“This is a VERY GOOD place to stay”
Review of Hotel Noto

Hotel Noto
Ranked #1,082 of 1,269 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 14 October 2011

I've just come back from a school trip to Rome and Sorrento, organised through NST in the UK. We were a group of 40 senior pupils and 4 teachers. Before going, many of my pupils and indeed myself had been worried by the many negative comments on this website about the Noto. As things turned out we found them to be completely misleading. It seems to me that either the hotel has either had a complete turnaround in standards very recently or the judgement of some of the complainants has to be questioned.

All the rooms I saw were very clean, all the sheets and towels were clean too. There was no evidence of bugs of any sort. The staff were friendly and helpful both to staff and pupils.

Breakfast was the typical stuff you would expect in a hotel at this price. Juice, coffee (admittedly it was from a machine and wasn't great), cheese, meats, cereal, those chewy, morning rolls that you get throughout Italy, some spreads and a few slices of cake. My pupils, who are more used to cereal, or even, stereotypically for us, porridge, were a little wary on day one but were eating piles of the stuff the following morning.

Incidentally there seemed to be plenty of tables - there are several breakfast rooms and, early on, as one is filled the lights go on in the next one and so on. Staff were careful to point us in the right direction. There were several school trips staying as well as ourselves and 'real' people. School trips were asked to book a time for breakfast to make seating easier. Breakfast was served from 7-10. It all worked fine.

We did spot a few things about the rooms we needed fixed, such as that a couple of the safes weren't working and a few of the electrical fittings needed to be more securely fastened to the wall. We raised this at the front desk fairly late on the first night and someone came to fix most things the next day.

We did have a problem with noise from another school party but I spoke to the hotel staff and then the teachers of the group concerned and it was stopped pretty quickly. Teachers are pretty good at that.

We occupied 15 rooms and some were a little full with 4 people, two on smaller, portable beds - but not camp beds or fold out beds. Perhaps other rooms were in the state that others describe but I did walk around most of the building and did not pick up any bad or worrying smells. The rooms were furnished to a good standard, beds comfortable and no one complained of trouble sleeping. Bathrooms were fine too, although be prepared for no shower curtains or fittings for one. The whole room is tiled and there is a drain in the floor. Not what I was used to but it worked well.

The Noto is very handy for Termini station (and Republica on Linea A if you go the other way round the Baths of Diocletian and want a simpler station to navigate). Our party of 44, by then very tired, managed to walk from the Trevi fountain back to the Noto in about 30 minutes. Going slowly.

If I was in Rome to live like an emperor, away from the hustle and bustle of the city, I would pay more and stay somewhere else.

If I was looking for a reasonably priced, comfortable and friendly hotel, handy for the sights, in an area with plenty of restaurants, cafes (a very good one down the road to Termini) and bars I would have no problem with staying at the Noto again.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Iain P

Reviewed 13 October 2011

This hotel is very near the Roma Termini Station, about 5 mins walk.
20 mins from the city centre if you know how to walk. Near to some kebab stall, pizzerias and a convenient store. The neighbourhood is slightly dodgy in the evening as there are some dubious characters hanging out in the bar opposite the hotel. We have stayed in both Hotel Siracusa and Hotel Noto, given a choice, we'll stick to Siracusa for the location (room size n furnishings are on par though)

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed 7 October 2011

I stayed here for about three days at the end of September 2011. It was a HORRIBLE experience! The hotel has not been maintained well (age wise) and is just generally dirty. The bathrooms are full of mold and mildew, which makes them smell terrible and left us ill, literally. The staff is, at best, wholly disinterested and, at worst, outright rude. Particularly the gentleman who works the front desk overnight. He is generally pretty crabby if you dare to wake him from midnight naps on the lobby sofas! The hotel does have free wifi but only in the lobby and it is turned off from 11pm-8 or 9am every night.

While staying at this horrible hotel, my mother fell from an unmarked step and we had to take her to the emergency room where she was treated for a sprained knee and a fractured finger (she had to have a pin put in the finger when we returned to the States). Two other women in our traveling party almost tripped over the same step. When the husband of one the women talked to the front desk staff about the step (just as we did when my mother fell) the staff told him that the manager of the hotel knew about the step but simply refused to mark it so that it would be more visible to people walking down the hallway. Only a day later, another older woman who used a cane when walking fell over the same step!!!!!!! The staff still refused to mark it!!!!!!!!! Also, when my mother fell I went to the front desk to ask for ice for her knee and was told that the hotel did not carry ice and I would have to walk around to some of the local corner bars and ask for ice there. I went to three different bars before a restaurant finally agreed to give me less than a cup full of ice. Having walked around the neighborhood looking for ice, I can say with confidence that while centrally located (i.e. near the train station) this hotel is NOT in the best area. It quickly became clear that, as a young woman, I did not need to be walking around the neighborhood by myself whether it was day or night.

Finally, the hotel does offer breakfast but this includes old stale pastries, rotten fruit and room temperature milk and water (which makes sense since the hotel doesn't have ice!) and "fruit" juice that close to Kool-Aid than Tropicana. This hotel bills itself as centrally located and affordable. And, I know it is tempting to think you won't spend much time in the hotel since you will be out experiencing lovely Rome but the little bit of time you do spend in your dirty and moldy hotel room will be too much. Save yourself the grief and the bad Trip Advisor rating and STAY SOMEWHERE ELSE!

1  Thank W P
Reviewed 2 October 2011

I just returned from Rome and this Hotel is Gross!!! Our room Smelled like bug spray, Staff very rude and unhelpful. I would never let anyone stay here. It is in a bad part of the city and only one elevator worked. Breakfast is awful and not worth eating. Please do not book this hotel for any reason

2  Thank Danny S
Reviewed 1 October 2011

We were on a tour and stayed at this hotel for 2 nights. I was lucky because my single room was big enough in comparison with the others. Breakfasts are simple and there are very few tables so you should come earlier to sit down. Seems like a typical old Rome hotel. But of course it's location is great, very close to the center, to Termini station, to Underground. Nearly 15 min walk to the Colosseum. We spent here only nights and it was enough.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 September 2011

I can't even begin to express how bad this hotel is. A relative fell in the hallway. Staff never bothered to ask if she was ok even though we had to take her to hospital. We were told later that management knew others had fallen in the same place and simply did not care. Bathrooms are truly appalling with mold everywhere, which made us sick. Water from upstairs ran through the light fixtures from the upstairs rooms. I could go on. . . Run! - don't walk from this disgusting, run-down un-clean "estashplishment."

Room Tip: Every room I saw was gross