“So slow!”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours
Neighbourhood: Trastevere
Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

We arrived at 9.00pm - waited for table, waited 20 minutes for our order to be taken and waited over an hour for food and although it was good we were so disappointed. Don't bother

1  Thank Echo34Delta

Reviewed 8 February 2014 via mobile

We were looking for a place for dinner when we spotted a small doorway around the corner from the Piazza Santa Maria. A waiter was stood in the doorway which always puts me off but despite this we decided to go in. Note - the entrance we came through say ' Romano Italianio - not Osteria Romano but they are the same place (2 entrances) The restaurant was rustic and a slightly bier keller style, however any atmosphere was ruined by a large plasma tv with 80's music tv channel blaring out. So bizarre! I ordered Cacio di Pepe & my partner ordered the special hamburger (gorgonzola, mushrooms & bacon) the waiter asked if he'd like fries with the burger which he said yes to. We both had a bottle of beer. When the food came I was disappointed; my pasta was lukewarm and a tiny portion :-( but it was tasty. The burger looked good but it was very well done, actually burnt in parts but edible. I had to pinch some salad & fries from my partner to fill myself up. During the meal my husband asked for a glass of red wine, the waiter brought 2 so we returned one. We both ordered a tiramisu which was good and then asked for the bill. To our surprise it was ?83!!! We checked it and there was a 15% service charge added, also the fries were ?5 and they had charged us for the 2nd glass of wine. We asked them to change it which they did and we left. Unimpressed! Avoid.

Reviewed 11 January 2014

Big restaurant with a big menu, which is always tricky. The waiters were very rude and untrained; they forgot multiple items (wine, sauces, side dishes) and when asked told us we didn't order any of those items.. The meat was VERY though, the ambiance sadenning (bigscreens playing music television). Don't even think about eating here.

Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

It's the worst ristorante that I could find in Rome..
I had to wait 30 minutes for table, then another 20 to order, and then another 40 to eat...
And when I ate I had the biggest surprise, plus 15 % from the total amount... Do you believe it? I couldn't..!!!and I was obligated to pay because it was written in the menu, with small letters.
So I will never but never go again to this ristorante and I would like to help everyone I can, so he doesn't have the same luck as I had!!

Reviewed 26 October 2013

We picked this because of it's situation, great view of the church, and we foolishly expected the experience to live up to the location but it seemed that the staff simply know they have a golden egg and can charge what they like and they don't have to try to please the customer. The service (for which a service charge is added, without any pre-warning before ordering or any option to decline paying it) was slow - on the table next to ours only one main course came out and they had to chase up the other main course, and at another table the couple disputed the bill as they had been overcharged, and that's just in our section over an hour. The pizzas we had were lovely - paper thin and crispy, but overall the meal was let down by cheap ingredients (Is chocolate sauce from a squeezy bottle really necessary on panna cotta? Well, in this case, yes, because something had to give it flavour and hide the plastic taste of blandness), a rather weird smell from the drains and the uncaring attitude of the waiting staff who know they don't have to bother taking pride in what they do or care about the punters paying through the nose. So in essence, you won't find it hard to find better places in Trastevere, bypass here and explore further.

Been to Osteria Romana? Share your experiences!