“Kathryn & Peter: Australia Clean, centrally located hotel with friendly staff”
Review of XX Settembre

XX Settembre
Ranked #215 of 1,258 Hotels in Rome
Wollongong, Australia
“Kathryn & Peter: Australia Clean, centrally located hotel with friendly staff”
Reviewed 11 July 2014

On arrival we were greeted by staff and our room was made available early so we could clean up after a 25hr plane trip from Australia. All the staff were friendly and Gianluca, the concierge, spoke English and was able to help us with any enquiries we had in regards to tours, train trips and recommendations for restaurants. He also provided us with a map of Rome. Termini Station was a 5-10 minute walk plus we were also able to walk and discover Rome from our hotel, Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps and many more unlisted sights and so the hotel is ideally situated. The room was very small but clean and served our needs as we spent most of our time exploring Rome.
Our room was across the lane from the main hotel and was quiet at night so we were able to enjoy our sleep without disturbances.
There are eateries,bakeries, small supermarkets and small bars within minutes of the hotel so we were able to buy drinks, food and toiletries easily.
Breakfast was available every morning which was available from 7.00 and so early enough to enable us to eat and have a coffee before setting off for the day.
The Barbablu Restaurant recommended was just around the corner and had a delicious menu, we also received a complimentary wine and after dinner Lemincillo.
Each morning a market was set up at the end of the street which had fresh fruit and vegetables as well as bargain priced clothes and goods.
We found our stay in Rome enjoyable and would recommend the XX Settembre to anyone wanting a clean, safe and reasonably priced hotel in the centre of Rome.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
robertonecci, Direttore at XX Settembre, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Dear Ms. Kathryn and Mr. Peter,

thanks for Your review.

We are really glad You have found our hotel a comfortable and enjoyable place.

We are waiting to receive You in our hotel on Your next vacation in Rome.

Best Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Seongnam
Reviewed 6 July 2014

I first had my doubts about this place because of the great price and some of the so-so previous reviews...but the hotel ended up being fantastic in every aspect.

1. Location: about 10 minute walk to Termini station (and also to Repubblica station to avoid the madness), also a Conad supermarket about 5 min. and a decent (price and quality) restaurant around the corner. Can't ask for a more central/convenient location.

2. Room: Was a bit small for a triple, but had everything we needed: (fridge, AC, safe, good internet...not many hotels in Italy that have all 4)...and very clean

3. Staff: Absolutely fantastic people working here. Very professional, friendly, and take the initiative to give good tourist advice. Better than even any 5-star places I've been to.

Can't go wrong here. Loved my stay!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

we are really glad You have enjoyed Your stay. Thank You very much for Your review.

We hope we can receive You once more in our hotel on Your next vacation.

Best Regards
Akron, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 10 June 2014

The hotel staff was great and always nice to deal with. The location is great to get to the bus/train to get wherever you want to to go in the city. The location is a little hard to find so use a GPS because it is not located on the street that goes by the same name. There are rooms across the alley in another building and this is where our room was. Personally I liked this location better but if you are Wi-Fi dependent the signal here is poor so you will have to go to the main building and sit on the leather couch to get good Wi-Fi. Overall a great value and tucked in a nice little alley it made for a quiet place to stay. I would stay here again!

Room Tip: If they say you are across the street be happy as I found my room over here to be quite nice and awa...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
robertonecci, Direttore at XX Settembre, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Dear Guest,

we are really glad You have enjoyed Your stay, and we are sorry for the poor wifi connection, we are working on it to improve it so when You will come back to our hotel You will find the differences.

Waiting to receive You in our hotel we send You our Best Regards.
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 May 2014

What can I say? This is a lovely and friendly little hotel situated about a 5-10 minute walk from the main Termini station (although I walk quite fast) in a quiet side street.

On arrival, I was greeted cheerily by the guy (Gianluca) on reception who was very pleasant and genuinely friendly. He checked me in promptly, provided a map of Rome and marked off all the main attractions and nearby metro stations and recommended a nearby restaurant.

I went up to my single bed room and, although basic, it was very clean and tidy and had a nice fresh smell about it. There was a working TV, working climate control (which went straight on as it was very warm weather), a perfectly spotless bathroom with (shower, toilet and sink), clean towels and some complimentary toiletries.

There is also a small safe in the wardrobe that was very easy to use by setting a new combination number. It is not big enough for large items like an iPad but I didn't have one so this was fine. It is perfect for storing passport, cash, tickets etc. There is also a small fridge in the room, although I didn't use it, but the previous occupant had left a can of beer in it which I was happy to crack open :o)

The bed was reasonably comfortable and I slept well each night after a hard day of exploring. Not the best but certainly not the worst I have slept in. I used the blanket from the wardrobe as an extra pillow. I am sure I could have asked for another one instead but it really wasn't a problem for me.

The room was cleaned every day and I was very happy to sleep there. I did not spend a great deal of time in the room as I was always out exploring for the whole day and night.

Breakfast is provided between 7-10am, however I cannot comment on how good it was because I did not eat at the hotel due to my preference to eat while out and about instead.

Price wise, I think this is well priced. I got a flight and hotel deal via Expedia and paid approximately £360 for return flights and 4 nights accommodation. For Rome, I thought this was very good value.

There are plenty of nearby convenience shops for bottles of water, beer, snacks, toiletries, sunblock etc. There is also a day time market in the next street which is great for buying fresh fruit.

The staff I interacted with (day receptionist, afternoon receptionist, night porter and cleaners) were all very friendly, particularly the two guys working on the reception. Always asking what I had been doing that day and taking an interest in my visit.

This is a great location for access to public transport as the main railway station, a few metro stops and buses are all close by. The main part of the city and the key attractions are all within walking distance (approx 20 minutes to the Trevi Fountain for example) and I like to walk everywhere.

The restaurant recommended by the hotel is literally around the corner (Via Montebello), less than a minute's walk. It is called Barbablu and the staff there are, again, so nice and friendly.

The food is great and very reasonably priced compared to the main centre of Rome, you get much more for your money. Plus, the hotel will give you a recommendation slip to take with you which gets you a free small glass of Prosecco on arrival and a shot of Limoncello after your meal :o) What's not to like about that?!

So, all in all, I would recommend this hotel as being ideal for a short break in Rome. If you expect luxury, then you should dig a little deeper into your pocket, if you just want a pleasant place to use as a base then XX Settembre ticks all the right boxes.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
robertonecci, Direttore at XX Settembre, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Dear Guest, thanks for Your wonderful comment. We are really glad that You have enjoyed Your stay and we look forward to have You as our Guest again. Best Regards
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Very close to termini train station, about a 40 minute walk to the Vatican / Coliseum.
I stayed in a single room in the main block, it was a small room, but adequate. Wifi signal was good even though I was on the second floor. Double rooms looked much better.
It could be a little noisy at times, but thus is a city centre.
Restaurants in the area are all terrible, except Romana for ice cream (let them choose for you) and pinsere for pizza on via flavia.
Hotel staff were all very friendly.
Don't be put off by the negative reviews, I was a little apprehensive after seeing them, but the place is good.

Room Tip: Stay in the main annexe
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 22 May 2014

The hotel staff is very accomodative and the rooms are good for the price. Price quality wise this hotel is a good option. Clean rooms and helpful hotel receptionists, what more can you ask for?
The location is about 7-10 min.walk from Termini. A small market area is located near the hotel and a couple of exotic restaurants. I had a great time in Rome.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
robertonecci, Direttore at XX Settembre, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Dear Guest, thank You very much for this comment. We do our best to let our guests feel like home! We are really glad that You had a beautiful time in Rome and in our hotel and we look forward to have You as our guest again. Best Regards
Antwerp, Belgium
Reviewed 6 May 2014

very friendly staff good variety breakfast new ,fresh ,clean rooms good location 5 min metrolines
small hotel but everything you need for a few days rome ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
robertonecci, Direttore at XX Settembre, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Dear Guest, thanks for Your comment, we really appreciate that You had a good time in our hotel.
We look forward to have You as our guest again. Best Regards