“Beautiful!”

Hotel dei Borgia
Ranked #153 of 1,290 Hotels in Rome
“Beautiful!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights. My experience was great. Staff are extremely helpful, professional and hospitable. Rooms are beautifully furnished and very clean. Breakfast was good with varieties and good service. The location of the hotel is just perfect as it's only a walking distance from many touristic areas and streets. The rates of the hotel are fair too. Overall I greatly recommend this hotel

Room Tip: Go for junior suite!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Tima07

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

Stayed between July 4-7. Hotel itself is very nice, luxurious looking. Breakfast is not too bad. Within easy walking distance to metro station, shopping, Colosseum, etc. On the whole, it's a good hotel in a good spot.

Without going into a huge story, 2 days before we are scheduled to leave, I arrive back to my room from shopping with my girlfriend to discover my DSLR camera, her tablet, and my watch have all been stolen. These items had been hidden within luggage, as not all items would fit in the safe together. The hotel staff present in the evening (a fairly larger gentleman, and a younger one) were about as incompetent, and quick to dismiss staff being responsible as possible. Further to this, adding that the doors, which are locked/unlocked via a key-card, actually have a vulnerability where they may be opened without one. Management was called, and was somewhat helpful (the language barrier didn't help this situation, but that's not something to dwell on, since I am the tourist here) in reaching a settlement to have my items reimbursed. Yes, you might say the safe is there for this reason, but to you I say no, it is in fact not.

The safe exists to protect valuables and travel documents from being lost or pickpocketed outside the hotel/in the city...not to protect myself from shady bellhops who can't keep to themselves.

We have high certainty to believe it was one(or more) staff members from inside the hotel, as in the same night an elderly couple had their cell phone and camera taken as well. They continually suggested it was someone on the outside, however with being on the fifth floor...I highly doubt that...let alone picking our specific room.

In the end, a 10 day tour of Italy ruined, and my image of Rome tarnished for good...which is a damn shame, since there are many beautiful sights to see, and the hotel itself is actually very nice.

Long story short, recommend the hotel for sure, but take extreme caution on your valuables, and try to keep them on you if you can.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
12 Thank CDN106
fremont, ca
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

The hotel location is great and it is also a new facility. It looks clean and neat inside as well. Our room was spacious (by European standards) and the bed was clean and nice. The fabric wall covering made it look really luxurious inside. It is about 10 minute by walk from the Colosseum and Forum area. Also, less than 10 minutes by walk to the Repubblica metro station. We had requested for packed breakfast and it was deliverd on time at 6:30 AM as requested and it was all good. One quick nitpick about the bathroom in the hotel room. The bathtub is designed in such a way that the only way you could take a shower was by sitting in the bathtub! If you stood up to take a shower, water would splash all over the floor! We found this inconvenient! Now for the bad parts of our experience..

Check-n: We arrived around 12:30 in the afternnon and were prepared to be told to wait a few minutes as the normal checkin time was 2 PM. The front desk guy was helping a young French couple with directions and other things (place to eat etc.,) while we waited. After sending them off with lots of smiles and friendly byes, instead of smiling or nodding towards us, he just turned to some of his co-workers and started to talk with them (basically shooting the breeze) in rapid Italian which I could make nothing much off. After about 2 minutes of being ignored, (being tired and all) I edged myself to the front of the desk with my reservation confirmation in hand and passport etc., handy as well. He took it acknowledged my presence and then said that even though the checkin was at 2 PM the room was ready.Which made us glad. Next, he looked closely at our reservation confirmation and asked for a voucher. We had booked through an external agency (not directly with the hotel) and apparently they had to send a voucher according to him. Since we had done all this on-line, he asked us to show him and forward the original email. We whipped out smart phones out got on the internet (they have free wifi there) and I showed that the original email did not have any voucher. But he insisted that he needed that to check us in. So my wife called up the agency, whcih thankfully had a 24/7 support and after waiting for a few minutes got a live operator. The person at the other end was as confused as us when we asked about the voucher. She said it is completely paid for and you do not need anything more than the confirmation number and said she would talk to the front desk guy. We gave him the phone and asked him to talk with the person on the phone. He seemed to get irritated and loudly made the same demand about the needing a voucher to the person on the phone. He was not at all interested in hearing to what the person on the phone had to say and complained, I cannot hear you. Can you speak louder. This sounded bizarre, as my wife was able to perfectly hear the person on the phone. After a few minutes of this futile conversation he handed the phone back to us and said that the person there is not understanding what he is asking for! So we asked if there was a manager we could talk to. To that he said he is the manager for that facility! Which sounded really wierd. I could not believe a good swanky looking hotel like that having him as a manager on duty.
At this point the agency person on phone said she felt sorry for our experience and said she was willing to refund our money if they did not honor this reservation. So, tired and all I just handed him my credit card asked him to bill the room rent to that. We just wanted our room!
Suddenly his tone said. He said I never said that you could not check in. This is something I will resolve on my own. I don't need your CC. You can go ahead and take your room. Then why was all this circus done? We were unduly stressed for about 30 minutes. In the mean time he had already helped two other customers without any issues!
I do not know if he chose us to give us a hard time intentionally, or he was just an ignoramus who did not know how to check us in, but the whole experience left us with a bad taste.
Later in the evening we found a different person at the front desk and she was quite friendly and provided all the help we wanted for packed breakfast etc,. Given the horrible check in experience, I would not go back there nor would I recommend this hotel for someone else to stay at.

Room Tip: Unless they change their stand-offish and borderline rude front desk folks, it is just not worth goi...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank sakraghu
Haifa, Israel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014

Stayed for 4 nights in June and have nothing but good things to say about this hotel.
The location is ideal, 10-15 minutes walk from all of Rome's main attractions like the Coliseum, the Pantheon, Trevi as well as Termini train station.
The hotel looks brand new with everything sparkling clean and fully functional.
The room was very spacious and similarly the bathroom which is pretty rare in my experience. The hotel is very quiet and I loved the window blinds which made the room completely dark - much more so than the usual curtains.

Breakfast was plentiful and the staff extremely friendly.

Overall this hotel exceeded my expectations and proved excellent value for money.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank eran4s
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

We started a tour of Italy at dei Borgia and it is not until you have been elsewhere you realise that this is one of the better ones. Friendly staff and quite a good breakfast for those that like something more than a pastry. Room size is small but in keeping with what you get in an ancient town.This hotel is close to all the best in Rome and wish that when we came back to Rome after our tour we had come back here rather than trying somewhere else at a different location. Recommended

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Cr0ws1
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

Situated in a quiet one way street complete with cobblestones is this beautiful hotel, just as you see it on the internet (unusual). Lovely service, good food, very friendly, good people, spacious bathroom (also unusual), air conditioning which works and soft beds, would recommend.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Brenda186605
Calgary
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

Comfortable, well located hotel - close to shopping, restaurants and really very walkable to most of the key sites in Rome (we don't mind a good walk). Breakfast was decent, with good selection and long hours to suit everyone. Single beds were comfortable, shower good - safe and mini- fridge in room, what more do you need? Great restaurant recommendation from front desk - they didn't hesitate to help with reservations. Love the elevator chime - had us singing a tune!! :)

Stayed June 2014