“Not for business trips!”
Review of Oly Hotel

Oly Hotel
Ranked #420 of 1,271 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 21 October 2013

After reading several reviews on how good this hotel was, how it was a good business hotel, we booked it for our visit to a trade show. The reception was friendly and helpful, said that the metro was 5 minutes away...
Well, 5 minutes was more like 15 minutes--if you walked fast! It was very unpleasant to walk around a not-quite safe-looking neighbourhood at night with laptop and expensive equipment. We took a taxi after that.
The rooms were tidy and neat, however, the doors only closed with force, so half of the night we lay awake due to slamming of doors and yelling of (Italian) guests. Our safe did not close properly, only with extreme force. On our last night, there was some sort of outdoor Karaoke concert or concert, with extremely loud music and singing coming from outside, and it was impossible to sleep. After 8 hours on your feet at work, this is not what you want to greet you!
The shower head had clearly not been cleaned in forever, everything seemed a little run-down. On our first night we ate at the restaurant, where the food was cold and the prices high. Definitely not worth it!
There are several nice places in the area to eat, but best walk in company of someone.
Breakfast was sparse, and the coffee machine spat out some brown goo which tasted nothing like coffee. I asked for a cappuccino from the kitchen, but was informed that they could not make one because they were cleaning the machines. Right behind the waitress were the machines, and they were obviously not being cleaned. Other clients however, did receive cappuccinos or coffees. Perhaps we booked a wrong room rate. I would have paid for the coffee, but they didn't even give me the option.
The beds were comfortable, there was a TV in the room, free water as well, but the noise was too much to recover from a long day.
Perhaps if you want to save some $$$ and book something cheap, if you don't mind walking a little to the metro and can sleep in noise, then this hotel will be ok.
As a business hotel? No, Sir!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank HannaBGood
OlyHotelStaff, Direttore at Oly Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2013

Dear Madam,
I would like to thank you for reviewing Oly Hotel but there are some points that I have to make clear:
- our hotel is at 600 metres from the San Paolo Basilica metro stop, the time it takes to reach us may vary a lot from person to person;
- we do our best to explain to our guests the best way to get there and we always provide a small map of the neighbourhood;
- the surroundings of our hotel are safe and quiet, we are between a Church and a Primary School, and San Paolo is a very popular place in Rome;
- I am extremely sorry about the noise that some other guest made but our reception is open all night long and maybe we could have helped if you had called us;
- I am extremely sorry about the shower head in your room but our staff could have changed it immediately if only you had informed us;
- our restaurant is very well known for its excellent food and both beef carpaccio and almond tuna are cold dishes, I am sorry that our staff didn't explain it to you when taking your order;
- the prices of our restaurant depend a lot upon the drinks you have;
- I am sorry about the problems we had last Sunday with the espresso machine but no one had cappuccino and the ones you saw came from the automatic machine, there was nothing wrong with your rate.

We are a business hotel, we do our best to please our guests and all our staff is looking forward to seeing you again here at Oly Hotel.

Yours sincerely,
Andrea Nicolai

Reviewed 15 September 2013

I was in Rome only for a night during a business travel. This hotel should be a 4 stars hotel, but there are some troubles that need to consider the opportunity to revamp it. The room was a large and comfortable but furnishings and moquette come from an another time. The bathroom was not so clean (there was an hair in shower) even if it was globally acceptable. Breakfast room was nice, also with a good quality of meal. Hotel has a large parking, but position is far from a metro stop.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 July 2013

Found the hotel excellent, only stayed for one night with family but found the staff willing to help, they let us have access to a room for cleaning ourselves up and storing our cases before leaving for our flight home at no extra charge something you don't always encounter with some Italian hotels, all the staff I met were courteous and friendly, didn't use the gym (wrong time of the year) or the swimming pool, but the hotel was handy enough to get to, when you know the right metro station to use, a shuttle service to the metro would have been handy especially if you have luggage, but not necessary if you are reasonably fit, breakfast was fine for me with as much choice as you want, again better to ask the staff at the time if you have a problem (espresso available if you want it) area doesn't give the best impressions with the graffiti on some of the buildings but we encountered no problems whatsoever, free bottles of water in the room an added bonus, no trace of the strange smell mentioned in previous posts

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank George102
Reviewed 28 July 2013

We stayed overnight in this hotel to visit the sights in Rome. It took a bit to find as we were advised by metro staff to get off at Garbatella but my advice is to get off at Basilica S Paulo. Its a five to ten minute walk depending on your fitness to the hotel. After 40 degree heat walking into this air conditioned hotel was bliss. The staff speak English and are friendly and helpful. They enquired and booked a taxi for us to Ciampino and were able to keep our room well past the official room departure time. We didnt have time to check out the fitness room or swimming pool. The breakfast was a mix of cooked and continental and you could help yourself to as much as you wanted. The rooms again were air condition and very comfortable with lots of little extras like water in a fridge, complimentary slippers, and toiletries. In our corridor there were some vending machines with cold water, juice and alcoholic drinks and snacks. Also a hot drinks vending machine. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 July 2013

This is a great place to stay if you are there for business at the university. The staff were very friendly and English was no problem at all. The breakfast/coffee could use some improvement and the non-smoking rooms need to spaced further from the smoking rooms so that they do not smell like smoke (though this may have only been an issue with my room). Other than these two issues, I would recommend the hotel. It is a great value for the price.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 June 2013

chose this hotel as it was close to the university for work and in many ways I was pleased with the choice, the staff were very friendly/efficient, suites large and modern, though the first had faulty air-con, which led to a very hot night but we were moved to another the next day (no offer of help with transferring the luggage though - not good for a 4 star hotel....).
Breakfast also was not up to a 4 *, coffee & orange juice from machine's, both very poor orange juice tasted like squash, cold boiled eggs and luncheon meat, in a country which boasts the finest hams in the world ?!?
And don't turn up towards the end of breakfast service, the first morning we arrived at 9.30am only to find that the buffet looked like a swam of locust had gone over it and it wasn't replenished...
The worst thing though was the smell, a damp/sewer type smell, that built up through the day (the maids had to open the fire escape doors each morning to get rid of it) and permeated every floor, sometimes it was so bad, you had to breath through your mouth from the lift to your room and on one night it was so bad, we had to leave the windows open all night in the room to get some fresh air !
I can only think it was caused by the attached public swimming pool in the basement or possibly Rome's old sewage system, either way it wasn't good.....
And lastly a gripe that not only applies to this hotel but lots of others, when spending over 200 euros a night on a room, I expect to be allowed to keep the air-con or charging devices ON and not have the maid turning it off as soon as they have done the room, in this case first thing in the morning, leaving the room like an oven when I got back. This is not done to 'save the enviroment' (they didn't have the popular 'save a towel' sticker in the bathroom), it was just a cost cutting exercise and if that's the case reduce the room rate........

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank mvf906
OlyHotelStaff, Direttore at Oly Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2013

Dear Sir, thank you for your review and for pointing out some of the features of our hotel we are proud of: friendly and efficient staff and large and comfortable rooms, among others.
I am sorry about the air conditioning problems you have experienced in your first room but I am glad to know that we have been able to move you to another one.
I understand that you have been deceived by our breakfast but our staff would have been happy to serve you a freshly squeezed orange juice, a good cup of coffee from our Cafeteria, scrambled eggs, bacon, sausages, fresh fruits or some homemade cakes. We do our best to supply the buffet on a non-stop basis but if we are cleaning up some tables after a group has finished eating it might us take a few minutes to do it.
I do apologize for the smell that came from the roof’s sewerage system because of heavy rains and a clogged downspout. Our swimming pool is in the basement and I am quite sure that it had nothing to do with this problem.
We don’t turn the air conditioning off during the day, but only set a “comfort” temperature that usually is just a few degrees higher than the one our guests choose. Of course our staff can override the system upon request.
Thank you for your suggestion concerning the “save a towel” stickers, we never used them but it looks extremely reasonable.
I am sorry for all the problems you have experienced and I am looking forward to seeing you again in our hotel. I am sure that we will be able to show that Oly Hotel is a very nice place where to stay.
Best regards,
Andrea Nicolai

Reviewed 9 May 2013

During my traveling to Sicily, I`v stayed in Rome, in hotel Oly. It`s nice, big hotel, with comfortable, clean room, and nice bathroom. TV and fridge are inside. Staff were helpful. Breakfast was not 4 stars category, but I suppose it was the arrangement with our travel agency because of price. It was still good, Coffee was excellent. Location was not central, 15 minutes by foot to metro station, then 4 stations to Colosseum.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends