“Do not stay here if you don't speak Italian!” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel 2000 Roma

Hotel 2000 Roma
Ranked #762 of 1,292 Hotels in Rome
St. Louis, MO
“Do not stay here if you don't speak Italian!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2009

I have stayed in dumpy hotels around the world, and in general, I do not have particularly picky standards. However, much of the criticism left by other people is spot on about this hotel. The hotel is permeated with cigarette smoke and if you have allergies, your stay could very well be miserable. Regardless of what the hotel manager said, the smoke was clearly coming through the window of my room from his smoking down below. The other reviewers' reports of thefts are of great concern to me; I kept my stuff locked up tight so didn't have any problems with that.

The biggest problem is that the staff does not speak English, leaving you wondering what the heck they are thinking. Likewise, the main manager is not very responsive and if there had been a problem, I don't know what I would have done. Trust me, I understand it is Italy and they can speak whatever language they want in their country, but they shouldn't advertise English speaking staff when they don't. If you are fluent in Italian, allowing you to communicate with the staff and don't mind cigarette smoke--which fills the hotel, then this is the place for you.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank kermit_the_frog1978

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Turkish first
Ormskirk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2008

Well equipped clean bedrooms, with air con, in an excellent location right in the centre of Rome within easy walking distance of the main rail terminal and tourist attractions, such as Trevi Fountains and Spanish Steps. Access is unusual as reception is only apparent after entering an outer doorway with intercom. On the whole a very acceptable base for central Rome and was suprisingly quiet. A limited choice breakfast is served in the room only , but there is plenty of choice in the vicinity for a more substantial breakfast if required.

• Liked — Central location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
new hampshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2008

This was a nice little family run hotel. It is 2 1/2 stars, but we found it to be similar in features to most 3 star places with the exception of services ... ie - they won't book reservations to museums or dinner, etc. However, if you don't mind doing that stuff on your own, it was a nice clean hotel in a good location for a reasonable price.

Continental breakfast was included. I typically had a pastry with a coffee, and my wife typically had tea and cereal. Be sure to ask for milk if you want it as it is separate. The maid/breakfast girl was very nice, and both the older gentleman and his son who run the hotel were great.

Not far from train station, and at the outer edge of the old section of town with most major attractions. It is on top of a hill, so you will have to walk down every morning and walk back up after dinner every night ... not great for popping back into the room at mid-day. However, it is only a couple of blocks from the piazza with the triton fountain where major bus lines to the center of town, and the vatican run, as well as the subway which goes to the colosseum and elsewhere.

No elevator as the hotel is in a historic building, but they do offer to bring your bags up and down. Not a huge room, but not atypical for urban hotels. Desk, windows, bed, spacious armoir for hanging clothes, and drawers for storing smaller things. 1 suitcase stand. Spacious bathroom with bidet and whirlpool tub. We only used the tub to soak our feet after walking around rome. Shower was fine. No shower curtain, but it worked out ok as tub was pretty wide.

A little hard to find. Basic directions get you close, but there is no sign, just a button on the call box with the logo of the hotel. If you have your back to the train station, and pass San Carlo al Quattro Fontana (the church at the four fountains) start looking on the right side of the street. If you get to palazzo barberini (art museum) you have gone too far.

• Liked — Location, Price, Cleanliness
  • Disliked — Lack of service availability (ie - reservations), comfort amenitites
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank superrob
Boston
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2008

My ipod was stolen from my room. I now notice this is the third review in a row which is reporting a robbery. Maybe there is a new maid, maybe the owner is going through tough time and decided to help himself to visitors' stuff, but the fact is: if you stay in this hotel, there is a very high probability that you will be robbed.

Stayed March 2008
3 Thank kirpich99

Travellers are raving about these Rome hotels

Delft
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2008

I was staying in this hotel for 4 days last summer with my friend. It was a bit of a problem to find the place since it was not clearly marked. The biggest horror was that we were robbed in our hotel room. Luckily, only some of our clothes were taken. I saw another comment about the robbery from sugarcube1 where much more valuable stuff were missing. Like in the experience of sugarcube1, the guy at the desk (Fernando) was highly suspicious. When we told him what happened he suddenly started not to speak English, when my friend wanted to call the embassy and the police he was also trying to stop that ...

Another thing which was annoying (but nothing compared to being robbed) was that we were told that the receptionist is there 24h per day, but when we came to the hotel one evening around 1am we were left outside to ring for almost 1 hour! Finally, obviously just got out of the bed, Fernando appeared not looking very friendly at us.

For the rest it was ok... the room was nice, the location is nice.... But nothing can be good enough knowing that there is a big risk to be robbed there. And as I see here in the reviews, we are not the only one.

Stayed August 2007
3 Thank DanijelaDelft
Toronto
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2008

Most horrible experience ever. Prepaid through Expedia.ca for 3 nights 4 day stay, for a family of 4 people. By the second night, I realised that my jewellery, wallet (with $300US, debit and student card), and camera were stolen. According to the front desk attendant (Fernando), the only person who accesses the rooms was the cleaning lady, Tatianna. Up until that night, I had everything with me, but that second night my packback was ransacked, as well as my luggage, with those three items wrongfully taken from me.

To add insult to injury, when we told Fernando what happened, he told us to keep it down, not wanting the other guests to find out about our crisis. For some time he also refused to hand us the phonebook (to read about how to make international calls).

Fernando was listening to personal phone calls made in our room because there was a lot of feedback while we were talking to the authorities and the Embassy.

When we returned to the reception desk, Fernando asked us to provide our home address as well as the location of where my family would be staying the last two days we were in Rome (because obviously we didn't want to stay in their hotel any longer). Fernando told us he would send my family a package with all the missing items to our new hotel. These lies continued (when I phoned him to ask and check up on our items). He kept changing the return date. As of today, I have not received anything from him or the hotel.

Do not stay in this hotel, you are asking to be robbed!

• Liked — n/a
  • Disliked — Being Robbed
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled with family
8 Thank sugarcube1
Washington DC
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2007

In a ten-day trip from Barcelona to Paris to Geneva to Florence to Rome, we paid the most for this horrible hotel. We booked the room for two people, as that is how many we originally were supposed to have, but due to a change in plans had three people. This was the first and only place ever to give us a hard time. We ever inquired if we could pay extra to be moved to a triple (on top of 180USD per night) but they had no availability. What, then, did they have to gain from freaking out? The guy at the desk was so rude he made my sister cry ("YOU SLEEP THREE PEOPLE, BIG TROUBLE") and upon check-out, demanded an extra 40USD from my father. My father capitulated because the guy was such a jerk and so insistent, bringing the grand totel for this ridiculous hotel to 220USD. Were this the last hotel in Rome and I already had a plane ticket, I would not stay here again.

While the rooms were okay (ours was at least clean though tiny by European standards), the set-up of the hotel was bizarre. It is situated in a larger complex, such that there are not even signs or markings of the hotel on the outside. The only indication was its name printed on one of the buzzers for entrance. Also, our room overlooked a parking lot and, as I recall, a garage or covered parking, so street noise was at times a problem. And this last thing is a minor issue but a nuisance at the time: the phone ringing actually sounded like a fire alarm, both in decibel level and tone. When the front desk called to tell us the cab was there, I thought the hotel was burning down.

• Stayed November 2007