“great location”
Review of Hotel Cecil

Hotel Cecil
Ranked #215 of 1,271 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 9 July 2014

We stayed here in late May for a few days on a tour of Italy. The hotel is on a small street so not accessible by bus but very close to Spanish Steps and Trevi Fountain. Friendly, helpful staff. Clean. Rooftop lounge area gives you a nice place to hang if you're feeling a little crowded in this busy city.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Daryl_G

Reviewed 20 June 2014

I decided to find a hotel once arriving in Rome, I could then see what I was paying for. This hotel is in an excellent location, minutes from Spanish steps and Trevi Fountain. The Hotel Cecil is in a 300 year building, many of the doorways are original marble. Bathrooms are all new, with nice new showers. The rooms are a little small, that is due to keeping the building structure same as it was previously. Mainly American guests staying for few nights before going on a cruise and Japanese.
If I am lucky enough to go to Rome again I will stay here. Staff are fantastic, all speak excellent English and tell you where to visit, which pizzerias are good value etc. The hotels a few minutes from here are around £225 Euros per night. This was a lucky find. It is 3/4 star rating but a good 3/4 star

Room Tip: Bed was very comfortable
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Cherrypeach07
default06, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at Hotel Cecil, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Dear Guest, we thank you for your nice comment and for appreciating out hotel. We do want to offer our guests a comfortable and pleasant stay in the most elegant neighbourhood in Rome and at a reasonable price. We are very grateful that you have noticed it.
Thank you again!!!

Reviewed 10 June 2014

Hotel Cecil was everything I needed in my short trip to Rome. The staff were lovely and spoke excellent English. Spacious and ornate lobby area and bar. Clean, tidy, air-conditioned room with desk & chair, TV, wardrobe, safe, lamp, phone, en suite bathroom. I even had a balcony large enough to sit out on. Continental breakfast served all types of preference, including yoghurt, pastries, hard-boiled eggs, bread rolls, rye bread, coffee, tea, juice, and cakes. The location is absolutely perfect for a short stay, as it is possible to walk everywhere easily which cuts out wasted time travelling / commuting; also allowing for new discoveries along the way. Situated very close to the Spanish Steps it is also on a well-lit and busy enough street for it to feel safe, even at night. Wifi is included on site, and staff are able to print out documents at a small charge if emailed to the address they supply. I was also able to sign out a usb plug converter from reception to charge my phone, which was also of great help. The private car service they provide to Ciampini airport is also very reasonable, considering it will cost more to take a cab from Termini station last-minute if you are unable to board the bus (which fills up quickly), and I opted for this to avoid the stress I may otherwise have experienced trying to get to the airport which would have soured the end of my holiday. I would highly recommend this hotel for location, cleanliness, hospitality, all the above reasons. Also if you book via their own website you may even get a small discount to the cost - which I must say was already incredibly reasonable considering everything I got out of my stay and I was overall very impressed. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank R.H. C

Dear Guest, we are delighted for getting such a detailed comment. We do remember of you, a very kind and lovely person. People like you are the reason why we believe in and love this job.
Thank you so much !!!!!!

Reviewed 26 May 2014

Recently spent three days at Cecil. Lovely room,with a brand new bath and shower and even our own patio. Staff was friendly and so helpful, with great recommendations for near by dining. Location was near many major sights and within walking distance to many others. We enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: Loved room 112
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Susan R
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Positives:
Location
the front desk people are nice and responsive
the bathrooms seem to be remodeled.

Negatives:
The furniture looks like they were 60 years old.
They only had twin beds, so they put two twin beds together for a double.
The comforter (blanket) looked to be very old. I wish I had a picture of it, because it really looked like it was 20-30 years old.
The sheets were like sleeping on sand paper.
The breakfast was not good.
The service at the breakfast area was not good.
The elevator was broken and we had to carry our own bags down 3 stories.
The hotel was not cheap (even under Rome standards). Knowing what I know now, it is really expensive for what you get.
Wi Fi is not reliable.

Overall, if the Hotel Cecil is a 2 star hotel. They missed on a lot of little details that make any stay more enjoyable. When we went down for breakfast, there were 4 ladies chatting at the bar while ALL the tables were full of empty dishes that had not been cleared. We sat in the lobby. The breakfast was not good. The pastries were all very stale. The croissants were so hard. There was no creme for the coffee, and the milk was warm. All of those things I can tolerate, but the broken elevator and the lack of bell service on our last day was the last straw.

I have a lot of regret staying here because it took away from our experience in Rome. I will not be going back to Hotel Cecil.

Room Tip: If you can get a good rate on this place, the location is worth it, but you'll have to set your...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank B T
default06, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at Hotel Cecil, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2014

Dear Guest,
thank you for getting the time to write this commentary. We are astonished and sorry for all you wrote. We do remember the day the lift was out of order for a few hours only and we are sorry if that bothered you. Thank you for appreciating our bathrooms. As for the furniture, we are content with the Impero style that has so far identified Hotel Cecil.
We are also sorry that you did not like our breakfast although we make our best to make it as good as we can. In terms of fares, we do think they are quite competitive when we talk about high season.
Best regards

Reviewed 24 April 2014

Hotel Cecil's staff was very pleasant and helpful. The hotel is on a quiet street peaceful sleeping. Their entry lobby is nice, but the rooms are worn and in serious need of an update. Be aware that if you depart the hotel before 8:00am there is no bell service and you need to bring down your own bags to the lobby.

Room Tip: The rooms I saw on the first floor were nicer.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Alice32308
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Cecil hotel is very convenient to trevi fountain. Very clean and friendly staff, helpful with sorting out any matters. Some rooms are better than others breakfast was plenty full. But quite a small dinning area. A nice hotel in a lovely city.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family