“Best tour guide for families - Chiara Mataloni !”
Review of Joy of Rome Tours

Jewish District Walking Tour
Ranked #27 of 803 Tours in Rome
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: We are not only guides in Rome! We are incredibly fun, expert, super flexible and... convenient! If you are looking for a private tour or a small group tour in Rome..Don't hesitate! We are the right choice :-) Please ask us for a quote and then compare our fees with other tour operators! Also, If you are more than 4 our rates are very low since you don’t pay per person anymore, you pay a forfait that is cheaper. Do your research and you’ll see! Our groups are very small (max 8 or max 12 people) no last minute surprises! Kids up to 8 yo don’t pay (unless in kids friendly tours) Our guides are few and all qualified! We guarantee they are all highly trained, speak great english and they all have a strong Art History or Archaeology background! None of our guides in unlicensed and without blue badge! Are the other companies promising the same? Are you sure you will be leaded by a legal, official guides? So if you choose us: you save money, you’ll be in private or a small group tour for a unique experience and you’ll have the best guides. This is a what you ‘ll buy!
Jupiter, Florida
“Best tour guide for families - Chiara Mataloni !”
Reviewed 21 April 2014

My family of four just returned from an amazing weeklong trip to Rome. We have two kids aged 10 and 12. When we got home I asked the kids "what was your favorite part of Rome?" and the response was overwhelmingly "Chiara!" our tour guide. If you are a family traveling with kids, I highly recommend Chiara Mataloni. I just cannot say enough positives about her.

We saw many large tour groups everywhere we went and I am sure our kids would have hated those tours. The cost of a private tour is only a small amount more than group tour and it is worth ever penny!! The personal attention from Chiara was exceptional. She was great at adjusting the tours to our interests. If the kids looked at all disinterested, we quickly moved on before they got bored. If they were excited about what we were seeing, we stayed a few extra minutes. I was really impressed with the way she interacted with the kids and answered all their questions. She always spoke directly to them, looked them in the eye, and made them feel comfortable and part of the group. Her enthusiasm for Rome's history definitely rubbed off on them.

Chiara made everything so easy. She speaks English very well, quickly responded to all my questions and emails, and was always on time. She planned everything head of time, purchased our tickets in advance, and we never waited in any lines.

Our family spent 3 days with Chiara touring Rome. We did the Walking tour of the city, the Ancient Rome/Colosseum VIP tour, and Vatican tour. All three tours were fantastic, do not hesitate, and just do them! I recommend you start with the walking tour first and then do the others in any order. Also definitely do the VIP tour of Colosseum. You are able to go down into the underground of the Coliseum and up to the very top for a great view. Places you can only go with a tour guide.

Go to Rome and do the tours with Chiara. Trust me you will have the best time!!

Visited March 2014
JoyofRome, Proprietario at Joy of Rome Tours, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Ciao Peter!
As Joy of Rome team we are so glad you enjoyed your time with Chiara! She says she thanks you very much and she thinks the 3 days with you and the kids have been amazing and we know that you've had a lot of fun together!
Grazie mille, for real! It is when we meet people like you that we really understand this is the job we love and we want to do!!!
Francesca and Simone

Santa Fe, New Mexico
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“How to Experience the Joy of Rome!”
Reviewed 12 April 2014

My husband and I visited Rome recently with another couple and booked a 4-hour Vatican tour last Saturday with Francesca. She exudes the Joy of Rome and it is infectious! She is knowledgeable, personable, and fun to be with--and even helped us to choose local restaurants! It truly was a pleasure to spend the morning with her and tour this amazing place. We learned so much about the Vatican, art, history, culture… and had a good time doing it! We will recommend Francesca to anyone we know who is traveling to Rome.

Visited April 2014
2 Thank Karen B
JoyofRome, Proprietario at Joy of Rome Tours, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Thank you so much! Your feedback is so important to me to keep working this way with the hope of meeting people like you every day. It has been a great pleasure spending those four hours with you. Grazie!!!
Kuala Lumpur
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Journey to the past”
Reviewed 9 April 2014

Simone was not just a guide, he was a storyteller.... which made a whole world of difference to our visit to the Vatican City. My sister and I decided at the last minute to get a guide and luckily, he was available. He made every step of our journey through the Vatican City like stepping into the past. What happened, when, to whom and why. What kind of people these historical characters were eg. what kind of people Michaelangelo and Raphael were... who we would like, who we wouldn't, what were the little subtle clues in their magnificent work that revealed who they used to be. He highlighted the details that we would've otherwise missed... like how Michaelangelo portrayed the Lucifer as a woman! He even likened people in the past to immortalize themselves in statues with "modifications" , just like modern-day Photoshopping. People's egos don't change even after centuries, heh? He was funny and witty, and I think I would have liked history a lot better had my teacher been half the storyteller he is. History is collection of scandalous interesting stories akin to TV soaps!
Now I know that much more about Italian history, European history and even the history behind Christianity.
I would definitely recommend him to anyone who wants to visit the Vatican City or any historical parts of Rome!!!

Visited April 2014
Tampa, Florida
“Best way to see the Vatican”
Reviewed 7 April 2014

My wife and I took our honeymoon trip to Italy and wanted to make sure we made the most of our trip, especially at the big sights like the Vatican. Simone's tour was incredible: he's personable, speaks great English, and taught us not only about the Vatican, but about Rome and the Italian culture in general.

We passed other tour groups with 20+ people to a single guide, all wearing headsets (at one point we could hear the feedback screetching in their headphones) and we were SO glad we decided to book a private tour with Joy of Rome Tours instead of joining a large tour group.

If you're going to see the Vatican, do it the right way. No lines, no large groups, no headphones...call Joy of Rome!

Visited March 2014
Lexington, Virginia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“When in Rome.... Experience it like a Roman”
Reviewed 5 April 2014

This trip to Rome was a celebration of my husband's 60th birthday and fulfilling an item from his bucket list. I had experienced Rome in my youth and wanted my share my love for this amazing City in 5 short days. I arranged a private tour of the Vatican City on his birthday with the Joy of Rome and Laura Farina was our personal guide.

Knowingly or not, Laura Farina presented the most wonderful tour and experience of the Vatican. The knowledge that she shared with us concerning every aspect of the Vatican completely engaged us fully in the grandeur of the experience. We gracefully negotiated crowed rooms, avoided lines and always had a quite place to talk, listen, view and linger. Laura was so impressive that we still keep in touch to date.

If you are planning a trip to Rome, be sure to pre-book a private tour of the Vatican City with Joy of Rome and Laura Farina and you will experience it with a true Roman. 10 stars!!!

Visited September 2013
JoyofRome, Proprietario at Joy of Rome Tours, responded to this review, 6 April 2014
Thank you so much for your wonderful review! We are so honoured and happy to have been part of your trip and we are also very proud to have Laura in our staff. She is a great tour guide and a very sensitive person, she will be so happy to know she was part of such a memorable experience! We hope we will see you again in Rome someday! Thank you again from Joy of Rome staff!