“Hard to find but worth the search”
Review of Domus Carmelitana

Domus Carmelitana
Ranked #455 of 1,261 Hotels in Rome
Solihull, England, United Kingdom
“Hard to find but worth the search”
Reviewed 18 September 2013

You will find this excellent hotel just a five minute walk from the Vatican city and Castel S Angelo.
Tucked away in a back street of no significance, it doesn't even have a sign on the wall but it's discreetly interwoven onto the gate. Once registered in the vaulted reception/bar you will be shown to your rather plain en suite room, (equipped with rather narrow beds in my room). there is a safe in the wardrobe and more than adequate air-con. The rooms are comfortable and clean. The food is of excellent standard and the service is very good. All in all a most enjoyable stay. Would I recommend this Hotel? Yes. Would I go back? Yes.

Room Tip: All the rooms are similar, either facing the street or the courtyard. No Problems with either.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank FrancKelly

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Milano
Reviewed 17 September 2013

I appreciated the service and accommodation for a couple of nights at Domus Carmelitana. Taking the elevator (or more correctly named - "Time machine") to the third floor remembered me about my first mentors wise advice: There is no elevator to success - just a stair. I tried to take a shortcut and got into the elevator with my heavy luggage but realized quick that this elevator was not constructed for moving people up but to give you an opportunity to think about your life, read a book or why not even write one. 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12-13-14-15 seconds and we just reached the first floor. Another 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12-13-14-15 and we passed the second. Finally 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12-13-14-15 and I had already forgot what room number I had and had to check my key before exiting the time machine. Life is short and after using this elevator it got even shorter. Take the stairs and get more time for visiting Rome :)

Hitting the bed was awesome. Unfortunately I almost touched the ground when I jumped into it - might be a combination for all the Italian food I ate and the hammock to bed they offered...

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank andrea_in_viaggo
Reviewed 28 July 2013 via mobile

My pregnant wife and I recently ended our Italy trip with a few days in Rome. We were initially excited about our stay here because the location was so close to the Vatican. While the location was nice, not much else was. It started with our arrival. We asked the front desk a simple question about how much a taxi ride from the train station to the hotel should cost because we feared we were duped by our driver. The gentleman at the front desk was not sure. Weird that such a common ride confused him. We then asked for a quick local place to grab a bite to eat and while he did point us to a street with many options he did not suggest a single place by name. Very odd.

The next afternoon while prepping for our booked tour at the Vatican, we discovered ants amongst our luggage. Turns out they came from the day bed in our room which we placed our luggage on. When we called the front desk they quickly came up and said they would take care of it. We left for our tour and didnt see any ants that evening but did the next morning. The staff didnt apologize or ask about it any further to see if we were still having a problem.

The worst of it all involves the air conditioning. They reset it each night at 12:00. The first night we called down and they reset it within 10 mins. The last night we called after 30 mins of it being off. The temp outside was over 85 degrees and when we asked the issue they explained they don't know which rooms go off because it is not near the front desk. Very odd and extremely ridiculous.

At no point did any staff member ask how our stay was or if there was anything they could do to make our stay better. I would not suggest staying at this hotel and would seek something better when booking in Rome.

• Stayed July 2013
4 Thank StrongTravel
Welland
Reviewed 17 June 2013

Great location and peaceful, clean property. Helpful and friendly staff. A real refuge from the noise and filth of Rome. Facilities are basic but functional - perfect for pilgrimages. Great rooftop view. Small issue with guests slamming doors rather than closing them, but since everyone seems to retire early here, wasn't a big deal.

If arriving at Fiumicino, forget about going to Termini if you stay here. Take the SIT bus that goes to Vatican City and Termini - it will drop you off at Piazza Cavour (actually the corner of Via Oratzio and Via Crescenzio). Only about 300 metres from the hotel so a very easy walk. Otherwise you have to go all the way to the rail station, take a very crowded #40 bus from Termini to Piazza Pia, and you still have about 250 m to walk to get to the hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Professor04
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed 5 June 2013

After moving last minute from a B&B due to bed bugs, this hotel was a very nice change. My wife and two friends were here from March 21-25 2013. Our room was clean and simple, 4 twin beds, tile floor, and clean bathroom. There wasn't much to the rooms or the hotel, but its location can't be beat. It is a 3 minute walk to Castel St. Angelo, and a 7 minute walk to the Vatican. Cab to the Colloseum is 10 euros and its a 25 minute walk to Trevi Fountain or Campo Di Fiorno. The rooftop terrace has beautiful views of the city including the dome of St. Peters.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 18 May 2013

My husband and I stayed here for two nights last week. The staff was terrific, overall. The breakfast was delicious. The hotel is very clean. In addition, we had a lovely view. That was great.
Unfortunately, our room (on the third floor) smelled like a sewer. We were so tired from traveling when we got there and had limited time to explore Rome, so we just put up with the stench (instead of going through the hassle of switching rooms). We had two single beds and they were extremely narrow (smaller than normal twin beds). We both slept poorly because when we would turn, we would have to stop ourselves from falling off the beds. (And I'm rather small/narrow.) The shower was narrow, which I didn't mind, but it was challenging for my husband (who is larger than I am -- 6'1" and 190 lbs) to turn around in it. (Be forewarned that the towels are very thin -- more like cloth napkins than towels. I didn't mind that, but it's still not great).
If you're a physically small person, who is no frills-oriented and wants a clean place near the Vatican, then this place will work for you (as long as all the rooms don't reek -- which I doubt they do).

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank T M
Massimiliano G, Manager at Domus Carmelitana, responded to this review, 3 June 2013
Dear customer,

Thank you for your review, we always appreciate feedback from our guests and we are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Domus Carmelitana.

We are sorry about the smell in your room, we had a problem with the air conditioning system in 3 of our rooms when we switched it from the winter to the summer settings, but we resolved the problem shortly after your departure. However, if Reception had been informed of the problem, they would have solved it much sooner.

Regarding the size of the beds, the mattresses are Italian standard size, the size you find in every Italian shop: 160x190 for a double size and 80x190 for a single size.

We are really sorry you didn’t like our towels, we are really very proud of them: really big, 100% cotton honeycomb towels, which are not as thick as terry towels, but they are eco friendly and dry you a lot quicker. Many customers ask us where they can buy them, as they would like to purchase some to take home with them, so we know they are popular with our guests.

The shower in your room, room 309, is one of the smallest we have, but it is still regular size. The room on the other hand is a very large room in a really quiet position.

We hope to have you as our guest again and send you our best regards,

The Management,
Bettina
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 25 April 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here last week for 6 nights , the Domus is impecibbly clean , the staff are really friendly and keen to assist , breakfast was included .
The Domus is located a short walk from the Vatican , Castel Sante Angelo , the Vatican and the Tiber . There are numerous restaurants and excellent shopping nearby . Whilst the accommodation is a little Spartan all in all I would give this establishment a quality tick .

Stayed April 2013