“Very disappointing experience”
Review of Hotel Serena

Hotel Serena
Ranked #391 of 1,271 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 19 July 2014

I spent a total of 3 nights at this hotel while travelling in Italy with my sisters and our daughters. The hotel is conveniently located close to the train station, but the area is sleazy, the hotel staff rude and unhelpful and the single bedrooms tiny, uncomfortable and scruffy. I had booked a double room several months before our arrival so I could spend some quality time with my daughter who lives in England. We rarely see each other so I was upset when told we had been given single rooms on different floors instead of the double. The manager refused to speak to me and the staff made derogatory remarks about me wanting to share with my daughter. Both rooms had an unpleasant odor, one had no curtains and the cupboard doors in my room had broken hinges. The phone was on a small shelf above the bed (watch your head), and the telephone cord ran across the pillow. Breakfast was adequate, but the items weren't fresh.
We also stayed in a 3 star hotel in Florence. The service, cleanliness and rooms were far superior to the Serena.

Room Tip: Requests for a specific room type (double vs single) seem to be ignored, even when a booking is made...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank ThombiUSA

Reviewed 15 July 2014

This is the first time I have ever written a really negative review - however this was such a terrible experience I wanted to warn fellow travelers! Looking at a review from Travel_Bugger345 I can only assume that some terrible transformation has taken place since their visit!
I have traveled the world for over 30 years and can honestly say that this hotel is the worst that I have ever experienced. I was on a vacation with my sisters and our various daughters - a special time for all of us. The hotel was booked by the travel agent as she thought the location close to the Termini would be useful - what a major mistake! All the things you have heard about hotels near the railway station - from a negative perspective - were true! When the car from the airport brought us to the front of the hotel we all thought it must have been a mistake - seedy does not even begin to describe this. Ironically it was across the road from an establishment called the 'Hotel California' - those familiar with the song will understand the irony! The rooms were miniscule - just enough room for a bed and nowhere to open a suitcase other than the beds. The elevator was out of an Alfred Hitchcock movie - actually this would have been a perfect venue for a horror movie! The hotel staff were unhelpful to say the least the first night - however this was just the beginning of it! We had one night in this hotel and then travelled to Sorrento for the week-end. We returned to the hotel (despite misgivings as this was already paid for and July in Rome is not time to look for a new hotel at short notice). Our booking was for 3 double rooms - when we returned they informed us that one of our bookings had now been changed to 2 single rooms - with a move to a double room the following night. When we informed them that this was not acceptable as the rooms were confirmed and paid for as booked the person at front desk was incredibly rude - telling us we could find another hotel if we did not like it. When we asked to speak to the manager we were told that the manager was not on the premises and that she refused to speak to guests! The front desk clerk then proceeded to insult all of us in the party - quite unbelievable! This was only resolved when a second front desk person replaced him - a slight improvement.
Again we had the miniature rooms, with no working air-conditioning, limited wireless and condescending front desk attitudes for the remainder of the stay. The noise from the street was representative of the neighborhood - I will say no more here....
The only positive note is that the breakfast room was actually quite charming and the food was pleasant - as was the person serving in the breakfast room.

Room Tip: Quite frankly I cannot suggest anything to make this a more positive experience - as the expression...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Carlasroka
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Spacious room and bathroom (at least our room) but the view wasn't nice and unfortunately when we been there it were construction on the streets and we had big noise in the night,from the windows smell of food entered in the room with the windows closed, if some neighbor came to talk on the hall u can hear everything.If u find this hotel at a good price u can go .anyway is very hard in Rome to find a good hotel at a good price,the staff was nice and the cleaning was made everyday.The old elevator was very nice,we liked a lot.The breakfast could be better.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Emma T
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Terrible hotel. I traveled in Italy last week, and booked a single room for one night on 23th June in this hotel, unfortunately, my card and cash were stolen, so I emailed them to ask whether they have charged me or whether can allow me to cancel my reservation because I didn't have card nor enough cash to pay, but they didn't reply me at all, then I did not show up. After I came back to Ireland, I found they charged me 70 EURO!!! How can they do like this??!!!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Yezi2014
Reviewed 1 July 2014

So gorgeous and relaxing. The rooms are beautiful, the washrooms are clean and modern, and there is a very effective lock system on all of the doors. There is also an elevator!

The breakfast in the morning is exquisite and the service is excellent. The only downside would be the location - though it was walking distance to the major tourist areas, it's quite far. Get ready to walk. A lot. Good thing: it's very close to the train station, which is a nice way to travel to other parts of the country!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Travel_Bugger345
Reviewed 28 June 2014

I will start by saying that this hotel is a beautifully done up with neat amenities.. Clean rooms, well lit and carpetted alleys, with an old world elevator. We stayed for our honeymoon on 11th may to 14th may.. The desk manager was very kind to offer us the room, before the check in time of 1.30 pm. We were very happy with this and the staffs were actually apologetic for not getting the room arranged!! my personal appreciation for the warm behaviour. The property is well kept and the bathrooms are adequte.. The complimentary breakfast is enjoyable with good juices, yoghurts and breads.. Close to termini station, Hotel Serena is a place to come back again..

Room Tip: Rooms on the rear side is peaceful..
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 June 2014

It was nice to have a lift for my luggage but I took the stairs most of the time. Great friendly staff. Nice to be only a few minute walk from the train station. It took me a while to find it upon my arrival but great after that. Great restaurants right outside. Great shower. You need to be careful of people trying to get into your backpack or pockets in that area. Someone tried it with me. My money was around my neck so I was fine. They have breakfast included. It was nice to have a yogurt and pastry.

Room Tip: I looked at 2 rooms before agreeing to one. It was almost sold out, but I wanted to see if I had a c...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo