“Excellent steak!!!”

Neighbourhood: Vatican / Borgo
Rome, Italy
“Excellent steak!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2013 via mobile

I went to this restaurant because of a good review I read. And I was not disappointed. I love the fact that they display on a beutifuly laid out glass panel the pieces of meat from which you can choose what you want to be on your plate. It's like being in a meatshop and restaurant at the same time. In fact this is the atmosphere they want to project. Hence, the freshness and quality of meat is guaranteed. When my steak reached my table, all my great expectations were validated. With the obvious quality of the meat, I was not afraid to ask for it 'rare'. It was one of thh top steaks I have tried.

It is best enjoyed with fresh salad or baked potato wedges. And, certainly, some red wine. The restaurant have a decent collection too.

Worth visiting. It's vert near the Roman Pantheon.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Cris F

Culver City, California
“OMG”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2013

It was hard to find, but it is a hidden gem, There is no big sign outside, you must know the address, The meat is so good, tender and flavorful, service was excellent

Visited June 2013
Berkeley, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Delicious meal, authentic experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2013

My husband and I passed this restaurant earlier in the day while walking to our hotel. It stood out as not trying to appeal to tourists, but looked authentic and patronized by locals. We were welcomed by a friendly staff, without a reservation on a Saturday night at 9:30. The place filled up shortly thereafter. As far as we could tell we were the only Americans there. We had the carpaccio and a good bottle of Primitivo to start. The mixed salad wasn't anything special, but the grilled vegetables were excellent. My husband had the pork chop and I had the spicy sirloin. It was too much food, but we made a good effort! The staff was courteous and spoke English. This was the first night of our trip and our only night in Rome. We are thrilled with our choice of Maxela and would definitely recommend it here.

• Visited April 2013
“If meat is your cup of tea”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2013

A few years ago I've visited the Maxela in Genoa Excellent meat.
Curious to check if the roman version was equally as good, we finally decided to pay a visit.
The Genoa branch also offered pasta dishes, not to be found in this roman location (there is a second Maxela at Via delle Coppelle).
That being said, we appreciated the friendly atmosphere (notice to the claustrophobic: the local is half way underground).
Did I mention the meat is excellent? We tried the house wine (Scottona) which found to be a good match with our ordering. Dessert was good but nothing to write home about and the price was quite reasonable both times we've been there. Wouldn't mind trying other restaurants of the Maxela chain.

• Visited March 2013
Rome, Italy
“Underground”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2013 via mobile

The meat is excellent, and at a more than reasonable price: other than typical meats (steak and such) you can also find more Roman stuff, such as brain and kidney. The servers are very nice.
Only problem: I don't really like underground places. But that's just me.