“All you need for a stay in Rome”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Casa Il Rosario

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Casa Il Rosario
Ranked #488 of 3,752 Rome B&B and Inns
Dublin
“All you need for a stay in Rome”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2011

Casa Il Rosario is a convent guest house steps away from the Roman Forum and Coliseum. The nuns don't speak great English although I didn't find it to be a problem and I speak no Italian. The breakfast consists of bread, cheese, jam, fruit, juice, coffee or tea, yoghurt and cereal, which is plenty to give you a good start to the day. The nuns leave the food out for people to help themselves.

The rooms are large airy and clean. They're quite basic as you'd expect from a convent. The en suite bathroom was large and spotless. I was in one of the rooms overlooking the street rather than the garden and had no problems with noise but this is a city (and italian one at that) so you expect some traffic noise. There are also rooms overlooking the garden which may be a little quieter. I was in a twin room and the bed was firm, I slept like a log.

The convent has a rooftop terrace which you can bring your pizza back in the evening and sit with a glass of wine looking out to the coliseum all lit up. It also has 2 terraced gardens which are lovely to sit out in in the morning when you are planning your day.

There is no lunch or evening meal available here but as Rome is filled with places to eat that shouldn;t be a problem.

You can pay by credit card as long as you pay the charge. A small price to pay for the convenience of not carrying large amounts of cash with you. They even give you a set of Rosary beads when you are leaving which I thought was a nice touch so don't bother buying the expensive ones around town.

There is an 11pm curfew but after a full day touring Rome and as a solo traveller this wasn't a problem.

It's an ideal base for seeing Rome, very central, close to Via Cavour and all the major sights and it's much cheaper than other places. I loved it so much, I've booked in again for this year. Only €56 per night plus €2 tax (plus the credit card charge) I doubt you'd find anywhere as central and as good for the same price.

Nearest Metro is Cavour or there are buses that go down Via Cavour but it's not an insurmountable distance to walk. Turn off Via Cavour at Via Del Serpenti, take the second left then the second right and that's Via di Sant'Agata de Goti.

Take comfortable shoes as you'll be doing a lot of walking and it's very hilly. Also there are water fountains all over Rome with free, safe water so you don't need to keep buying it.

Room Tip: Nearest Metro is Cavour.
  • Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
6 Thank DublinBarb

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Philadelphia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2011

No matter how you look at it, $84 (tax incld) a night for a single facing a noisy/echoing sunless alleyway on 3rd floor, Il Rosario is no bargain.
Service? If you cannot speak Italian, there is no service. Period.
Zero information was offered upon arrival as to where the Breakfast Room was located, access to the garden, how to enter and leave doubly secured entrance, etc. Another reviewer mentioned a rooftop terrace - I didn't even know there WAS a roof top terrace! The very elderly nuns were kind and dear, but of no assistance. The middle aged nun was awful - "Can you direct me to the nearest bus stop for Piazza Popolo?" was met with a sour look of annoyance - eventually, a terse answer of "Left, Right Left" was pried from her, but I got the message not to bother her again. Her unfriendliness had nothing to do with language. The fact that I do not even know their names speaks volumes.
Breakfast - pretty bad. Bland rolls, runny yogurt (no fruit), bad coffee machine coffee - tsk tsk.
Room - clean, hot water. Bed - I didn't know there were cots made this narrow and hard.
Location - Noisy, jammed with junk/souvenir shops. Near Colosseum.

Stayed April 2011
10 Thank El H
Urbana, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2011

My husband and I stayed at this peaceful convent walking distance from most of the major landmarks.
We were welcomed by friendly women who didn't speak much English, but communicated very well with us. The first night we stayed I sat in the lobby and listened to the nuns sign their prayers. Very beautiful and serene.

Our room was simply decorated and very clean. We had our own bath and a view of the street.

My only complaint would be the breakfast, but it was sufficient for getting the day started. I ate the cereal with yogurt everyday. There is a computer room with beverages you can purchase. The coffee is much better from that machine. The water is a great price there too. You can refill your bottle for free at the fountains throughout the city.

There is no wifi, but you can use a cord that is located where you check your key. We sat in the lobby and caught up on Facebook, etc. It was fun to entreat with people speaking various languages while sitting in the lobby.

Maria, a niece of one of the nuns, recommended a great restaurant down the road from the convent called Wanted. They have excellent food, prices and service!

Don't miss the fourth floor terrace with an excellent view of the city from up there. You can see the Coliseum and the Compleso del Vittoriano. I enjoyed the terrace at night and each morning.

I highly recommend staying at the convent! They were friendly, very clean and extremely safe.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank TiffanyEckhardt
Burnaby, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2010

Our family of 3 along with our large extended family (a total of 17 people) stayed here and we found it perfect. The rooms were sparse but modern and clean. The place felt peaceful and safe. It's located near the Victor Emmanuel Monument and a short walk to the Colosseum. There is an 11 pm strict curfew - they will not budge on this as the doors are locked and there is no staff after 11 pm. Rome was the last stop in a 4 week trip with a 10 year old, so we were ready to hit the sack well before 11 pm. If you plan on staying out later than 11 pm (and it's easy to do in Rome), then this place is not for you. Otherwise, I found it was just as good as any basic hotel but at a fantastic price.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank One-of-17
Monroe, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2010

I've stayed here every time I've come to Rome, and each time I've absolutely loved it. The nuns who run it are sweet and helpful, the ambiance of the place is just lovely. There are several accommodations. I've stayed in three different rooms here, and each has been wonderful in it's own ways. The location is excellent- about 5 or 10 minutes to walk to the Colosseum, 4 minutes to the greatest gelato place ever, 5 minutes to the nearest subway station, and right next to a little town square that is just wonderful. I can't think of a single thing wrong with this place. I've stayed in too many hotels to count, and this is by far, without a doubt, the best.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Rose Marie H
Brooklyn, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2010

Not exactly 'staying in a convent,' this basic hotel is run by nuns across the street from their convent, but it feels convent-like in a good sense: spare, peaceful, protected, and a bit timeless (although there is broadband Internet available off the lobby, but no phone service). The location on a cobbled narrow street near the Coliseum is excellent, and the little micro-neighborhood of St Maria del Monti became my little refuge from the madness of Rome. The 11 pm curfew was not a problem for me, and the nuns and other folks who staffed the desk were kind and helpful. The garden had orange trees in bloom, and their perfume was everywhere. Room was a clean and functional little cell with a tiny but adequate bathroom; at night, one heard the wacky sounds of local Roman street life through the shutters, which I enjoyed. For the price, it was well worth the tradeoff in standard hotel amenities, and as a woman traveling alone I liked the sense of safety a lot. Highly recommended if you're not hung up on standard American luxuries and don't want to do late-night room parties.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled solo
4 Thank BrendafromFlatbush
Hamburg, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2010

This hotel, run by an order of nuns, is on a quiet side street, is very clean, and peaceful. Our room with three single beds was sparse but bright. The in suite bathroom was of a reasonable size with adequate towels. The room did not have either television or radio.

The hotel is within easy walking distance of the Colosseum, the forums, the metro on Via Cavour, and the buses on Via Nazionale to the Vatican. In the neighborhood is a small piazza with a few reasonably priced restaurants.

The breakfast was the usual Italian breakfast: cereals, yogurt, bread, packages of jelly, cheese, and meat pates, coffee, tea, juice, and milk.

The nuns are pleasant and helpful, but for the most part they speak only Italian. However, when we had questions about stores and directions, they found someone who spoke English. When we arrived after an early flight from the U.S., we were told our room would not be available until 12 noon and we were reminded of the 11 p.m. curfew. Check-out is 9 a.m. but luggage can be left in a lounge area.

We were pleased with our stay, the rate, and the convenient location, and we would return on future visits to Rome.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family