“Rotten seafood and the tourist is always wrong!”
Review of Le Bistro - CLOSED

Le Bistro
Dining options: After-hours
Neighbourhood: Campo Marzio
Bermuda
“Rotten seafood and the tourist is always wrong!”
Reviewed 11 July 2014

If I could give this restaurant zero stars I would. My husband and I went for a quick lunch before touring the rest of the sites of rome on our honeymoon. We were quickly fooled by the appearance of great food and a wonderful ambience. We soon realized it was all lie. I ordered a smoked salmon salad for us to share which I had a feeling would be a bad choice... I was right. We also ordered a gnocchi dish in anticipation of it being fresh and homemade. I ordered the seafood risotto because I saw someone else order it and it looked good. When we got the food and started to taste it we realized quickly how bad this place actually was. The gnocchi was clearly from a frozen package with canned sauce.... The seafood risotto was full of frozen seafood pieces. You could smell the odor of bad seafood as soon as it was placed on the table. I ate some of it because we were starving... But I didn't dare touch the shrimp on top of the risotto because I feared food poisoning. The couple next to us ordered the same risotto and said the shrimp was off because black liquid poured out of it when he cut into it.
This was not the worst part. I ate 3 bites of the salad, one of which had the smoked salmon in it, before I realized that the salmon was completely off. It tasted sour and chewy and was repulsive so we pushed it to the side and beared the pastas. When the waitress asked what was wrong I said the salmon was off and we didn't want the salad. When it came time to pay the bill I told the waitress that we were not paying for the salad because it was bad. Enter Guido, the " I don't give a crap about the customer" manager of this lovely tourist trap. I informed him that we were not paying for a salad that was off and would make us sick. The argument then ensued. Long story short Guido called the local police on us as we refused to pay the 12 euros for a rotten salad. We were happy to pay for the rest of the meal even though we hated it. We waited 40 minutes for the police to show and when they did guido proceeded to lie to them about how the situation happened. He said we ate the whole salad, and that he went into the kitchen after they had presumably thrown away the rest of the salad, and eaten a piece of my salmon to check if it was bad. Lies lies and more lies. Luckily the waitresses were very sweet and translated very well to both my husband and I and to the cops while guido was trying to discredit the visiting tourist couple. After the fiasco concluded guido was forced to comp our salad as we originally requested. Sorry guido, the argument was entertaining at best.... At least we have a story to tell our children about how we "-almost got arrested in rome over a salad!"

• Visited July 2014

• Arabic first
Montreal, Canada
“Attracted by the ambiance”
Reviewed 21 February 2014 via mobile

Sat outside,friendly staff,the rest was average,food,wine and service.A complete tourist venue.I would not go back.

• Visited February 2014
Rome, Italy
“Friendly staff, horrible food and wine”
Reviewed 24 December 2013 via mobile

This place was packed with tourists on Christmas Eve. The staff was very friendly, so we decided to wait for a table. The wine was terrible by Rome standards... It didn't even compare to some of the cheap house wine I've had at smaller restaurants. The food was worse... My wife's fish soup was full of fish, but it smelled like it was not fresh, and it was very bland. We both love seafood, but after eating a piece of fish from her soup, I couldn't get rid of the fishy after taste in my mouth for the rest of the evening.

It was a shame because the staff really was genuinely friendly, and the location was fantastic... I wish the food and wine were better.

Visited December 2013
Calgary, Canada
“Drinks Only”
Reviewed 8 October 2013

We selected this restaurant because of it's location and inviting looking patio. It was 7:00 pm and we were hungry after a full day of sightseeing. Tables here are almost on top of each other, but part of the fun is talking to other travelers. We quickly ordered our wine and an entree, the wine arrived quickly but our food never did show up. When we realized we had been waiting a very long time (45 minutes by now) we called them over and it was apparent they had forgotten us. They said it would be another 15 minutes so we said cancel our order and asked them to comp our wine for the lack of service. Not only did they say no they threatened to call the police. With a good location and a steady stream of new tourists they could not care less. Very poor attitude and I expect that if we has actually gotten a meal it would have been less than great.

• Visited October 2013
McKinney, Texas
“Daily homemade pasta!”
Reviewed 4 September 2013

This little bistro style place was a great lunch spot for us while we were in Rome. Just a block or so from our B & B they make fresh pasta daily and server Pranzo (lunch) for just 4.50 Euro

Great little spot at a great price!

Visited August 2013