Hotel Lux
Ranked #736 of 1,271 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 18 November 2011

I was very unfortune having to stay at this hole for the last two nights of a contiki tour. the staff was super rude and at night don't even wear a uniforms. our check out was at 10:30, and the maids started yelling in the hall at 8 am then began hounding us from 9 am onwards to leave by coming in, calling the room and even yelling to check- out. i had been travel for 4 weeks before this contiki tour and any hostel Kills this hole. also not to
mention the Dirty sewer smell of the room.

• Stayed: November 2011
5  Thank kathrynnr

Reviewed 14 September 2011

4 stars hotel? There are far better 2 stars in the city. So If you're going to Italy, rule number 1; never trust the stars. I was stuck in that hotel for 2 days because I was with a tour but later we moved to another hotel just next door of Lux (not giving name), It was much better.

In hotel Lux, you don't get extra pillows, If you are thirsty you have to walk 2 or 3 streets to the market. And in a double room someone has to be on the bed so the other can stand in the room or turn around 360°.

In short, listen to what others comment here and stay away from that hotel and never book a hotel without actually seeing the rooms first hand.

Room Tip: See the rooms yourself before booking. Do not trust the stars.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank sevenos
Reviewed 26 May 2011

I went there with my mother and it was supposed to be our trip to remember. But...
The room had no separated beds, so we had to sleep together. They also gave us one sheet for both of us, so I had to ask for an extra sheet! The bed had very dirty cover, which I immediately took off and put it in a tiny closet together together with their dirty pillows (we brought our own pillows thanks to previous reviews on TripAdvisor). Nevertheless, every day the cleaning lady took them out of the closet and put it back on the bed. It was disgusting! The room itself was so small that we barely put our bags inside. Ofcourse, unpacking was out of question, because of lack of space.
The bathroom was disgusting: The shower cabin was falling apart and full of mold. The toilet bowl was just like on the picture that somebody attached on this web site previously.
Breakfast: Dirty and old cutlery, bread from yesterday, ham good for rats maybe... O yeah, not to forget salty coffee...
The staff was very polite and alyaws at service... until the last day. Then they told us that we had to leave our rooms not later than 10 am, athough it was written on the info sheet in the room that we could stay until noon. When I complained, they said nothing...
Air condition: in late may it is very hot in Rome, so the temperature in our room was 28 C. When I realized that the air condition could only heat and not cool, they told me that they will allow cooling from June 1st!
Neigborhood: not so good, maybe even dangerous!
Don't stay there. If nothing rent an appartment, it will be better.

• Stayed: May 2011
4  Thank Slavica_11
Reviewed 8 May 2011

When I got there the entrance and lobby area was delightful, but the rooms were a whole other story! I shared my room with a friend, which was very cramped. There was two single beds very close to each other, too close for my liking, although they were comfy. My friend found a medium-sized stain on the underneath of her pillow, showing the cleanliness. There was a small wardrobe which we had to squeeze past to open because of a desk. However, the bathroom was alright. There was complimentary soap and shampoo but the shower was a tad small. Let's just say, i had to turn off the shower to put shower gel on. The view from the room, was basically a wall, showing a mop and bucket on the floor. The location was pretty good, a 10 minute walk to the Roma Termini, which can take you anywhere in Rome. It's a half hour walk to the majority of the sites such as: spanish steps and the Colosseum. Watch out for those pick-pocketers in Rome!

Room Tip: Try to get a second floor room.
  • Stayed: April 2011
2  Thank holidays186460
Reviewed 2 March 2011

We had only 2 nights in Rome and had our booking in another hotel (3*), which was also nearby Termini. On the check in day we were told that our hotel had temporary problem with water supply, but we would have a room in alternative hotel, same quality around the corner. That was LUX hotel. When has taxi dopeed us there we were nicely surprized to see that this was 4 star hotel and were excited by that only fact...But later when we went to our room were were surprised even more when we dicovered that room was too small for the hotel of that category, bathroom was small and awfull and not really clean. Double bad was not really double but rather 1.5 person size. Night was cold and we were searching for tha blanket in the room and found one in the wardrobe, but it was so old and dirty like it has never been washed. I went to the reception and asked to change the blanket but the guy on the reception could not undrestand what I was talking about and first brought me a sheet but not blanket , finally we managed to understand each other. But the replacement was not even better, at least it was a clean blanket but also like 20 years old. TV did not work, in the morning my husband got angly cause he counld not close door of the shower cabin and then shower held down and hit his to the head once he turned the water. I was also not lucky when I turned on the hair dryier and the pipe was broken from the main body . Breakfast...this is another story deserving another 10 minutes typing. I used to stay in 2 starts hotels in different cities like Amsterdam and London, but the breakfasts there were much better and fresh and you can not even compare with lux breakfast in that lux 4 star hotel. I really wonder how ministry of tourism could confirm they are 4 stars? I specifically checked this form, which is attaced in every room cause I could not belive my eyes I was staying in 4 start hotel and I though I was mistaken, but indeed the form for 2011 was saing this was 4 star hotel and was proved by the authority stamp.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank alwaysblond
Reviewed 29 August 2010

The hotel it was not a 4 star hotel..our room it was very very small, the same with the bathroom..We stay there for 3 nights and the second day we didn't have hot water for shower..the other two days the water presure it was low and it wasn't easy to take a shower. A good suprice it was the breakfast, it was very good..not a 4start breakfast but it was good!!Not very friendly staff, they did'nt speak english..they did'nt care about the problem with the water.

• Stayed: July 2010
Reviewed 19 July 2010

I stayed at Hotel Lux for 3 nights as part of a large group. I was given a single room which was as small as a closet and with a view of a wall from my window. Feeling immediately claustrophobic, I asked the hotel for another room. Very apologetically, they offered me a more spacious double room with a balcony which was a big improvement! Although by far not luxurious, I found the hotel very clean and pleasant with very polite and accommodating staff.

• Stayed: July 2010