“Good stay but no on site reception”
Review of Conte House I

Conte House I
Ranked #729 of 1,257 Hotels in Rome
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
“Good stay but no on site reception”
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Three years ago, while traveling through Italy by myself, I stayed at the Conte House and absolutely loved it. It's good accomodations for the price you pay, nice location, clean, and safe. When I was planning to take my family back this past spring, I was excited share my experience with Conte House with them. While I have no complaints with the room: it was still nice and clean and well maintained, we did have difficulty with the fact there was no 24 hour reception on site. Due to arriving early, we got the keys to our room quickly (indeed we had to wait downstair for someone to come and let us in) and since we spent 7:00- 10:00 out wandering the streets of Rome we never saw anyone to go through the formal registration process. Conte House is a nice stay, but be aware that there isn't reception on site and be sure to keep lines of communication between you and the staff open should your plans change.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Lindsay S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 26 May 2013 via mobile

Our stay at Conte House was a very pleasant surprise to what we had imagined! Upon our arrival the staff was very accommodating, despite our lack of proficiency in the Italian language. The abundance of staff also ensured that the facility and bedrooms were spotless. Breakfast was more than enough for the price we were paying and whatever we needed, the staff was at our service. We even asked for an ironing board and the staff ended up doing the ironing for us (which was more than generous). Not to mention the location was perfect, just a five minute walk from the colosseum! If you're looking to save a bit of money when staying in Rome, I highly recommend staying at Conte House.

• Stayed May 2013
Saltburn-by-the-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 April 2013

We absolutely loved this place. From the moment we arrived, the staff couldn't do enough for us. Our room was wonderful and just perfect for our requirements for a 4 night stay in Rome! The breakfasts were lovely and there was plenty of it, you could each basically as much as you needed. The atmosphere was so chilled out and relaxed. Our kids loved the sweet bowl. Rooms cleaned daily. We also liked the fact that our room had double glazed windows. This was brill as we were on a main street, it kept the noise out amazingly well! My daughter described it as 'Our hometel!' (That speaks for itself doesn't it?)The location was excellent, close to the bus station termini and the Colosseum was also a stones throw away plus most other amenities were within walking distance. We found Rome an amazing experience with the Conte House a big part of our fantastic stay. Many thanks to all the staff for making this an unforgettable holiday. We would love to return someday and will recommend it to our friends.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Julia R
Edmonton
Reviewed 10 January 2013

Word of advice: Don't stay here. If you are paying cheap, find something cheaper. If you value your accommodations, pay a bit more and stay at Hotel Lodi. My friend and I had booked this place early on but on the day we got there they moved us to a different apartment called my Home B&b. The staff was extremely shady, insisting that it was similar and they owned both properties. Once she led us to the 2nd property she went about to take our money before showing our room. BIG MISTAKE. Room was tiny, a double bed was pretty much the size of the room. You had to squeeze to make sure you got around the bed to the other side. Also, they never gave any type of discount for this change, especially for a room that should probably be worth 30 euros/night. (Check it out on google) Wifi did not work well, showers did not drain, breakfast was cheap toast/cheese/ham which was the same everyday. Save your stomach and eat out cause it definitely was not worth it. Coffee was....I could make better coffee at home. It is 15 minutes at least walking wise to get to the Colosseum. Metro was 3 blocks away. Also, someone was smoking in our hostel which is against the law but even though staff were notified, they did NOTHING. They didn't even come to check it out. The rooms face the street which is pretty heavy on traffic. LOUD. Staff were only there to display the breakfast then never to be seen again.
Save your money. Go elsewhere.

Room Tip: Don't bother.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank George F
Contehouse, Proprietario at Conte House I, responded to this review, 13 January 2013
Hi, thank you for your comment, I'm the owner of Conte House and I'm really sorry if you did not enjoy your stay and I'd like to reply to some of the points you highlighted.
First of all the person you mentioned does not work for us anymore - as we notices his behavior was not polite.
The breakfast we serve our customer is a rich buffet with a mixed kind of food (croissant, jam, milk, american coffee, tea, yogurt, butter, chocolate, bread, cheese, fresh tomatoes and ham) suitable for Italian and foreign guests who are free to choose whatever and whenever they want from 7:45 am to 10 am.
The wifi connection is not charged and works properly - obviously depending on the number of guests that are using it: New Year's Eve we where fully booked - so maybe that was the problem. But the connection is also available on our desktop in the hall, where you can find a computer, and where all guests can use the fridge, kitchen, tv, etc.
All the rooms have been insulated and restyled 8 months ago (we replaced all the windows, bathrooms).
We are in a very central street in Rome, and this is something we're proud of - but we also know that it's impossible to spend a quiet night during the New Year's Eve. That sounds very strange for us as no other guest gave us this feedback during that period.
We ask our customers to pay in advance because we do not have a person on site 24/24 but we try to be there as more as possible.
Anyway thank you for your feedback: we're always trying to improve and get better and better.
London
Reviewed 15 November 2012

we had reserved on ensuite specifically at Conte House and we ended up in "My Apartments" 100M down the road. the room was a bit shoddy considering the price. our washroom was outside of the room, not great at night when the hall light comes on at 5am so you can unlock your washroom. Location is good though, right in the heart of Rome. The staff are very helpful and friendly which does make up for it.

Room Tip: ask specifically where you're staying.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sandra N
Cumbria
Reviewed 8 October 2012

It had a good location about 10-15 minutes to get into the centre. It was however more like staying in a B&B than a hostel, if you are travelling and wanting to meet people I would avoid, however as I came for a holiday with my boyfriend it was perfect.
Staff were very polite, breakfast was basic but did the job, having AC was brilliant as was free wifi. Even though is a by a busy the the windows block out all the noise which is great, so is the lift! The hostel was very secure needing keys to get into the building and the hostel unlike some places I've stayed.
Rooms were clean and our sheets were changed during the course of our stay. I would return!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank flossyjossy
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 1 September 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at Conte House for 3 nights while in Rome. We were backpacking europe for five weeks and this was by far one of the best places we stayed.

Prior to arrival the staff were thorough in emailing us and ensuring that someone would be available when we arrived to check in. We came from the train station and the building was easy to find and a comfortable walking distance from the terminal. The building is a converted apartment building and feels safe and secure. It is in a great area with easy access to absolutely everything.

Check in was quick and easy, we were offered beverages as it was hot that day. Our room was large and comfortable. A private bathroom, towels and everything we needed. Our accomodations were mostly just a place to sleep but we felt very welcome here.

Breakfast was simple but included so it was great to have something to get us started every morning. The price was well worth everything that we got. It was quiet at all times and the staff were always more then happy to help or offer assistance and suggestions.

We would both recommend conte house for those budget travelling or back packing. It is well worth the price and all major sites can be walked to from it's ideal location.

Thank you to the fantastic staff, we loved our stay and absolutely adored our experience in Rome!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple