“Avoid this hotel”

Ranked #257 of 1,291 Hotels in Rome
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
“Avoid this hotel”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013

My wife and I recently stayed in the Felice hotel in Rome. Right from the very start, we realised what a terrible mistake we had made.

Firstly, there was no lift in the hotel and no one available to carry our luggage up a twisting staircase. We are in our sixties, so carrying a heavy suitcases plus hand luggage was daunting.
Nobody helped us or showed us the way to the room.

Secondly, despite being careful I was accused of knocking a picture off the wall of the staircase and then threatened with payment for the alleged damage, even though I was not in contact with the picture. One of the proprietors chased me up to my room and demanded payment of 50 Euros although I had no idea what he was talking about. He showed me a slightly scratched picture frame and told me 50 Euros would be deducted from my credit card. No discussion, no evidence of liability, no attempt to value the damage. This was a scam if ever I saw one and probably had been used to lucrative advantage before.

Thirdly, the room was small and poorly furnished with no shower or WC; we were required to wait our turn for the communal tiolet/shower which was shared by 15 other rooms. In the mornings, there was a waiting time of around 30 minutes.

Fourthly, the hotel had no dining room or kitchen facilities and we were a given a coupon and summarily waved in the direction of a rundown cafe to have our breakfast: croissant and coffee.
The employee at the desk could not even be bothered to show us where to find this cafe, despite being close by. He just waved his hand in the direction we should follow !

Fifthly, its the first time in staying in hotels around the world in over 40 years that I could not get a clean towel without having to pay for the privelidge: 2 Euros for hand towel, 4 Euros for a bath towel.

Throughout our stay, we were badgered about the alleged damage and when were leaving, they threatened us when we refused to pay for the danmage they claimed.

I strongly advise people to avoid this dreadful hotel and its management when in Rome as it really soured our visit. In conclusion, atrocious service, dishonest staff and very poor value for money.
I hope I can save others from our awful experience.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank roartyvan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Polish first
Rome, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013

Great welcome in Rome for our family holiday. Free welcome apertive on the terrace garden offered from Marco. The staff was perfect and helpfull, free deposite luggages at the check-out.
Our quintuple room was at the first floor in the back, big and very clean. The location was very good, restaurant, cafè and supermarkets close to the hotel. we have a pleasant stay at this hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Rome, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2013

We book the hotel Felice for the location and the friendly staff, and we were satisfied. we confirm the positive reviews about the staff, the Marco's advises at the reception were great. we book a standard room and for us was good, clean and comfortable. Close to the bus stops and close to the supermarkets, good idea to eat in Armando's restaurant.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2013

I found this hotel in internet about two years ago and I returning at least three times and I have recommended this hotel to my friend and my family. The3 location is very good for tourists, close to Termini station and termini metro station, also close to the bus 71. Good rooms, clean and comfortable. Professional staff at the reception on the groundfloor.

Room Tip: Room not facing to the street
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank marcoraudi45
Florence, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2013

Honestly we did not spent much time in Rome but for us this hotel was good and clean. The staff were most helpfull with directions and question, the hotel infrastructure was quite enough. Our room for 4 people was small but clean. No lift but our room was at the first floor. The location was good, close to the city center and well fournished in restaurant and supermarkets. There are a lot of students in this area and for us the area was very secure.

Room Tip: Room at the first floor.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank juliusvermet
Bologna, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2013

good hotel in Rome's downtown close to Termini train station about 5 minutes walk. Our room at the first floor was good enough clean and good size. Friendly staff at the reception desk. Next travel to Rome i'll book again there. Suggested to everyone

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank fotiroberto27
bologna
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2013

We spent a couple of days in Rome for our october's holiday.We choose the hotel felice and we were satisfied, close to termini train station, good price and very clean. Friendly staff and good location for our stay, we recommend.

• Stayed October 2013
Hotelfelice, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Felice, responded to this review, 25 October 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your kind feedback.

It has been a pleasure for us to have you as our guest in our wonderful city, please be assured I have shared your words with my team, this is what motivates us to grow and improve.