“return visit”

Ranked #388 of 1,291 Hotels in Rome
Brisbane, Australia
“return visit”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013

Stayed two nights in early September and one at the end of October. Very convenient small budget hotel, close to Termini and airport bus. Staff helpful and pleasant ( eg made a phone booking for another hotel later in the trip which we had been unable to do due to our lack of Italian, also helpful with allowing us to leave luggage). Breakfast was fine with fresh coffee made to order. Both times had a quiet room at the back.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Thai first
Olathe
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2013

I chose this room based solely on online reviews and was a little nervous going in. I can honestly say that I was very pleased. The hotel is clean and comfortable and an excellent value. We stayed at a hotel in Venice that was 3X the cost and of similar quality. Would stay there again and would reccomend to others.

Room Tip: There is a street market in the mornings that I imagine could be loud. I would request a room that i...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Niagara Falls, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

Great hotel that is only a few blocks to the train station. Our room appeared to be newly renovated. The staff was friendly, and breakfast was pretty good. Overall, an excellent option for great value.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Richard L
Sydney
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013

This stay.., 2 x 2nights Sept & Oct 2013

I first stayed at this hotel in Sept 2010, so when I decided to go back to Rome it was a given that I would return to this welcoming family run hotel.
Whilst planning my trip I contacted the hotel in March 2013and enquired about availability for the dates I required in Sept/ Oct , I received a prompt reply stating the dates were available and a quote for the cost per night as I had requested.
Just about 2 weeks before my trip I received an email asking if I still required accommodation for these dates.... Horror filled me... I had forgotten to confirm. I cannot thank the wonderful owners enough for contacting me, as I would have turned up, travelling alone, on the given date without another thought.
This mix up was entirely of my causing, but was sorted out promptly to everyones satisfaction. Thank you again.

I was slightly disappointed this time to get rooms, on both 2 night stays, facing internal courtyards rather than the great street view I had in 2010, but merely put this down to the confusion with the booking. I was just glad I had somewhere to stay!!

This hotel is great value and in a convenient location close to Termini station. Although the area can look a little shabby, as a mature female travelling alone I never at anytime felt unsafe, even returning to the hotel late at night after dinner across town.
Wifi is good, breakfast is very basic, but plentiful. Rooms are very clean, staff are polite and helpful at all times and are able to communicate well in English, for those of us still trying to master a second language!

I will be returning to Rome again... many times I hope, and I know where I will be staying everytime.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the Front overlooking the street, although there is a market in the street most da...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Carlsbad, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2013

I've been around Europe a time or 2 and I found this to be a great choice. The good: it's clean, safe, quiet, well located and a good value. The bad: I had trouble with wifi and hot water. Having said that, it was fine for me (not too picky) and I will certainly stay again. You can read the past reviews to figure out the specifics of location etc. One tip; as a solo traveler, they offer a single room that I did not find on the major travel sights, but only on their website, so i booked directly and saved 30Euro per night over the double room. The staff was better than average to be sure and it was literally a few blocks from Termini (3 minutes at a good clip). Try Agora restaurant across the street for a great dinner and Alice Pizza across the street for an easy, tasty and cheap pizza lunch.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Shaybly
DomusPraetoria, Manager at Hotel Domus Praetoria, responded to this review, 1 November 2013
Thank You for staying with us.
We are happy to hear You would choose our hotel again for your stay.
Can happen sometimes that signal in the rooms is not very strong, should have come to the lobby at reception for wi-fi.
I am surprised You hade some problems with hot water, I am wondering why. Shoul have report us and we would have checked to understand and solve the problem.
Sorry for any inconvenience and looking forward to welcoming You again!

Best regards,

Famiglia Menichelli
Spijkenisse, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2013

We stayed 4 nights in this hotel last september. The hotel is 3 blocks away from Termini station. Most of the main historic sites are within walking distance. The room was large, comfortabel and clean. Staff was helpful and friendly. Breakfast was simple yet sufficient (coffee was excellent!). The hotel is somewhat difficult to find at first as it is situated in an appartment building. Excellent value though.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank McDownload
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2013

This is my second stay at Hotel Domus Praetoria in Rome. A hidden gem, fantastic value, very clean rooms, and two fantastic brothers that own/operate the hotel. We were in Room 105 on the ground level this stay, a great room! We reported the first day that the TV in the room wasn't working. The same day they had a serviceman check it out, and the TV was replaced with a brand new TV the next morning. The brothers who run the hotel are very, very helpful as are the other staff in the hotel. So close to Roma Termini station too. I believe the hotel is rated as a 2 star, but I would rate it easily a 3 to 3.5 star hotel because of the helpfulness of the staff, the cleanliness of the hotel, the well appointed rooms and the excellent value for money. I would not hesitate to recommend Hotel Domus Praetoria to anyone. Excellent!
Jonathan from Sydney, Australia