“Amazing pool, everything else okay”

Radisson Blu es. Hotel, Roma
Ranked #522 of 1,271 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

We enjoyed our stay at the Radisson and as we booked in advance through a third party, the value was great. However, some of the features of a five star hotel were lacking. If I had paid full price, I would have been miffed.

Positives
The pool- it's lovely and a welcome break from the Rome heat.
The room- was a good size clean.
Concierge - Roberto working on the desk was lovely and accommodating. He was the friendliest and most efficient member by far.
The cosmetics- a selection of This Works were really nice.

Negatives
The location- It's at the less salubrious end of Termini which isn't the greatest area in its own right. If you are a nervous/ solo traveller you will want to get cabs to and from the hotel.
The rooms need a bit of tlc. Coffee machine was broken, the electrics broke, the electrics from the bed didn't quite work. The toilet seat fell apart.
The service- it was very hit and miss by the pool bar. Great friendly service one evening and then we waited for over half an hour the next day after asking three members of staff. Not good enough.

Overall a good stay, perhaps just slightly sub-par from what you may expect from a 5*.

1  Thank kremlini
Write a ReviewReviews (2,258)

Reviewed 22 August 2014

We took two rooms, for four of us, very clean hotel and property. In fact one of the nicest hotels we stayed in while our 2 week stay throught Italy! However, location, is very poor, not that close to sites, as well, in the heart of Chinatown, not like the Chinatowns in the USA or Canada, this area is not very sexy! 26 euro for breakfast, they get you here, not to many nice places nearby! Hotel is very clean and safe from surrounding area, kind of reminds me of South Africa gates community, within a community.!

1  Thank Schwar
Reviewed 21 August 2014

Hotel is well located next to termini station. Well connected with all airports and landmarks.
Quite a lot of restaurants in the surrounding area. Hotel bar is located at the top floor, staff is very friendly and views just perfect. Breakfast served at the top restaurant is exquisite. Rooms - very modern so do not be surprised.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Claire_Bunny
Reviewed 20 August 2014

I had high hopes for this place, but everything let it down, from the astronomical prices at the bar, to the overpriced food.

As a regular traveller, I know what to expect from each level of hotel. What I don't expect is what I got at this place.

My room wasn't cleaned properly once, they didn't leave me soap for using after the toilet, didn't make the bed, didn't actually clean!

Worse still, I had a pair of maintenance guys let themselves in without knocking. I was naked, they laughed at me. Just disgusting. When I complained the manager laughed too and said "what do you expect me to do about it?".

I've had the safe tampered with, my sunglasses damaged and they offered me... Nothing.

Beware, this place ain't nearly as good as it pretends to be.

5  Thank Deliciouslynaughty
Reviewed 19 August 2014

We have just returned home from a weeks long stay with 2 children and 2 grandparents. On first impressions the hotel decor seemed dark and unfriendly - the rooms are very modern with open plan - this means that there is only a glass partition separating toilet and bedroom and the bath/shower is part of the bedroom.
After a week we loved the rooms- housekeeping were great and the rooms were kept spotless. Also their bathing products were beautiful and of good quality. There is a "nespresso" machine in each room so great coffee always available. Breakfast is great lots to choose from from the buffet and the staff were very happy to get us anything off menu eg. Fried eggs, omelettes etc.
The pool is on the roof and is great because in the heat of summer in Rome there is a lovely wind up there. Also the pool is beautiful and constantly maned by a life guard .
Our only negative is evening meals- food is over priced and service was poor. Staff were very nice but completely disorganised. For example - we ordered fish (which was served on its own) and also asked for a portion of French fries. All of us has eaten our meal and the chips arrived as we had decided to leave. Also asked for a coffee with milk - the coffee arrived but no milk after asking 3 times. We decided to eat out in the evenings you are spoilt for choice there are lots of really nice friendly restaurants just down the road - you'll love them.
Overall - typical big impersonal hotel but after a week we loved it. Very modern but great location and it really became "home for the week".

Room Tip: The train station I'd next door and functions late at night and early morning - so ask not to be...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank EdCoClare
Reviewed 18 August 2014

We stayed here for our last night in Italy. After a hot sweaty day sightseeing it was great to come back for a swim and some cocktails in the late afternoon sunshine. The pool area is amazing as was the dinner and breakfast. It is not in the most glamorous of locations but still an easy walk to the Colosseum/forum. Perhaps slightly biased as we received an upgrade.

Room Tip: Make sure to get one with access to the pool area.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 August 2014

I've been travelling around the last month, as I have to say this is the most disappointing hotel on my trip so far.

The room is small and bathroom is just open plan onto the room and is just annoying - there is not power in the shower and I'm having a shower under droplets of water. Very little toiletries and hours after the shower the rim of the bath tub is still wet. Very annoying.

I ordered breakfast the first morning and it was all incorrect - a plate of bacon a plate of ham coffee, croissants and orange juice - €30. Crazy

Pool area is ok but a bit crowded and sun chairs look dirty i.e. the material on them.

Just overall disappointed and paying over 200 euro per night. I would have got much better in Rome.

Room Tip: go to another hotel
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business