“Excellent trattoria with very reasonable prices”

Trattoria Dal Cavalier Gino
Ranked #258 of 12,458 Restaurants in Rome
Price range: US$0 - US$37
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Campo Marzio
Rome, Italy
“Excellent trattoria with very reasonable prices”
Reviewed 25 February 2014

This is a little gem tucked away in an alley near the Parlamento on Vicolo Rosini (near the Corso). Open for lunch; for dinner it opens at 8 p.m. (closes at 10:30), and reservations are a must (you may need to book days in advance in high season). It's small, packed, and bustling for a good reason -- traditional, good trattoria food at reasonable prices. Excellent pastas, particularly nice mixed antipasti plate (loved the artichoke pie), good lamb dishes. Heavenly tiramisu. Dinner for two, with wine, as 66 euros (we shared the antipasti place and dessert). Very pleasant service. This is a place to go back to over and over (if you can get in, that is!)

• Visited February 2014
2 Thank SpanishStepsApt

• Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, England, United Kingdom
“Nice food, but too expensive for what it is”
Reviewed 13 February 2014

We came here because of the reviews on tripadvisor, and knew what to expect. The food was nice, and the service, as Italians, was both fun and fine. However, the restaurant feels like a 'family' type of restaurant where you expect to pay 15-20 euros for a workers' menu. Instead, we paid 60 euros for two firsts and two seconds and water. That's certainly what you'd expect to pay in other restaurants, but you shouldn't have to pay that much here.

• Visited February 2014
Riga, Latvia
“Unexpected Ending”
Reviewed 7 January 2014

We have been to this trattoria previously, and the food was excellent again, served by the same waiter 2 years later. It's a busy place, so don't count on special treatment. The more local and Italian you are, or speak at least a bit of Italian, the better service you'll get, but they don't necessarily dislike tourists, just have to be open- minded and blend in. The food and wine is classic, nothing extraordinary, but well prepared and tasty.
My biggest disappointment this time was that I was artfully ripped- off by the cashier lady at the end. I left a 5 EUR note for the waiter at the table, because we liked everything. Our bill was 66 EUR, I gave the cashier 70 EUR. While I was distracted looking at their business card, she was holding 55 EUR in her hand, and demanding another 10 EUR, saying that would be enough, forget the 1 EUR.
I knew I only had brand new 10 and 20 bills left in my wallet: there is no way I could have given her 55. I did not argue, but it made us feel a little bitter, not the first time ripped off in Rome, and probably not the last...

• Visited January 2014
3 Thank Didzis R
kiryat ono
“Wow!”
Reviewed 27 December 2013 via mobile

At the first time we came at 6PM and the restaurant was close, we were very disappointed because we read many good things about the place. At our last day in Rome we arrived for lunch (we didn't made reservations but you probably should because the please was crowded...). The food was great and the price was fair. The tomato assume for the Ravioli and the Gnocchi was Devine.

Visited December 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Incredibly rude!”
Reviewed 14 December 2013

Having seen the rave reviews about this restaurant my boyfriend and I decided to try it out for Saturday lunch. Rather naively we didn't book, favouring instead the turn up at around 2.30pm. Through the door the smell was enough to make our mouths water,and I would love nothing more than to support the positive reviews on here. However upon entering the restaurant we were rather rudely ignored for a couple of minutes, eventually the waiter shouted at us 'have reservation?' To which we replied we did not. He then shouted 'full' and walked away. I understand the restaurant may be busy and there may be no tables available, however to be so rude seemed unnecessary and disappointing. I will not be returning to this restaurant and will definitely not recommend it to friends, manners cost nothing!

• Visited December 2013
5 Thank LKJ2013

Been to Trattoria Dal Cavalier Gino? Share your experiences!