“A 3* + hotel run by a lovely family in a central location”

Hotel Gea di Vulcano
Ranked #325 of 1,257 Hotels in Rome
Worthing, United Kingdom
“A 3* + hotel run by a lovely family in a central location”
Reviewed 19 June 2014

We stayed at the Gea di Vulcano in early June. First to note, we chose this hotel because of the high ratings by fellow 'Trippers' and they were, as usual, right. Run by Alessandro and her family, for whom nothing was too much trouble, they gave us a warm welcome and looked after us through our stay. Second to note, we wasted 14 euros on a taxi from the Termini, when a 10 minute walk would have found us outside the impossing ornate wooden doors that takes you to the inner court yard and the hotel entrance. Just buzz and the security gate will open and a lift to the 1st floor leads to the reception. We stayed in room 32, which included a large bedroom, king size bed, which can be 2 singles, plenty of hanging and storage and the coffee/tea making facilities. The bathroom was also huge with a great shower, bidet and the usual offices. The room was above a side street and for the 1st night the noise was difficult to block out even with the double glazing. Yet 2nd night on somehow it all seemed less noisy and from then we enjoyed 4 goodnight sleeps. Rome was very warm and we quickly followed Roman tradition and enjoyed the cool air conditioning for the hottest hours of the day and stayed out late in the cooler air. Rome is teeming with life late into the night, so no loss. In terms of location, set in the Via Nazionale, all Rome is before you. Whether you walk or take the buses just outside the hotel, or the metro just above the hotel, you will get to all the tourist spots in quick time. We say 3* plus because of the care of the family and their staff and the elegance of the building and the large room we were given. I believe other rooms are similar and some at a premium were more luxurious than ours. We have visited Rome 5 times now. Next time we will stay here again. At our budget and at this quality its a no brainer.

Room Tip: We had a side street room and yes the traffic was a little noisy to around midnight. There are inner...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TOMS737

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Dartford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This hotel is located a ten minute easy to find walk from Roma termini and ten minutes from things to see and do. The Colosseum is a 15 minute walk and a handy map is provided. This hotel makes a great base to see Rome with shops and good restaurants also on your doorstep.
The welcome is friendly and I was shown to my room which was clean, tidy and all I needed. A good powerful shower, extra pillows and a small kettle with coffee and tea. TV with sky and free WiFi was added bonus.
Really recommend this hotel, I'd come back for sure.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank beckyboo78
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 3 April 2014

We were arriving by train at Stazione Centrale (the main Train Station -Termini) and so I wanted to be able to find a place nearby that was reasonable, safe, quiet, and close to transportation. Hotel Gea came up in my search criteria and proved to be a wonderful choice. The staff were wonderful, our room was very clean and the breakfast (included) was good. I was concerned about the location of the hotel on a main super busy street, but had requested a quiet room. As it turned out, the hotel is set back from the street down a passageway. By the way, we walked by the two giant wooden doors that are the entrance to the hotel before we realized we might have missed it. The hotel is located upstairs and you can use a small elevator to get your bags up to the room.
Just as an aside, in the passageway, there is an old woman who is in charge of rules for the passageway and must get no satisfaction out of life except from enforcing some rules for the passageway. She only speaks Italian, but we speak Italian, so there was no excuse for problems in communication. She is outrageous in her demanding tone and telling you to keep moving, if you stop to look around. She does not allow you to wait there. I complained to the hotel about her and found that she has no association with the hotel, but apparently works for the building owner. Maybe she is the building owner's mother as there is no way someone like her should be allowed to stay in a public position. So she is either the building ownder's mother or she knows something on him!. As an example, after we had checked out and were about to walk out the front doors onto the street, my wife decided she wanted to make one more trip to a high fashion dress shop just down the street. I had already been with her once and we had our luggage, so I suggested I just wait for her with the luggage so she could more quickly go and find a souvenir gift. It was warm outside so I decided to just stand to the side of the hallway, close to the outside doors so I wouldn't be in anybody's way, but wouldn't have to stand out on the street. The old woman told me to go outside, that I wasn't allowed to wait inside. I told her In Italian that my wife had just run down to a store to pick up another item and would be back in probably 15 minutes. She wouldn't allow it and kept berating me and complaining about the rules and that I had to go outside. I argued that I would be in the way outside on the sidewalk with the luggage and that it was hot. She didn't care and insisted that I get out of the hallway and do it immediately. I'm only putting this in here as the hotel is wonderful and I don't want you to be surprised by the little shrew. My recommendation is to just be prepared if you hear her fussing and act like you're dealing with an idiot which I think she probably is. At any rate, just get by her and enjoy the hotel!

Room Tip: One of the best locations in town. Excellent hotel staff-- just wonderful!
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Gary1836
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 March 2014 via mobile

This small hotel is centrally located for most of the sights of Rome, and close enough to Termini to walk with your bags and the road the hotel is on has loads of buses. This doesn't mean the hotel is noisy though - it is set back enough not to be interrupted by street noise. The staff are friendly and helpful and the room we had was spotless. This isn't a 5 star hotel though - so don't expect 5 star facilities. The room is large enough but quite basic, ditto the breakfast, (and I think we found perhaps the one place in Italy that doesn't serve good coffee!). Otherwise breakfast adequate. There is a tiny lift which will take one person with their case as this is and old building not overly modernised.

Value for money? Yes, by Roman standards. Would I come back? I did. There are posher hotels, sure, but this is a secure, friendly, clean, well located hotel and you could do a lot worse.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ReHo
Manama, Bahrain
Reviewed 11 February 2014

My family and I recently stayed here. The staff is fantastic! From the front desk (Alessandra and stefano) to the wonderful lady who serves an awesome breakfast! We stayed in a quad room which consisted of two rooms a living room and a bathroom. Everything is fantastic, the rooms aren't five stars, but why do you need that if you are there to see the city, eat the wonderful food, not hang in your room. This is not to downplay the niceness of the rooms, they are well beyond adequate. The hotel is family run, and does a fantastic job of helping guests feel at home. They take the time to make sure you have directions to your next destination, etc.... It is centrally located (5 minute walk from the main train station), and a 3 minute walk to the subway. All in all this a great place for couples, families, or just that adventurer running around Rome....

Room Tip: If you have kids...ask for a quad room.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank James A
Varese, Italy
Reviewed 30 December 2013

I have stayed here several times. The hotel is super clean, staff is exceptional, quality breakfast, nice rooms. considering the price I payed, the value is exceptional. location is unbeatable. will be back!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ettore D
Singapore
Reviewed 17 December 2013 via mobile

We stayed here as a family in their quad rooms for 4 nights in Mid Dec. The room was clean with hot showers. We were out by 9am and back at 7pm, sightseeing. No major complaints, some road noise. The reception and breakfast servers were friendly. Simple breakfast provided and if you are looking for more, can partake from the surrounding cafés or Macdonalds. Location excellent.

Stayed December 2013