“A total disappointment!”

Ranked #314 of 797 Tours in Rome
Waterloo, Belgium
“A total disappointment!”
Reviewed 3 August 2013

He came highly recommended from some of our friends. So, I believe at one point he used to be a great tour guide, but this is no longer the case. I will say he did a good job with the tour through the Vatican but it went down hill fast from there. He was so pre-occupied with his phone; checking messages (while driving!), texting and even taking phone calls on our dime. He rushed us through the Colosseum and Pathenon. He told us it wasn't worth going a seeing the Roman Forum and Palentine Hill, yet we went there the next day (on our own) and it was amazing. I asked him about the overlay map that I heard he used, he said we didn't need it. Again, we bought one the the next day, which was great as we have a 10 year old and it really showed her the before and after. By the end of the day, we was making fun of all the tourists we saw (hello, we are in Rome, here) and was even bold enough to start making fun of the Americans (we are American and he knew that) therefore, biting the hand that was feeding him. This was the nail in the coffin for me, I was disgusted with him by this point. He dropped us off early, at 3:00, supposed to be 5:00, but I didn't say anything as I just wanted done with him. Marco has clearly lost his touch and has become pompous. The icing on the cake was this tour was 600 euros, for just the three of us. This was a complete rip-off!!!!

Visited April 2013
MarcoRomeTours, Proprietario at Marco Rome Private Day Tours, responded to this review, 18 August 2013
I don't visit the forum just because it's not on my schedule and you cannot complain about something that I don't offer to you, I don't tease anybody I've just a great sense of humore that maybe many people appreciate but you did not, and I usually I'm so intelligent to tease everybody including me as a first, also we finished the tour at 4:30 just as like was the schedule of my tour.

Toronto, ON
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Perfect Way To See Rome In A Day”
Reviewed 18 July 2013

We loved Marco and his red shoes! We booked the tour on-line and he was great at communicating with us via email before the trip. He met us at our hotel as planned for an exciting day of tours all over Rome. Once you meet Marco it is like you are old friends and have known him for a long time. He takes you through the Vatican...having a personal tour guide was really great. You bypass all the long lines and he points out things you might not normally see. Having him with us (and not just driving us) throughout the day was perfect. The place he took us for our lunch was also very special. My husband and I enjoyed wonderful food and lovely wine...very special. Marco knows just where to park so you are able to cover lots of ground in just one day. At the end of our day he presented us with a cookbook as a souvenir of Rome. I highly recommend Marco...worth every penny and now we have a so many great memories (and pictures) to remember Rome by.

Visited July 2013
“Do Not Use Marco Rome Tours”
Reviewed 11 July 2013

This was the biggest rip off ever. Marco told us to meet him at 9am off our boat. Everyone else on our boat was off at 7:30. He never showed up, sending us another driver. We were told it was a "mix up". We spent the entire day rushing from one place to another. When I complained to Marco, he said he was so sorry for the mix-up and would refund my money. I never got a cent. He then got very nasty with me telling me I was not grateful for his air conditioned car and fabulous tour. Anyone who wants to see the email exchanges, I will gladly show you. Do yourself a favor, get another company to take you to Rome. This is an over priced bait and switch. He probably overbooks and sends his other drivers so he won't lose the business. A very nasty man. Still waiting for my refund that you promised.

Visited June 2013
Your language is very offensive, (you're a very nasty man....) I don't know why you use these words to me even if there is a possibility you're right about your point of view, you should have more respect about people.
Magenta, Australia
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 81 helpful votes
“Follow the Red Shoes”
Reviewed 30 June 2013

Listen to us...this guy is Mister enthusiasm and we all fell in love with his thoughtful and thorough commentary.
Marco IS an expert at all things Rome...and ever so attentive.
Ask Marco to take you anywhere Roma and he will deliver.
We cannot recommend him more highly.
Plus...the WI FI in his vehicle is a real plus.
What a great guide, and a good family man too!
Caio.

Visited June 2013
“Rome from the eyes and the heart of a Roman”
Reviewed 13 June 2013

What a marvelous host we had to give us a tour of Rome for two days! We found Marco on the Internet because we were looking for a private tour of Rome. His site was easy to find and to navigate in. He picked us up at our hotel and showed us many highlights of Rome. We took a tour of the centre of Rome on the first day. The Colosseum was a high point and Marco took us right in without waiting in the long line outside. He was informative and also very funny. Our daughters appreciated the wifi that he had in his van and that he shared with us during lunch. We also toured the Piazza Navona, the Pantheon, the Circus Maximus, the Catacombs and St. Paul's Basilica. Marco had the perfect mix of sharing information and giving us time to ourselves to explore. He took us to a wonderful ristorante called Hosteria Antica Roma along the Appian Way that was outstanding. Paulo was the chef and host and he explained the history of his restaurant and also some of the dishes that he prepares from ancient times. A lasagna from a recipe before the time of Christ found in ancient literature and a cheese spread made from an ancient recipe that we put on our bread as an appetizer. And the Tiramisu was "to die for." Everything was delicious! And the ambience was in a room that was an excavated prayer room that Ceasar had prepared for his servants. That was all on the first day!
The second day was just as wonderful as we toured the Vatican Museum, the Sistine Chapel, and St. Peter's Basilica in the morning and then had lunch in a very nice ristorante outside of Rome in a small town called Ceri which was situated on a hill that could only be accessed by a one lane road. There we feasted on dishes prepared with wild boar which reminded me much of the moose I had had before. Nevertheless it was very good. We relaxed and had an expresso after driving to Bracciano where we toured an ancient castle called Castello Orsini Odescalchi with magnificent views of Lake Bracciano and the surrounding countryside. The castle had served host to kings and queens and Popes in its history. What a wonderful taste of Rome, its history and the area surrounding. Marco took us to places we never would have gone. Grazie Marco! You made Rome come alive for us!

Visited June 2013

Been to Marco Rome Private Day Tours? Share your experiences!