“Just okay”

Empire Palace Hotel
Ranked #266 of 1,271 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 13 June 2014

My husband and I just got back from our honeymoon and Empire was the 2nd stop of our 17 day honeymoon in Italy. The hotel was not really what we had expected from pictures. The room was small and VERY dingy. Terrible lighting. The location is decent. To get to Colloseum, Vatican, and Ancient Rome its definitely best to cab it. But we were able to walk to see the Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain, and Pantheon. We didn't try the restaurant (a bit pricey) but Osteria 44 right down the street was awesome! And so was the little wine bar right next door. Overall it was an average experience. Would try a different hotel if we ever travel to Rome again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Janelle S
Write a ReviewReviews (1,097)

Reviewed 10 June 2014

I stayed at the Empire Palace Hotel with an Odysseys Unlimited tour May 17-20, 2014. The room was comfortable and nice. I had problems where the airlines had lost my luggage and the staff was very accomodating and helpful. I'm not sure if the front desk person was actually a conceirge, but even if not they certainly acted like it. My single room had a twin size bed with a desk, a small refrigerator and a spacious bathroom with a shower you could actually fit in! Any time I asked for more toiletries- no problem. Breakfasts were substantial and delicious. Even though they were arranged through the tour group, I saw others selecting from the same buffet. The breakfast staff was superb, helping me make the most of my short time to grab a bite to eat before I had to meet the group. The lounge was sumptuous and the free computer there helped with researching places to buy clothes, etc. The location is good in that it is near good restaurants, a good gelateria!, and a commercial district, so I didn't have to worry about walking back by myself at night or finding a good meal nearby. It might be a little far for those who want to be closer to the Colesseum and Forum, though. The only downside during my stay was that when things settled down at night, a courtyard in the middle of the hotel opened up to most of the rooms and carried sound. Since this courtyard is where people go to have drinks, so on Saturday night it was especially noisy (I was on the 4th floor). I sleep with earplugs but it bothered some in my group. Overall though, a great experience!

Room Tip: As far as I know, there are no rooms that have a view.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank jyago
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Roma was the completion of a 12 day trip through Italy. We had an outside company help us book our hotels and when we arrived EP did not have our reservation but they quickly accommodated us by putting us in a suite (room 305) for our stay. I can say they have the best beds of all the hotels we stayed in but we could be considered spoiled Americans and very picky with our beds. While the hotel is a nice walk from all sites I welcome this because it's not in a mobbed part of town. Breakfast was as expected, the room was very clean. It is so hard to find a good hotel these days, this one is worth every penny!!!

2  Thank Pennot98
Reviewed 7 June 2014

We stayed here after a Celebrity Cruise and were very pleased with the hotel and its staff. Celebrity had a desk in the lobby and between Edda at the Celebrity desk and the hotel staff we received answers to all our questions. The room had nice amenities and was well situated for restaurants. We had arranged a private tour during our stay so we did not use public transportation or walk to the sights. Breakfast was included with the package we had booked and was very good with a nice variety of food.

1  Thank CLRD4TO
Reviewed 6 June 2014

The Empire Palace is old world charm which was a great way to begin our Italian adventure. It is a bit of a walk from the main sights but walking through Rome is the best part of this city.
The rooms were nice, although the furniture is showing its age. That, plus far-too-firm mattresses and rock-hard pillows, keep this from being a five. The breakfast was terrific and the staff here couldn't be nicer. We also enjoyed a quiet evening coping with jet lag in the courtyard off the bar.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank NLKDE
Reviewed 6 June 2014

We stayed here for two nights after our cruise, and the hotel was chosen by our cruise line.

Here are the pros: The hotel was within walking distance of restaurants and shops (though not really close to the sights), the rooms were a good size and clean, the bathrooms were a good size, the bed was comfortable, the air conditioning worked well, the staff was friendly, they had free wifi (limited to 2 devices so you'll have to get a code for anymore), the breakfast was pretty good, and there was a safe in the room.

Here are the cons: the pillows were very uncomfortable, there was no conditioner (this may be the norm), the hotel was not within walking distance of the sights, you have to hold down the button for the in room hair dryer to work (I think this is the norm in Rome), and the shower was tiny.

Over all it was a nice stay, not a place I would go back to if visiting Rome for sightseeing though.

Reviewed 31 May 2014

The staff was great, no complaints there. However, very old hotel, very hot and rooms are extremely small. Not sure how many times I shut my fingers between the bathroom door and the wardrobe door. If you want to be center of the city in an old building, this is the place to be. However, if you want more modern convenience, there are other much better hotels that are cheaper per night.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business