also, I had the "Do Not Disturb" sign on my door when she did this which leads me to my next point.
MARTINA DOES NOT PAY ATTENTION TO THE "DO NOT DISTURB" SIGN!! She came in my room when I didn't want her to, took the towel, unplugged my computer (which i needed charged to write a paper for college since i skipped school to come here), she put my sneakers under the bed and when I needed them the following day because it was rainy, i almost missed my train to Florence because I spent 15+ minutes looking for my sneakers bc they weren't where I left them.
ALSO- one day i actually had time to sleep in and she tried to come in while i was still in here with the do not disturb sign on. i know this because i locked the door the night before and was staying in a room alone. i checked the door and it was definitely locked. When i woke up it was unlocked... martina def tried to come in when the "do not disturb" sign was up. This is really inappropriate. What if I were here with a significant other and we didnt want to be disturbed because we were having 'private time'? How awful that she just comes in. Yes, it is her property- but it is MY room that I paid for, I'm not harboring fugitives in here, I just don't want my space being disturbed. She even did it again after my mom requested that she not go in my room that day she understood and said okay but still went in because my bed was made... and the do not disturb sign was up. That is NOT normal... and don't say it's the culture because it's not I've stayed in italy enough to know.

The shower floods because the drain doesn't work and had some moldy looking stuff on the tile... the Keys for the room are like old skeleton keys and difficult to use- although not my first experience with those at a B&B in rome... it was very difficult for my parents to use.
The Guest house is 5 floors up- my parents came home late after I dragged them all around Naples/Napoli all day long and were exhausted, plus my dad is a senior citizen so... as you can imagine he was not happy to find the elevator was broken
My parents were without hot water one morning when taking a shower as well.

The internet is very dysfunctional and since I needed to communicate with school, I used a lot of data on my cell phone plan which was absurd because I paid to have working wi-fi.

The rooms were very cold and you can't control your own temperature... however Martina turned up the heart for the duration of my stay which was nice, but I prefer to have some control over my room temperature. My room was quieter than my parents room (I was in courtyard, they were off via lazio) however if you prefer to sleep in and are a light sleeper... goodluck. on my end of the apartment you hear the banging around as martina cooks breakfast and cleans at 8am, and my parents end the main door is SO LOUD when it opens and closes, it really needs to be oiled to not be so loud.
Also you have to be super quiet for the other guests because sound really travels in this place and even the floors creek.

Overall you really get what you pay for, but i am not sure why the reviews are SO good. I think I paid the equivilent of $800-$900 USD for two bedrooms, for 6 nights. So thats about $70 US dollars per room per night which is a little too much considering the things that went wrong and the location isnt exactly central.

I have to defend the breakfast that Martina has, after some posts I read. There is no such thing has hot eggs and bacon in italy for breakfast... breakfast in italy is... never really a big thing. I wish she had more healthy options, like plain yogurt, however and maybe bananas.
She provides hard boiled eggs- which is great... a cake type thing that is very bland and not very good but has excellent jam to spread on it. she had some flavored sugary yogurts out a few of the days. I think yogurt is a great staple for a place like this. she has little apricots, and coffee. but no cappuccino.

Martina is a very nice woman & she seems to try, but the place could be cleaner (there was a gross dirty cup in my bathroom - she cleaned it and put it back but it shouldn't have been in there all dirty in the first place) and you really get what you pay for. My biggest problem is this place is very over-rated/ talked up more than it should be. I don't believe any reviews have been unbiased. People probably feel uncomfortable talking about the complaints because it is a B&B and not a hotel and you get to know martina if you are up for breakfast from 8-10. On the other hand, some other people on here really went overboard when they said"worst place ever" and things of that nature. It is a decent enough place-but they were probably mis-led about expectations, as I was due to tripadvisor.

I have posted the problems so she can fix them and so others know what it is exactly like. If the price was right I would consider staying again- but probably not due to the distance from Termini/Metros and the fact that I can pay much less for a basic no frills room. And also because after posting the Cons, I doubt Martina would be very happy to see me again. I was very upset because I wanted my family to have a great experience and the way the B&B was my parents just weren't thrilled... But then again- they are probably not B&B people and maybe I should have known better.
Oh, also their bathroom was disgustingly small and had i known, i would have switched with them to try to better their stay a little bit. My bathroom smelled like sewage. It was gross.

AFTER WE LEFT I RECEIVED A RUDE EMAIL FROM SOMEONE WHO WASN'T MARTINA SAYING WE OWED 50 EURO FOR A TAXI. Martina wasn't there our last day some other lady was. My parents asked if they could call the Taxi. Well the taxi pulled up and we took it, and then when I arrived home I found an email from this woman rudely saying I owed her 50 Euro for the taxi because we left without using it. What!? It also stated they would be charging my credit card on file. Excuse me?! I paid my driver... We got in the taxi that pulled up and the driver said "Airport?". That is not how you treat guests. What a scam artist that lady was trying to be.

Like I said, it has its pros & cons... it is in a pretty area, and it isn't outrageously expensive. My room was quiet at night (however if i had noisy people across the hall that would be a different story)... I recommend writing your priorities on a piece of paper before looking for a place to stay and reviews. If it wasn't for the decent price here I wouldnt have been able to afford a trip for all 3 of us... but i think there are better deals especially if a B&B isn't your first choice.
Hope this helps, feel free to message me with any questions.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank valgal212

Thank you very much for have left your review!
Thank you for have talked about the very central location, the nice and safe area and about the breakfast that we serve because we think to make this moment relaxing for our guests.
As you said there are eggs, yogurt, cake, bread, butter, jam, coffe, tea, juice, milk.
For breakfast we try to meet the needs of everyone, as was for the decaf coffee for your father, we served gluten-free bread for celiac guests or cheese and fruit for vegetarian guests.
In the bathroom there are the classic single-dose sachets of shampoo, we could provide you other once finished those three.
About the not disturb sing: we came in your room just to check if the window was closed as it was raining, the rain could ruin the stained parquet.
The parquet, as the keys, as the doors, as the windows are original from the beginning of 19century, for this reason they need a little bit of attention but we believe it's worth to preserve the uniqueness of Martina House, as some guests told "like being in an art gallery"!.
The problem of unstable connection has been solved thanks to the intervention of a technician a couple of weeks ago.
Unfortunatly the elevator broke the same day of your arrival and we understand is not so easy have to take the stairs, but the day after the elevator has been fixed.
We have a private shuttle service from/to the airport to make the transfer easyly, expecially when you have an early flight because the driver arrive at the front door at the fixed time that you give and he fetchs you directly to the airport. For this reason you asked to book the shuttle service from Martina House to the airport but happened that you haven't taken the shuttle, as i understand you took a normal taxi. When the driver came for you and you were already gone he wanted to be paid anyway because he came to do its service, luckily at the end he flew over the matter.
Thanks for talking about the rates that we apply in the most elegant neighborhood of Rome.

Reviewed 17 December 2012

We had a spacious room and the appartment was situated in a central spot, everything on walking distance which was great, but the service was not so good. Breakfast was rather poor and the personnel left our room open after cleaning, afterwards denying this. we were not so happy with that.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Debbie R
martinahouse, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Martina House, responded to this reviewResponded 18 December 2012

Thank you very much for have mentioned the spacious room and the central location! We are sorry you didn't like the brakfast, we always try to serve sweet and savoury foods so our guests can have a great choise: brad, butter, jam, cake, yogurt, ham, eggs, cheese and tea, coffe, milk, juice to drink. When we clean up the rooms we open windows and doors to air the room but we are always there, no one stranger can come inside!

Reviewed 15 December 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Martina house for 4 nights in November. The price is the best part of this place. We arrived late in the evening after traveling for many hours. We were looking forward to showering and going to bed. There was no hot water, just cold water and about 50 fahrenheit outside, not ideal for ice cold showers. When we flushed the toilet it would come up in the shower through the drain and vice versa when we used the showering the smell in the bath room was awful (it was there all 4 days) We had no way of contacting anyone from the hotel, no phone,no Internet and no one was there til the morning. The hot water was fixed the next day but the other problems were not. It was disgusting and very unsanitary. One morning we decided to sleep in a little and was woken up but the maid and asked to leave so she could clean now. On the positive side, the girls that work in the morning are very nice, very helpful and very pleasant.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Scott M
martinahouse, Proprietario at Martina House, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2012

Dear Guest,

we are very sorry that you did not enjoy your stay here at Martina House.
We did not know anything about the problem you experienced with hot water,and the plumbing system. We did not have any problem with hot water!
If we had known it that we could have given you some useful suggestions or we could have done somenthing to make your stay better.
We are sorry anyway for not having fulfilled your expectations.