“Great hotel, great location, great city break!”
Review of Hotel Center 1

Hotel Center 1
Ranked #1,126 of 1,267 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 17 April 2014

After reading a few reviews about this hotel at first I was in two minds, after all I personally did not chose the hotel, we were reallocated by our hotel company to this hotel after some mess up at a different hotel. So I was really sceptical, I was really worried that we'd end up in some horrible room, in a horrible part of the city & would be really disappointed.
HOWEVER...
We arrived in Rome early from our flight, we knew check-in was not until about 2pm, but we thought we would go to the hotel just to drop off our bags. After walking about 15/20mins from the Termini station, we arrived at the hotel at around 10:30am. On the outside, looks very nice & inviting. Stepped into the reception area, it was nice, décor was nice etc & was greeted by a nice receptionist. Gave our details etc, & then surprisingly she told us our room was ready. She passed us the key, we went to our room, situated just off the reception area. As I put the key in the door I held my breath, after all the reviews I was expecting something terrible...
WOW, I was amazed with the room. We had a twin/double room, the room was very clean & looked newly refurbished. It was lovely! It was reasonably sized, TV & mini fridge. Bathroom was also a good size.
Breakfast was served on the top floor about 7am-10am. Continental, ham, cheese, scrambled egg, selection of croissants, cereal, tea, coffee & juice...but it was just what you needed to start the day in my opinion. No qualms about breakfast.
We stayed for 4nights, peaceful sleeps. The other reviews mentioned about hearing the trams go by outside. Personally we heard the trams but it was not loud enough to disturb us, maybe this depends on where your room is situated? There was only 1 problem about being in a room just off the reception area, the noise from other guests checking-in/out, but once again, not enough to keep you up all night.
In regards to the walk from the Termini station, at first is was a little daunting, it is part of the city that appears a bit scary, but we had no problems. We found it better to take the Metro from another station nearby (Manzoni) & the walk to/from here was pleasant, plus it was a little bit shorter than the walk to/from Termini.
We had a great stay, no complaints, no problems & was extremely happy with the hotel, staff & service from start to finish. If you are use the Hilton or Radisson hotels then of course this isn't the place for you, but if you are just looking for a clean, nice, friendly hotel then I definitely recommend Hotel Centre 1. Please do not be put off by the other reviews.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Hannah W
There are newer reviews for Hotel Center 1

Reviewed 17 March 2014

We found this hotel at the hotel information booth in the airport. It was 100 Euros a night for 3 people (3 single beds in one room). We were able to pay for a shuttle from the airport to the hotel. The room was ok. In Rome, it's probably a fair price for a place to sleep. They did ask for 6 Euros per person for an additional tax when we got there. I saw someone else posted that they were also asked for an additional 6 Euros which was never quoted in the original price.

This is a very mixed review. I have to say we did stay 2 nights and were going to stay a 3rd night but they didn't have any rooms. The guests seem to be a mix of young kids/students as well as middle age and older people.

The rooms are clean; I felt comfortable and safe in the rooms although I would have felt better with a more solid door and lock. It just seemed so flimsy; in the U.S. we would have had a deadbolt on the door making you feel more secure.

The walls and doors are thin so you can hear people in the rooms while you're in the hallway. The door wasn't attached to our refrigerator - I'm not sure it even worked - we didn't try to use it. There was a hole in the bathroom door as if someone hit it with something (it didn't go all the way through the door). The keys have the room number and hotel name on them meaning if you lose your keys anyone can go in your room because they know the hotel and room. The beds were hard to sit on but I had no problem sleeping on them (which I didn't expect).

They advertise being close to the central train station which they are but it's a 5 minute walk through not the best area - I wouldn't do it alone at night. Not that I saw anything but it's just a run down area in spots (including a dead cat and urine odor among the garbage); other spots seemed nice.

Be careful at the train station. My brother was scammed for 30 Euros one night and had his wallet stolen twice in the same day on the Metro (the first time they threw it back at him after taking the money, the second time he didn't get it back). Both times they caused a commotion that distracted him meanwhile they were taking his wallet out of his pocket, including his front pocket one time. They seem to be experts at pick pocketing. I would stay away from the Metro. The police don't care (we tried to report the stolen wallet).

I didn't see it but my brother and daughter saw a prostitute near the hotel when we got out of the taxi at midnight. During the day, the neighborhood appears to be great and my new favorite restaurant, La Taverna Italiano, is a couple blocks down the street.

The trains didn't bother me and I didn't hear them at night. I saw some reviews saying the trains ran all night. I didn't experience that.

The breakfast wasn't that great. They close at 10am on the nose so don't be late. The bread and croissants were delicious.They have different croissants each time. The chocolate ones were very good and I wasn't expecting to like a chocolate filled croissant.The orange juice was full of sugar and watery. The eggs were blah unless you piled salt on them. They had ham and cheese which I didn't try. The milk for the cereal was so warm I couldn't eat it.

Internet is not including in the price. When we checked in they gave us a price for a limited number of hours. Later we overheard them tell a customer it was 10 Euros for a day. This was not told to us when we checked in; we were only given the limited number of hours option. We didn't get the internet so I don't know how the service was.

The desk was always very helpful and answered all our tourist questions. They held our bags the last day for us after we checked out.

Room Tip: If you don't like elevators stay on the bottom or 1st floor and use the stairs. The elevator is...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Meghanizer
Reviewed 18 February 2014

we just came back from Rome and our 3 nights stay at Hotel Center 1..i have to admit that we were a little on edge after reading some dreadfull reviews about the hotel but it turned out everything was ok..we arrived late in the afternoon and were greeted at the reception by Carlo who was very polite and helpfull..the room we were given was 713.we went upstairs to the first floor and it was like walking into a room from a horror film..destroyed walls depressing room and two cots instead of beds..wow..something is very wrong here..we immediately went down to the reception and Carlo gave us another room on the ground floor..he said that the hotel was under renovation and that not all rooms had been renovated yet..so he gave us 703 which was new..two beds together instead of a double but still very comfortable..
lcd tv,fridge and ac...bathroom was small but ok..if you are a light slleper you will have a problem..the walls are very thin and there is some noise every now and then from the tram going by outside..
breakfast on the 4th floor is ok for the money you pay..there is omellete,ham ,cheese cereal coffee tea and juice and some very tasty croissants...but make sure you go early cause sometimes they run out..there is no free internet access but you can buy a scratch card for 3 euros and go online for an hour either from the desktop in the lobby or wifi from your phone..there are also two vending machines..
now for the issue of safety in the neighbourhood...we experienced absolutely no problems walking to and from the hotel..the streets are all well lit at night ..the nearest metro Manzoni which is 5 minutes walk from the hotel..from there its 8 minutes to the city center (piazza di spagna,fontana di trevi etc) and about 15-20 minutes to Ottaviano station at the Vatican..metro tickets are 1,5 euro valid for 100 minutes ..
the street to avoid late at night is the part of Giovani Giolliti (the street of the hotel) which is high up close to the Termini station..there is some immigrant hooker action there but its just what you see around every major train station anywhere in the world late at night..during the day everything is fine..you can walk from Termini to the hotel just fine (about 15-20 minutes walk with luggage)..
the pleasent secret surprise very close to the hotel is the San Lorenzo district which is 5 minutes walk from the hotel ..as you exit the hotel go left and then right in the underpass..San Lorenzo is the university of Rome district and is full of little restaurants and cafes filled with students and young people..its a very convenient place to eat near the hotel if you are tired to go downtown..
overall our experience of the hotel was ok..you get what you pay for..
Rome is very beautiful and you will spend the whole day outdoors anyway...
I hope this review was helpfull ... enjoy your visit to Rome

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank bodhigramyo
Reviewed 11 January 2014 via mobile

We was staying for one night and we find the hotel nice and clean but not the quality which we expect for hotel in Rome.Room is good size but was so dark cos it was blinder on the window and if open it get so noisy from outside train and cars.Breakfast was not so bad.i recomend to pay little bit more money and go somewhere else.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 December 2013

Nothing fancy but very adequate hotel. Pros: friendly, pleasant and very helpful staff especially front desk personnel and breakfast lady. Very reasonable price for Rome. Very good breakfast for Rome. easy access to public transportation--proximity to Manzoni Metro station and Termini. variety of restaurants near by. Cons: no free wifi (5 euro for 3 hours or 10 for the duration of your stay). somewhat outdated facility, tram noise (but not too bad), no temperature control in your room (but you can get the front desk to adjust it)

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank 808MikeN
Reviewed 2 November 2013

I fund this please to be good value for rome. My room was small but very functional breakfast was excellent by roman standards everything was there - more so if you got up early! It was difficult to find if you weren't coming from termini, but not too bad. This hotel is very functional, definitely not luxurious but excellent value. My only negative point would be that staff on the desk had very poor level of language skills. I speak Italian so this wasn't a problem for me but I saw other people struggling.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 October 2013 via mobile

We had 2 nights in the hotel.it was easy to find from the trai station is like 10 min
walk the area is not the best but good for sleep in city break breakfast was simple good the staff was good as well

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple