“Newly refurbished, modern, SPA, pool ... a good deal!”

Palazzo Montemartini
Ranked #99 of 1,271 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 23 February 2014

The Hotel is greatly located, very close to the Termini Railway station. Max walking distance to the farest turism objective was like 70 minutes, not in a rush style. But at 5 min you meet the frist one... We stayed there in mid Feb 2014, four nights. Our room headed to the back yard, so no exciting view... but quiet. The interior&exterior was recently refurbished in a great way. The place has style! Room is reasonably large, bathroom very well equiped and larger than many other, hotel's swimming pool is good and SPA services as well (don't forget your swimming suits :) ). The hotel has a parking place, for aprox 10-12 cars, but not sure if access is for free-need a prior check before. Roomservice was good, prompt and the staff was professional and friendly. One remark I need to make refers to breakfast: no fresh vegetables in any of the mornings. It would be great if management can do something about this. Otherwise nothing to complain of. I warmly recommed this hotel.

Room Tip: Put your bathing suit in your luggage if you enjoy the pool.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank CARGO2010

Reviewed 10 February 2014 via mobile

Just returned from a week in Rome and stayed for the Thursday to Sunday in this hotel. It's decor is ultra modern as the hotel was only opened in September after 3 years of renervations, the building was the ex Agency of Public Transport of Rome. This is 1 of only 2, 5 star hotels in Rome with an indoor swimming pool. The rooms in all areas are stunning, very Italian. We had a sauna in the wet room on the 3rd floor. Gold ceilings are huge! The restaurant was fabulous and we had evening meals and breakfast here. Staff were really friendly and helpful. Only criticisms was that the room and some parts have an overpowering smell of paint and chlorine from the swimming pool was too much at times. Also the hotel is directly opposite the central train and bus station which we thought was a bonus as you can get the open top tour buses directly outside, but OMG the noise, I have travelled the world and the only noise I can say was as loud was New York, it was incessant all hours day and night, even with the double glazing and shutters firmly closed. FYI there is a law in Rome that large vans and bin trucks can only run at night to reduce congestion which is off the scale. After 2 bad nights sleep the only way forward was to drink until I passed out! None the less it is a great hotel for couples on a romantic break, as we were!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Matt G
Reviewed 15 December 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I visited palazzo montemartini for his 40th birthday and we were blown away. I wasn't so sure when I booked it as the reviews online focused a lot on their teething problems (hotel opened mid September 2013). It is a short 5 minute walk from termini station and the building is as impressive on the outside as it is on the inside. We stayed at one of the superior rooms (205). We had no trouble at all with noise from the main road (I'm a light sleeper and could not hear anything!). You MUST make an effort to visit the spa! It's a beautiful oasis with heated pool, sauna, steam room etc. The highlight for me was the breakfast room, a beautifully restored room that combines modern touches with bro classical features. The hotel staff were lovely (especially Agata), really helpful and always smiling. I would definitely return! It's a special place! Well done!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank vouloula
Reviewed 3 December 2013

I booked the Palazzo Montemartini as a birthday treat for my wife. The hotel is easy to find (just across from the Rome Termini station) so is very convenient. First impressions was a very modern and stylish hotel although the entrance of the Palazzo Montemartini was not as grand as some of its contemporaries. Our room (203) was again very modern and white - it was almost like a padded cell and strangely laid out with the bed facing the wall. The en-suite bathroom was surrounded by frosted glass which became an issue at night as there was a courtesy light at floor level which could not be turned off so the room was not totally dark at night. The other issue I had was the mini-bar which switched on and off every two minutes and had a fan that rattled. If only I had been shown the on/off switch I would have slept much better on our first night. The main problem in the bathroom was the basin which was again very contemporary like most of the fixtures and fittings, but had a plug that did not close. I raised this with the hotel but it turned out that all rooms were the same (style over substance). There was no door on the shower which meant that water inevitably got on to the wood laminate floor and there was evidence that the boards were starting to lift because of this. I pointed this out to the staff. I should add that the hotel had only been opened in September so there were a number of teething problems such as the lifts not working one afternoon. The bed was for the most part comfortable and spacious but the TV had only one UK channel which did not work (BBC World). Our breakfast was included with the room rate and was buffet style with hot food being scrambled eggs and bacon accompanied by cereals and a selection of bread, rolls, croissants, yoghurts and juices. There was a menu on the table that included scrambled eggs and bacon so we presumed - wrongly as it turned out - that porridge which was not on the self service bar, was also included. We were wrong and at a price of Eur13 per portion was in my view extortionate. I did complain about this and the hotel agreed to refund the charge. The main highlight of our stay was the Spa which was quiet when we were there and included complementary pool, Turkish bath and sauna. The treatments were expensive though probably not out of line with a five star hotel. That said we didn't see anyone having one when were there. Overall I would not rate the Palazzo Montemartini as a five star hotel - service in the restaurant was not attentive enough (our table was not cleared until we had finished our breakfast so became quite cluttered) and when I sat down on the first morning there was a rotten piece of fruit that was being used as part of a table decoration - I raised this with the waiter and he apologised and removed it. I would be prepared to try the hotel again when they have ironed out some of the initial issues, however I do think some of the practicalities such as the issue with the basin and the lighting may not be addressed.

Room Tip: The traffic noise is quite intrusive despite the double glazing because the hotel is on a busy squar...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
8  Thank simezzz
Reviewed 28 October 2013

just back from a three day break in rome. Hotel fabulous. Beautiful, spacious rooms, fantastic bar, very personal attention and extremely helpful staff. Cocktails served with a delicious range of nibbles! thoroughly recommend a stay in this wonderful hotel! Only downside was that we didn't have time to enjoy an afternoon in the Spa where the treatments looked fabulous!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Liz Y
Reviewed 21 October 2013

we just got back from a week vacation in Rome- couple with a baby and a five year old boy! the staff was charming.. very kind and helpful. spacious rooms the location is ok if you are staying for a week. if you are planning a short stay then it is about 20 min walk to the city centre. the metro is across the road but we did not use it since we love walking!
the only complaint is for the high rates for the room service and mini bar and they also charged us for hot water we asked for in order to prepare the baby milk!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Noor F
Reviewed 3 October 2013

Very good new hotel, everything is new, clean and charming. I was there 2 days for business with some colleagues. I know there is also a SPA that I had no time to use, but my friends did and they say it was very good. Breakfast is good (fabolous cappuccino) and is served in the restaurant area where the atmosphere is very charming. We originally booked superior rooms but I am sure they upgraded us in something better : my room was spacious, furnitures modern, big big comfortable bed and nice view.
I understand they are at the beginning so there is still something that has to be improved (to call the reception you dial 802 or 812 i don't remember, instead of 9 like in the hotels all over the world), but are just small things that, once changed, will do of this hotel the best luxury place to stay in Rome.

Room Tip: Room facing Piazza dei CInquecento have the most amazing view
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business