“Not so bad”
Review of Siracusa Hotel

Siracusa Hotel
Ranked #932 of 1,269 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 16 April 2012

My husband and I have just returned from Rome. We stayed in this hotel because our travel agency had put us in. It is right across the train station Termini and is extremely noisy unless you get a side room. There were several groups of children from Spain and Italy who were parting all night, slamming the door and shouting. There was a weird smell in the room. Maybe it is because the hotel is very old. But the best is the location. Everything is within reach in no time. Metro is across the street, Via Nazionale is five minutes away, you can walk and enjoy Rome. Breakfast was average, but you do not come to Rome to eat in a hotel. So we didn't mind. There are much better hotels in Rome, but this one is not the worst, though the room per night for two persons costs 115E. I have the impression that there are cheaper hotels on the same locaton.

Room Tip: Higher floors are less noisy and are not so dark. Pick the side room.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Nada D

Reviewed 24 March 2012

I stayed here because this is the hotel my Contiki tour had put us in.
First of all, they need to work on their cleaning, I happened to drop my sweat shirt on the floor in this Lobby area on the 1st floor, I picked it up and it was completely covered in dust, like it hadn't been swept in a year.
The room was great! Very spacious. The bathroom was small but was handy to have a heated towel rail considering it was winter. My only issue with the bathroom is that the shower was tiny! It was a corner shower and half the entrance of the shower was blocked by the corner of the sink being in the way so you had to squeeze around the sink and step around the toilet to get into it. Also there were no shelves in the shower to put your soap yet barely enough room to bend over to pick up your shampoo bottle that you had to put on the floor!
Location of the hotel was good, right across the road from the Termini train station and also lots of places to eat. Probably wouldn't recommend walking around the back of the hotel, poorly lit, dodgy people loitering about and looked like the ghetto. Kind of enjoyed the church bells chiming at 7am and later in the day.
Hotel staff were friendly apart from the waitress in the breakfast room who would stand there and watch over us like a hawk. it made for very uncomfortable dining.
One other thing that bothered me is that my room mate and I were asleep in our room down the corner end of a corridor, when at 3am someone came stomping down the corridor straight up to our door and started jiggling the door handle and then quickly left when the door didn't open. They didn't even try to use a key. Thankfully we remembered to lock the door!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Nes005
Reviewed 2 March 2012

Not exactly the kind of hotel you'll wanna stay in after a long flight. This hotel is old and there's a musky smell in the room. Thankfully, we were only there for a night. However there are quite a number of eateries nearby and the Roma Termini train station is just right opposite the hotel, where you could not only purchase train tickets, you could also buy bus tickets to the Castel Romano outlet store.

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed 26 February 2012

great location - easy to get back too as you are right next to the train station. My room was a little worn but spotless. It was a bit noisy when young people were partying in neighbouring room and moving though the corridors - but it was not a big deal,still fell asleep just fine. My room was a single with a double bed on the 6th floor. Clean sheets, clean room, safe that worked and loads of towels. Shower kept going really hot and cold - every few seconds. Good breakfast room for groups. Breakfast was fine - not wow - but simple cheese/ham/croissants/juce and coffee. TBH - I have no idea how much it costs to stay here - but if the rooms are cheap- then you should have a really pleasant stay. If the rooms are costly, find somewhere else.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank HolidayHayley
Reviewed 4 October 2011

This hotel was dirty, old, noisy and the service was terrible. The beds are like old cots, with holes in the bedspreads and sheets. There is no shower curtain in the bathrooms so the entire bathroom gets soaked when you shower. The AC leaked in our room right onto the bed so we had to move rooms mid-stay to another old, gross room. Stay away from this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank Kim G
Reviewed 12 September 2011

I'm 18 years old and I stayed at this hotel in Rome with my mom from August 13-16 2011. Let me start my review by saying that the location is just wonderful. It is directly across the street from the Termini train station, so you never have to worry about getting lost in Rome. Just find any bus stop and for 1 euro you'll take the bus to Termini. The location is phenomenal. And for a quick word of advice to anyone who wants a great grocery store in Rome, on the lower level of the train station there is a huge supermarket. It's definitely the place to get any food or drinks you want very cheap. Moving onto the actual hotel...personally as long as there is working a/c and water and a bed, that constitutes a good hotel to me. I'm not very picky and I didn't go to Rome to hang out in a hotel room. The hotel room was a good size and the bathroom was a surprisingly good size for Europe. The shower was very small though. The staff weren't the friendliest people ever though, but when I needed to make a phone call, they helped me. One thing that disappointed me was that there was no WIFI at the hotel. Overall, I loved Rome and I thought that Hotel Siracusa was a great hotel that met all our needs. I would recommend 100% simply because the location made traveling around Rome a breeze at all hours of the day and night.

Room Tip: Choose a room that doesn't face the train station because it will be a LOT quieter.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank julesgrl215
Reviewed 15 August 2011

my friend and I, both 21 years old, stayed here from 6th-13th August 2011 as our hotel went into liquidation and our travel agent arranged this one for us. came onto trip advisor and read the reviews and was absolutely horrified and dreading my stay here.

i'm going to be as honest as possible, and for the record although we are 21, our standards of cleanliness, safety noise etc are high. when we first arrived we checked in and headed up to our room 207. the lift was absolutely tiny it was a struggle getting ourselves and two cases into the lift. we arrived at our room and although it was small, we did a once over of the bathroom and bedsheets and they were clean. in the cupboard there was also a safety deposit box, which we were glad of.

**positives**
clean room, comfortable bed, good location for reaching termini station (its just across the road), our room had a balcony which was nice for sitting looking out and hanging towels out to dry, no noise (there was a loud american family next door but we only really heard them during the day once or twice) staff were friendly enough to us, clean towels and maid service every day. good powerful warm shower. on our day of departure, check out was 12midday but our flight wasn't until later so we asked if the staff could keep our bags and this was no problem. they lock it away in a room for you until you need to go to the airport!

**negatives**
when someone flushes the toilet in another room or somewhere in the hotel, we heard a rush of water as if it was going down a pipe, sounded like torrential rain outside, the shower has no curtain like everyone has mentioned therefore when you take a shower, the bathroom will end up soaked. the maids do give you plenty of towels tho so it can be easily dried. our safe broke on the thursday so we had to lock our valuables away in our cases.

cant give an opinion of breakfast as we were never up in time to eat, breakfast was 7am-10am! also, although they never bothered us, there are a few homeless people who hang around termini station, so be careful.

this hotel is by no means the Ritz, but it is not as bad as some people are making it out on their reviews. Our room was one with a balcony, not all rooms have this. this hotel is fine if all you want is a base for your time in rome. it is also located just down the street from the Terravision bus service which takes you to the airport.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends