“Reasonably priced lovely B&B”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Paba

Hotel Paba
Ranked #282 of 1,291 Hotels in Rome
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“Reasonably priced lovely B&B”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2013

This B&B offers a lot for the money. It has a great location very close to the Colleseum and Roman Forum and walkable to many of the local attractions . It is also conveniently located to the Metro foir more distant places like the Vatican. Owner Alberta is very helpful , particularly in making sure we had a reliable and fairly priced taxi to the airport . The continental breakfast is served in your room, a nice touch , every morning.. Our room was a good size and was quiet even though we were on the street side. There are a number of very good restaurants located in the neighborhood , including those largely frequented by locals. We have no hesitation in recommending Alberta's lovely little B&B.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2013

I was there from 18-20 March and enjoyed my stay. Alberta, the owner, and also the lady who personally sees to her guests, gives you that personal motherly touch. She comes by to serve breakfast, which although is simple, it's done from the heart. The only thing is that the room may need at least a spoon or stirrer for the drinks. It has a kettle and wi-fi (2Euros / 24 hours) so I think it caters well even for business travelers. Location wise, excellent. The room facing the road, yes, it's a bit noisy. Alberta has done her best by having blinds, an another glass window plus heavy drapes. I think a sound proof glass window may be better. Very clean. Thanks Alberta and I recommend this for anyone who's not looking for frills but a nice place to return back to after a day out in Rome!

Room Tip: Ask for one away from the main road if you're sensitive to sound
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank AdelMalaysia
Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2013

The pros for this hotel:
* The location could not be better, that's for sure. It’s just a few steps away from Forum Romanum and a few more steps away from the Colosseum and the Capitol Hill. And it is close to the subway if you want to go to the Vatican for example. Walking from Station Termini takes 20 minutes or so, (or take the subway).
* Well run! Everything works and the rooms are clean and tidy.
* Very comfortable beds (however the pillows were not very soft).
* The prize: 88 Euros a night for a double room in low season (late February).
* No noise apart from what we created ourselves.

During this visit to Rome we were four and occupied two rooms, room 1 and 2 that had a separate corridor with a door almost making the two room into a suite (room 1 is actually two rooms, one with a double bed and one with a single). These two rooms does not face Via Cavour, thus there is no real view from the rooms.

You ask to have the breakfast brought into the room when you wish for it. Coffee/tea/chocolate, juice, croissants and toasted bread with marmalade. A good continental breakfast, I'm not personally very keen on continental breakfasts, but that is what you get in Rome :-). It worked very well having breakfast in the room.

The actual hotel is on the second floor. There is an old elevator that appeared a bit scary. We tested it once and it worked, but we preferred to walk.

The reception is not manned after eight in the evening.

The wifi costs 2 Euros per day and it worked well.

Signora Alberta helped us print our boarding cards on the day of departure, and we got to keep one of the rooms for our luggage unit twelve o’clock.

However, this is not o five star hotel. It's a two star hotel that is very well run with an outstanding location. Much better than the ordinary three star hotel in my view. With the low season price it definitely brings great value.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2013

Tiny hotel, but quite large rooms. Ours faced the backyard/courtyard so it was also quiet. I would think street side rooms may be noisy as via Cavour is a large street. Only noise complaint is that our door let through all noise from the reception, which meant waking up at 7.45 when the reception lady arrived. Beds were reasonably comfortable, maybe would have liked another pillow.

The owner lady was kind and helpful. Also, breakfast, even if only adequate, delivered to the room is always nice!

Location is great too. We walked everywhere as that is my preferred way of seeing places. Easy 15 min reach from Termini, right around the corner to Colosseum etc.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank undome
Melbourne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2013

I stayed for 7 days at Hotel Paba in late January. The room was a good size, with a good bed. There was a small but OK ensuite bathroom. Everything was clean, and well organised. The location was perfect, within a block of the Colosseum. It was winter when I stayed, but the reverse cycle air conditioner keep the room comfortably warm.
Alberta, who runs the hotel, was very friendly and helpful.
Breakfast was basic, toast and coffee, but a good start to the day. When Alberta noticed that I didn't eat the Croissant (I am not fond of pastries first thing in the morning), she offered to provide more toast instead.

The hotel is small, on the second floor of the building, and the sign on the outside is not large, so pay attention to the street number. I had no trouble finding it, but I was using the street numbers.

There is a lift to the second floor, there are a few steps before getting to the lift though, so not wheelchair appropriate.

The hotel is not a luxury hotel, but is a very reasonably priced option in central Rome, very good value. I picked the hotel based on reviews on Trip Advisor, and I was not disappointed.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
Coppell, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2013

It is a nice, clean hotel where you can enjoy the historic part of Roma easily. We traveled with a toddler so were given a very comfortable King size bed room with a balcony. Simple continental breakfast brought to your room every morning was very nice. Though I would suggest to Alberta to switch it up a bit instead of the same every morning:) We felt very secure and safe at this hotel where we were part of the city. The elevator leading up to the hotel is small and has this system that needs to be adhered to. Great stay, would recommend with older kids though. Very kind host who is very accommodating and is much needed for weary travelers. Thanks Alberta for a great stay!

Room Tip: Choose the room with balcony for great sights for the streets. It wasn't noisy in January.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2013 via mobile

I am thrilled with this hotel. First, Alberta is a wonderful individual who runs the hotel. When you make the reservation on the website, she sends a confirmation email - and then you call her with your credit card number. It is an extra step - but it works just fine...it is worth it. I had been to Rome many times for work, and stayed at the usual business hotels. I decided to stay here because my brother was coming along. This hotel is footsteps from the Colosseum, Forum, Trevi Fountain. It is near the metro and Termini station. Alberta is continuously attentive. My bags came two days later, and she personally followed up to make sure they got here. She brings breakfast every morning. She helps with anything at all, and provides a map with all of the attractions upon arrival. The rooms have everything I needed. The wifi works great (I'm using it now to write this review). I emailed her a document and tickets that I needed printed while here. I will surely stay at this hotel when I come back for my next business trip. I think it is a 2-star hotel only because there is not someone at the desk 24hours (she goes home at 8pm). You'll get a key to the outside door for after hours access. It has all the amenities I would expect at a larger hotel - but with very attentive service.

Stayed January 2013, travelled on business