“I won't go back. I went to Rome & The...”
Review of Domus Carmelitana

Domus Carmelitana
Ranked #492 of 1,273 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 4 April 2010

I won't go back. I went to Rome & The Vatican with my family in the holy week.
If you have come to Rome, you know that, in general, service standards for corresponding fees are far away of other cities and countries in general, but this one, is far below that parameter. I had issues with breakfast and frontdesk personnel regarding silly things but having really bad moments.
The hotel is close to the Vatican and normal-clean standard ...and that's it.
I am sure you can go to better options for the same price range.

4  Thank Rilvo

Reviewed 4 May 2009

It is a simple hotel, but with great service, good food and wonderful location - all the major sites withing walking distance. I have stayed there 3 time already, and am looking forward to the next one.

• Stayed: April 2009
2  Thank TravellerCT
Reviewed 23 February 2009

We stayed at the Domus for four nights in February 2009 as part of an organised tour from our local church run by the specialists Vapour Trails Direct.

The location of the Domus is very good. A maximum of ten minutes gentle walk to the Vatican. It was also around ten minutes walk to the Metro.

We stayed in a quad room. The room itself was basic but fine. Very clean with satellite TV and good sized bathroom.

We ate breakfast each morning and this was very good. A selection of breads, croissants, fruit, yogurt, fruit juices, meats, cheese and tea and coffee. This was always a good start to the day.
We also ate in the restaurant each evening. A set four course menu was provided, which was not to everyones taste. There are plentiful restaurants within easy walking distance.

The staff are friendly and the bar an enjoyable place for a coffee and cake during the day, and to sip wine with friends during the evening.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Domus, and I hope we can visit again one day.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank DJLGB
Reviewed 26 September 2008

We selected this property for its reasonable charges, but we would have preferred a little less austere accommodations. It is not easy to find reasonably priced rooms in Rome, and after searching online and reading reviews, we picked Domus Carmelitana based on reports that it was clean and modern.

Our room was clean but stark. The first thing to strike us when we got to our room was the sight of two very low twin cots on the tile foor. While the beds were comfortable, their height gave the appearance of a doll house. The bathroom was extremely small, and the very tiny cubicle that served as a shower had a slippery plastic drain board on the floor, which caused me to nearly lose my balance every time I showered.

The included breakfast was very nice.

Location is very convenient to walking to the Vatican (about 6 blocks) and there are nearby bus stops to take you to other parts of the city.

Front desk staff was very helpful and gave good advice about using the busses.

There are a large number of restaurants nearby between the hotel and the Vatican that are less than a 5 minute walk.

• Stayed: September 2008
1  Thank brucegary
Reviewed 5 August 2008

Technically a religious house, rather than a conventional hotel per se.

Very close to the Castel St. Angelo and a short walk to the Vatican.

Beds were very narrow but quite comfortable.

Rooms were clean and a/c worked well. Modern bathroom fixtures. Shower is American style with fixed showerhead, but stall is very tight.

Rooms have very high ceilings.

May have road noise if on side of building next to busy street. Our room was on other side and was very quiet.

Wonderful european style continental breakfast, but with American coffee and orange juice. I actually miss having prosciutti and cheese on bread for breakfast now!

Staff was wonderful and helpful. Not all spoke good English, but they always did the best they could!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled on business
2  Thank jgulecas
Reviewed 9 May 2008

When I was making plans for my trip to Rome with my son (9), I chose Domus Carmelitana mainly for it's excellent central location, less than 10 minutes from St Peter's. I was pleasently surprised when discovered that children pay only 50% of the price - a rare offer in Rome! I certainly recommend it to families with children.
Domus Carmelitana is listed as a catholic guest house, but it is really a very cozy hotel, with moderate, but comfortable and modern rooms and a magnificent roof garden, where it seems that you can touch the dome of St. Peters cathedral with one hand, and Castel Sant'Angelo with the other. We also loved the view from our room - seeing Castel Sant'Angelo from our beds made us really feel in Rome. Breakfast was very copious and fresh and very tastefully presented. My son liked the satellite TV in the room and internet in the lobby. I liked the chapel. For people coming by car there is a lot of parking space in a private yard, and for all of us, impatient to explore the eternal city, there is a terminus stop of a very useful express bus line right around the corner. (It also gets you directly to the Termini Station in just 15 minutes or so).
We will always remember our stay in Domus Carmelitana. It made our stay in Rome even more memorable. ... And it also taught my son (who loves ancient Rome and Romans) once and for all, that the Latin word "domus" is one of the very few nouns ending in -us that are not masculine but feminine; therefore, not "Domus Carmelitanus", but "Domus Carmelitana"!

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
6  Thank nikica
Reviewed 27 April 2008

We stayed in Domus Carmelitana for 2 nights with my boyfrend and it was great! Super super clean, nice receptionist, good breakfast, and very centrally located. You can actually walk from it nearly anywere (specially Vatican, but also Piazza Navona, etc.). I would definately come back! Plus, the area is very very quiet.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple