“Don't book the hotel”

Ranked #1,142 of 1,291 Hotels in Rome
Hong Kong, China
“Don't book the hotel”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2010

I had booked the hotel for 3 days and received the confirmation from the Hotel, so I went to check in on time. While I went to the hotel and gave the booking reference to the reception, he checked and then called a man, he said that we (I with my friend - two girls) should follow him and they are the same. So we followed the man to a apartment, there are three rooms in a flat. At that time I had no suggestions, so I paid the monies to the man and he gave me his card. At that time we knew it is a Bed & Breakfast and he gave me a map and also told me how could go the sightseeings. After he left for only 5 minutes, the light shut down suddenly, we were afraid and felt horrible, so I called the man and asked him why. He replied that there was no electric for 2 hours for the whole area. So we left the room and went back to the hotel and ask the receiption. He told me that this areas were always liked this and not be afraid. So I went to had a walked to visit some sight first and then turned back to the B&B before 5:00p.m..

At that time, there was electric. Then I checked my room and found that there was only a window in the washroom which cannot closed. Besides, people could see everything through the key hole. The door of the room is sliding to close that is very dangerous. The washroom had smell. So I hadn't sleep on the first night. The breakfast was having on the 4th floor in one room of a flat, and it was very poor.

Then I booked another four star hotel for the following two days. I moved to the new hotel on the second night and checked out the B&B on the third day morning before 9:30a.m.. And I hadn't got back the monies for the third night.

The hotel is very unreliable that I booked the hotel before 2 months. If they did't have any room then they could send e-mail to tell me, not the confirmation. When I went to the hotel on the first night, I told the other receiption my stories, he felt it was normal. So I recommend that if you want to book this hotel, you should have a deep think that they may also send you to the other Bed & Breakfast or place.

Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank lwmteresa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Guam, Mariana Islands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2010

Had 2 weeks in Europe on honeymoon...3 nights in Rome in the Hotel Cortorillo. This is a solid 2 star hotel. The previous reviews are mostly accurate. Here's the good and the bad, first the bad:
-bathroom is very small with no shower curtain (everything gets wet)
-Air conditioner works, but not well enough to cool the room
-furnishings are spartan and low quality
-the breakfast is sparse (there is a great bakery 2 blocks down the street)
-elevator is small (2-3 person max)
-wifi is available but doesn't have a good connection on 5th floor (that's where the rooms are).

The good:
-price
-it has an elevator that works
-internet is available on the first floor via a public computer
-area is safe and close to restaurants, train station, and central to all attractions
-staff is very helpful and friendly
-rooms have double paned glass windows (offers some quiet from the noisy streets).

Overall, it's an acceptable hotel.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sam P
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2010

Stayed here for 3 nights. The rooms were clean and tidy with room service provided. Safety lockers provided in the room with TV also.

Nice breakfast and free coffee of your choice is provided everyday. The staff are nice and helpful and they offered to hire a taxi to take us to airport at 4am.

No wi-fi in the room but free internet provided in the lobby room. Connection was not always okay though.

Located close to the train station. Bus stations and metro station are just walks away though I think the area was a bit unsafe late at night.

Overall it is a decent hostel at this price range and I will stay in the hostel if I visit Rome again.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
Hong Kong
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2009

It's owned by a family (a mom and a son). The mom doesn't know English. She looks like unfriendly, but actually she is soooooooooooo nice! She made a free coffee for me to wake up in the early morning I checked in! The son is very helpful and polite. He told me where I can buy low priced clothes, and introduced a very good italian restaurant next door (La Mensa di Bacci Rustirante Pizzeria).

It's a 2-star hotel, u can't expect what facilities they have. At least they have a good location closed to the train station but safe. After u check in at the small lobby, u have to go out the lobby and go into the building by the entrance next door. They have a very old elevator that u have to open/close the door by yourself. The rooms are located on the 3rd & 4th floor.

The room I stayed was clean. The room costed me euro 55/night including simple breakfast. There is a safebox in the room~ There is no curtain to separate the shower and the toilet, and there is no window in the toilet, so the floor would be wet for a long time after shower. Hot water will come out one minute after u switch on the tap. But it's fine for me. They don't provide toothpaste, toothbrush and shampoo, but have a soap and hair dryer on the wall.

It takes u 2-3 minutes to the main train station. It's located on the street where so many Chinese open their shops. I don't feel dangerous on the street even at night (I am an Asian female solo traveller).

The breakfast place is next to the front desk, a very simple breakfast serving bread, juice and coffee only. U can also take the fruit/bread/snack there anytime u need!

Anyway, it's still good value for money in Rome!! I have suggested it for people who travel in tight budget!

Tips: They have 24 hrs reception but the staff will lock the lobby door at 11pm for safe, and he may sleeps in the sofa that u have to wake him up if u arrive late or get back ur key on front desk. If then, u better save the telephone number and call the staff a few minutes before u arrive to ensure he is there.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank ahmao1217
Halifax, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2009

You get what you pay for. This is more like a pensione than a hotel. If you want room service don't come here. If you want a clean bed, clean room, plenty of cupboards, drawers, wadrobe space, a hot shower and clean bathroom, mirror for the ladys, TV, then book.
24 hour reception is great, the breky was ok (continental help yourself).
You need to check in at street level, not the 5 floors up where all the signs point. The location is ideal for walking and everything and metro etc.
The guy behind the dsk was really helpful.
It was fine for our trip to Rome. We were only in the Hotel to sleep.

If you go to the Vatican Museum (Sistene Chapel) book on line for about 2 euros extra and walk straight in! No queueing. Same for Coleseum.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RichardHalifax
Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2009

My family of 4 adults booked a quad room. There was sufficient sleeping area (3 beds - 2 singles and 1 double) but there were not enough space for us to place our luggages. The bathroom was really really tiny. There was no shower curtain separating the shower area and the rest of the bathroom, and due to the small size of the bathroom, a shower would flood the bathroom and cause the whole room to be really wet.

The location is superb, walking distance from Roma Termini (2 min walk) and there are plenty of dining options around the area. The staff was also very friendly and helpful as they gave us tips on where to shop outside the city area. The breakfast was sufficient, but do not expect much.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
Dublin
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2008

Myself and my girlfirend stayed here for 4 nights. This place was pretty much awful from the start. Checked in 10pm by a guy at the desk who, although was not rude, he wasn't exactly welcoming and kept converstaion to a minimum. Bathroom was tiny and i mean tiny- approx 7ft by 5 ft. The shower had no curtain so the water went everywhere. There was constantly a horrible sewerage smell coming from the shower drainage. The bedroom size was reasonable for a 2 star but the air conditioning seemed to be just a fan-it didnt acually cool the air. The TV didnt work properly-upper half of the screen didnt work!!! Sleeping was quite unpleasant as it was particulaly wam during the night. Our bedroom was located under the reception so it was particularly noisy in the morning when they were preparing breakfast for the other guests.

We toured around rome the following morning and returned to find that the bedlinen and towels had not been changed. When I asked about it at reception they told me that because I didnt leave the room key at the desk in the morning there was way of the cleaner gaining access to the room. But we had not been told to leave keys at reception!!!! They gave me some [--] excuse about having a limited set of extra keys. To avoid a row I just got them to give me new towels and left it at that!

Breakfast very plain and was the exact same every day. The only fresd foods on the breakfast menu was the small slices of bread.

Overall-i was disapointed with the hotel particularly given that the majority of the reviews appear to be quite postitive. However based on our own experience i find it very hard to justify these reports. I thought 120 euro a night in a 2 star entitled us to a better standard of service and a more conformtable room. Beware of the pictures as theyare misleading and do not give a true illustration of what the place was like.

• Liked — The Check out desk
  • Disliked — Bathroom
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Roro82

Travellers are raving about these Rome hotels