“Ideal if on a budget”
Review of Hotel Paba

Hotel Paba
Ranked #302 of 1,269 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 28 September 2013

Location is excellent. Room perfectly functionable. Wifi works well, and value for money is outstanding. Alberta is a delight, she even gave me a birthday present!!
Nearby restaurant... Taverna dei Fori Imperiali outstanding also.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank hyltonsurgery

Reviewed 19 September 2013

The keywords here are hospitality, value for money and location. The owner (Alberta) is a lovely lady who does everything she can to make your stay an enjoyable one. When I asked if she could book us a taxi to Termini for our 04:30 coach to Ciampino airport she not only booked the taxi but also insisted on giving us an early morning call at 04:15 to ensure we didn't oversleep! The room was reasonably spacious and very clean. The bed was very comfortable and there was a nice dressing table with mirror (something you don't always find) and a large wardrobe with plenty of hangers. The only slight downside would be the shower curtain (I just hate them) although at least this one felt and looked like it was cleaned daily. Breakfast was brought to your room on a tray (you just dial 9 and say what type of hot drink you would like) and consisted of a large mug of your hot drink plus croissants, toast, preserves and a glass of juice (although this was so watery that I have no idea what it was - but eh you can't have everything for this price). Finally, and not least, the location was absolutely fantastic at the bottom end of Via Cavour in the up and coming Monte district. You are only about 200 yards from the Forum and there was a great selection of bars and restaurants within 2 mins walk (you must try Taverna Romana and L' Asino D'Oro) and there is a Post Office cash point and 24 hour deli (I think it was called 'Pasta and Mortadella') on the opposite side of the road in case you fell peckish before turning in for the night. Absolutely brilliant if you are on a budget and want a central location and a friendly welcome.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank John G
Reviewed 10 September 2013

Very nice room with large bed and a small but adequate bath. The adequate breakfast included a variety of rolls, tea or coffee and something called orange juice. It is adequate but the B&Bs in Italy can learn from their French counterparts. I've rarely found really good bread in Italy, including at some excellent restaurants.
The location is great and in my opinion, the hotel is the best buy in Rome. Alberta runs a great operation!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 August 2013

We stayed for 6 nights at this hotel and it was wonderful. A nice location near the Colosseum too. The hotel is clean, bright, and the bed was wonderful. Its run by a lovely woman named Alberta. She was a gem. Every morning she brought us some coffee and a nice continental breakfast. I would highly recommend staying at this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Diane L
Reviewed 29 July 2013

My husband and two children (10 and 15) stayed at the Hotel Paba in June 2013. The room was very spacious for our family and we loved that our 15 year old had her own little room in the "happy family". We stayed for 4 nights and walked to every site imaginable from the perfect location. If you're the type of traveler that wants 24x7 service from the front desk, this is not the place for you as the desk staff was rarely there when we were in the hotel - except at breakfast when you could walk out your door and ask for breakfast to be brought right in. The hotel is for the more independent traveler. One suggested improvement - some different pillows. My husband and I used our inflatable airline pillows as they were more comfortable than those provided. Wireless service was good.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank CRL9803
Reviewed 13 July 2013

Read much about it here & in Booking.com, but trying it is different. It's the best valued budget hotel I ever stayed in. The staff, mainly Alberta, are so kind & attentive. My room # 3 is next to the reception, a bit noisy, but that is no big problem. Breakfast variety is limited, but really enough & generous. Room is basic but pretty clean & has everything, esp the strong airconditioner. My stay is not over yet, it's the first time I write a review before end of stay, but I belive I will stay here everytime I'm in Rome

Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 July 2013

We stayed at Hotel Paba for three nights. There were four of us (me and my three grown children) and we stayed in the "Happy Family" room. There was an enormous king sized bed that my two tall sons shared comfortably and a smaller bed I slept in with my daughter sleeping on a twin sized bed in a separate little room off the main room. It was perfect. Best bathroom we had during our stay in Italy and Alberta was so sweet to us. She brought us coffee and rolls every morning and she helped us by printing our Vatican museum reservations and our boarding passes. She also called cabs for us when necessary. This is not a 5Star American hotel, but it isn't meant to be! You're in Italy -- be open to new experiences! This is a small, cozy, lovely little hotel. There is small little old fashioned elevator (only meant to hold 3 people, as we were scolded by another resident of the building for putting all 4 of us in at one time!), but the stairs are easy and not steep at all. We would absolutely stay there again. Alberta is a rock star and the location is great. Be sure to explore the neighborhood, too. Some pretty churches, cute shops and chinese and Indian food if you're tired of Italian. We would absolutely stay there again.

Room Tip: If you are traveling with more than 4 people, this probably isn't a good choice for you.