“Please DON'T stay here”

Ranked #1,021 of 1,257 Hotels in Rome
London
“Please DON'T stay here”
Reviewed 7 September 2010

Compelled to offer a review even though it's been a while. This is the worst and scariest place I have ever tried to stay at.

I found this place through at the last minute, unfort I didn't have the benefit of reading some of the reviews here and desperate, however not desperate enough to spend the night when I saw the room and attempted a shower in shared bathroom.

Staff were very rude, the name Mirage is no coincidence, the reception area is not connected to the hotel- the hotel rooms- if that is what you can call them are around the corner, up dark stair case. Just weird.

The room itself was filthy dirty, the beds and bedding was seriously old- unbelievable. The bathroom didn't have a light in it, the light was on a timer in the hall way.

Please save your money and don't stay here, there are much nicer places close.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled solo
2 Thank CityTravel82

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 25 June 2010

Conveniently located just across the train station; rooms are big enough and no noise; rooms have refrigerator and bathtub. Aircondition work excelent. The hotel stuff were very nice and helpful. I specially thank the lady owner, who is so friendly. The breakfast was good and the room fine. Excellent value for money.. It was in a very convenient location right by Termini station and close to all the attractions in the city of Rome. Hotel was clean, and the staff were polite, helpful and efficient. It is in a superb location for anyone arriving by train or airport bus from Ciampino & Fumincino.

Lokalizacja hotelu genialna, najlepsza z mozliwych dla zwiedzania Rzymu. Praktycznie na wprost dworca Termini i metra. Tuż przy przystankach autobusów z lotniska Ciampino & Fumincino. Ładny, czysty pokój, klimatyzacja, pokoje dosc dobrze odizolowane od halasu z ulicy. Codziennie sprzątanie i wymiana ręczników. Niska cena. Śniadanie w cenie. Bardzo miła i pomocna obsługa w hotelu. Godny polecenia, myślę, że jeszcze z Ich usług skorzystam :)

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank d95
Tell-Aviv
Reviewed 22 June 2010

I stayed in the hotel one night with my husband - the room was OK and we were planning to stay for another 2 or 3 nights.In the morning my step son joined us and we wanted to register him as well. The owner ( she was at the reception this day) started to scream claiming that we want to let him in with the luggage without checking in. Her poor English did not allow her to understand that we were just about to register him in. She claimed that we can get out of the hotel and she is ready to give us money back - she did it by the way. While we were packing our staff she kept on saying to my stepson that she does not like her customers and that is it! I would not recommend this place to anyone - there are plenty of hotels in Rome with much better staff!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank kamaya62

Travellers are raving about these Rome hotels

London
Reviewed 6 June 2010

I am very happy with the services of this hotel and all the personel.location super.rooms are clean and big nice bar services in the room with all kind of drink and a cheap price .
internet,tv the people at the front desk are very nice. they give me all the information all kind of tours ...yes I will go again!!!!!!!!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank angelina70london
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 13 October 2009

I returned to Hotel Mirage with two friends because my daughter and I had such a positive experience here three years ago. All my emails confirmed my request for two rooms at Hotel Mirage. When we arrive at 4 PM we were taken up the Hotel Mirage elevator, taken out a door into a connecting building and shown two rooms in Hotel Halifax. Neither room was the quality of the Hotel Mirage, the door where we exited the Hotel Mirage did not allow return access. There is no elevator to the 5th floor where our rooms were in Hotel Halifax. The staff, two disagreeable women, refused to change the rooms, were rude, lied about the condition of Hotel Halifax and refused to admit we did not have the what I reserved. They repeatedly said the rooms were the same in both hotels. We went out to look for another hotel without success. After dinner when we returned I found my single room was dirty, had a used pair of women's underwear behind the luggage stand, vintage dust bunnies under the bed and in every corner, smelled of sewer gas off and on during the three days, ONE TOWEL, no bath mat for the slippery wet tile floor and no cups for water were in the room. I was finally given a small towel the third day. The sheets were not clean and they were replaced the following day. I drank a bottle of water from the filthy refrigerator and told the desk I would not pay for it because there were no cups in the room. I got two cups. The "lobby" of Hotel Halifax has mattresses stored behind the curtains. Fire code anyone?

These were the last three days in Italy after 23 great days in Sicily where there are far fewer tourist facilities but with great experiences. When you know you have a returning customer bringing more customers would it not be good business to develop more customers in the same way. The women at the desk were the two most disagreeable people, probably not Italian, I had the displeasure to deal with. They blamed co-workers when clearly they were the ones in charge. They should be ashamed to represent Italy. I wish I knew I this site accepted photos. That dirty thong lying in the dust bunnies was quite the still life.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank PaintItaly
Asia
Reviewed 30 September 2009

That's what I did. I had already read the reviews, and so I didn't expect much from the hotel. However, and unfortunately, there were still a few things that bothered me and that are worth letting you all know.

Location
- The location is very convenient, since it is right across Termini station. However, try to be extra careful, especially at night, since the area doesn't really feel so safe. Although it was good to see a few police roaming the area, it never hurts to be extra careful.
- The location was also good since I booked a very early bus ride to Ciampino airport (4.30am). The bus arrives and picks up passengers just outside the hotel.

Check-in
- Expect this line: "We would prefer that you pay cash". I expected it already after reading the reviews, so that wasn't a problem for me. But do prepare 20 Euros as deposit for the TV remote control. There are usually two people who are at the reception, either a bald guy, or a lady. The lady comes in the daytime, the bald guy at night. Check-in is fairly easy, they give you a key, and you can go up to your room.

Hotel facilities / services
- Elevator: VERY OLD SCHOOL. The type where you have to slide open the doors. And it can probably only fit two people. Or even just one, if you have bulky luggage. And, it doesn't feel so safe. So if you don't mind climbing up the staircase to the 4th floor, I suggest, climb.
- The hotel is open 24 hours, so you don't have to worry about any curfew. BUT, you have to leave your keys at the reception. So, I suggest, lock up your luggage in your room everytime you leave.
- Breakfast: Very basic. Cold bread, butter jams, slices of ham and cheese, juice, and some other stuff. Breakfast room is small, girl-in-charge doesn't speak a word of English. Wasn't impressed, but anyway, didn't expect much in the first place.

Room
- I guess this is really the most important. And to be honest, the room was fairly okay. It was relatively clean, nothing disgusting, thankfully.
- Room has hot water
- Room has hairdryer
- Towels smell AWEFUL! I suggest you bring your own.
- TV only has a handful of channels, all in Italian. So don't even bother. Maybe you can bring a laptop and just listen to your own music or watch videos.
- WARNING: My aircon did not work. I complained upon arriving, and they bald guy came up to the room, stared at the aircon for about 5minutes and said that it was starting to get gold. NOT! You can hear the air come out, but it was definitely not cold. I complained that I expected a room with airconditioning since it wasnt winter yet, and the room was quite warm at night, and all the bald guy could say was "I'm very sorry". I demanded another room, and he said that there were no available rooms (although I'm sure there was), and he said he'd give me a new room the very next morning. The next morning, I came down, spoke to the woman at reception, and she gave me a different answer: "Sorry, we cannot give you a new room. All the airconditioning units are not working because it's near winter and you don't need airconditioning. Just open your window if you feel hot". I was furious. But i decided to just leave it to that, since complaining wouldn't get me anything. I'm sure the hotel fools many people, so why bother. Anyway, I'm out in the city most of the time.
- WARNING: There is NO FREE INTERNET, although they claim to have. I ask if there is internet connection, the bald guy cuts out a piece of paper and hands me the username and password -- FREE FOR ONLY 30MINUTES! Ripoff. Next day, lady at reception says "Sorry, our internet access is not working".

All in all, my title sums it up:
Expect the worst, and you won't be disappointed.

But with that, I wouldn't recommend the place. The hotel website fools people into thinking they provide all these services (free internet, aircon, etc), but when you get there, all they can tell you is "Sorry".

There are many more hotels / hostels around the area. A LOT of hotels. So if you were to pay an extra 10 or 20 Euros for a better hotel, go for it. This one wasn't worth the money, or even the good location. Have a good trip in Rome!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank GlobalTrekker00
earth
Reviewed 27 July 2008

My friends and I (3 of us) found this place by just walking in and thinking it looked nice and the price seemed reasonable for a 3 star hotel. We gave a $20 (euro) deposit for the key to our room (which was given back when we left) and we had to pay the full amount up front for our stay. The hotel building is also shared by at least one other hotel. We had to use the entrance of the other hotel to use the elevator to get up to our room. There was no elevator from our hotel entrance, only stairs. The airconditioning in our room was not as cold as we would have liked it to be and we had the fan on the maximum setting. The towels smelled like vinegar and the bed sheets had many hairs in them after close inspection. I think the place had bed bugs because we were all slapping and scratching ourselves throughout the 2 night we stayed. One morning we awoke early to someone talking loudly in the hallway outside our room.That same morning my friend found some kind of "finger" nail with hair or fur on it that he had been sleeping on. Uugghh!!! Breakfast was included, but we avoided it. There were some cold cuts, toast, cereal, jam, orange juice and warm yogurt that was out for who knows how long. The drinking glasses were all different shapes and sizes and had many scratch markings on them. Outside the hotel at night didn't have a safe feeling. There were some "shady" characters out there.The only good thing about this place is that it's near the Termini train station which makes getting around Rome more easy. This is definitely NOT a 3 star hotel.

• Liked — Close to Termini train station which alowed for easy access to get around Rome.
  • Disliked — Bed bugs
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)