“Worst Service I've Ever had”
Review of Novotel Roma Eur

Novotel Roma Eur
Ranked #240 of 1,273 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 26 July 2014

So far, I've been to three Novotel hotels. Two in Italy (Genoa and Rome) and one in France. I also have a gold account with the Accor group, which mean's I've stayed many nights in a lot of their hotels. This is the worst I've ever been to. First of all, the picture is very deceptive. The hotel is a lot smaller than it looks. It's also next to almost nothing. It's next to a Microsoft office building and about 2 blocks away is the mall, but other than that, you'd have to take the bus or taxi to get to the city center. A taxi will cost you about 40 euros to the train station in the city center.

However, my issue with this hotel is not really the location but the service. I had booked 4 rooms for 11 people with one of them having a free breakfast for 4 nights. Upon check-in they told me that none of the rooms come with breakfast. As I have just traveled 8 hours to get there, I chose to take their word for it. Two days later I finally had a chance to check my e-mails and saw (my reservation e-mail) that I do have one of the rooms set-up to have a free breakfast so I went back to the front desk to point it out. The girl at the front desk agreed with me, and even said it was their fault but no apology was forthcoming. I asked if they will cover the days that we did not get and her response was no since we did not eat there on those days (the fact that we didn't eat there because she told me the breakfast wasn't covered seems to have escaped her mind). But no matter, I pointed out that we ate there on the second day, but she insisted that only two people can be reimbursed (even though the room has 4 people and it's supposed to cover 4) since only two paid with cash and I and my companion who was in a different room doesn't count. By the way, all the reservations were under my name.

Anyway, my pointing this out seems to have triggered some sort of warning to the rest of the staff because the next day, the restaurant staff (at the door) insisted that I sign a note agreeing to the price of my breakfast before I've even had them. When I asked him if this was normal, he said no and when I refused he called the front desk personnel over. I had the same discussion with her, and she claimed that they ask when they are not busy (they were not busy the day before and did not ask either). I asked her if it was necessary to sign before I receive service and she said no, so I told her I will sign after I've had the breakfast. I also told her that I'm offended and once again no apology came (even though my companions asked for one). After breakfast, as I'm walking towards the register, the restaurant staff at the door pushed the bill and a pen towards me even before I had reached the desk. I paid with a 20 euro bill (the breakfast was 14) and he gave me changed in small coin increments. By the way, the breakfast was not even worth it. They basically served toast (if you make it in time), scrambled eggs (made from powdered eggs), slices of salami, ham, and cheese. One day they had motzarella and tomatoes the other none. The juice machine was equally inconsistent. The fresh fruits are only there if you're earl enough and if not you get 2 kinds of fruits. They're only saving grace was the coffee machine (as it doesn't run out) but they do run out of cups. Long story short, if you're expecting a hearty breakfast, don't eat here. I've had to force people to go to breakfast the last day (for the included breakfast) just out of principle, but no one really wanted to go. On that very same day, our my hotel room did not get cleaned.

With regards to the other rooms, one of the rooms that we received flooded after they took a shower and so they had to move to a different room. The restaurant at night is good but was very expensive. The room itself is ok but the bed is lumpy. They do have bigger bathrooms here than in the other Novotels. Anyway, I will only book my enemies on this hotel right before a big battle but I will definitely not come back here again.

3  Thank Celeste J

Reviewed 24 July 2014

Stayed at this hotel for 4 days for work in July 2014. The room was quite spacious for a single person although the floor looked a bit dirty. There was no carpet on it and seemed very hard and comfortable. The room air conditioner did not work to my liking all the days of my stay and hence stayed mostly warm and uncomfortable. changing the thermostat made no impact at all. However the staff was quite friendly in general and helpful.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 July 2014

The rooms are fine and well equiped and the spaces are right but the service for meals and breakfast are absolutely not a 4 stars quality. Breakfast is poor and low quality, People at the reception Service are kind but one person in the morning is noit enough and the timing for checking out is too long

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Room overall look was excellent.. There was a delay in check in .Break fast was pretty bad .Service at breakfast counter was very bad and they were not refilling basic necessities such as bread, Juice , etc etc

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Reviewed 17 July 2014

The Wi-Fi was so slow at times it was basically unusable. The room was €72 a night for two people which I thought was a great value. It has free parking, which I took advantage of. I did not get breakfast with my room. There is a nearby place called Cafe Made at Viale Dell' Oceano Indiano 1 which locals go to and they have €1 cappucinos and pastries for less than €1. It is about a 10 minute walk. This hotel is about 1 mile from a subway station. I made the walk through the odd Mussolini driven suburb of E.U.R. and kind of interesting to see the fascist symbolism and architecture. You can also take a bus to the subway stop from the hotel. The E.U.R. Palasport subway station is the one to go to. The front desk can help you with that. You can buy all day Rome metro passes for €6 that include subway, street cars, and buses. The hotel rooms were large and modern looking. The shower head was extremely large and kind of fun. The room also included a bidet. I thought this place was a great base for visiting Rome. I walked to the subway station, got around Rome by subway and walking, and came back. Also on Sunday I drove around Rome with my car since the ZTL is not in effect on Sundays. There were balconies but there is not much privacy on them.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 July 2014

My stay at the Novotel Rom Eur was wonderful. It is away from the hustle and bustle of Rome and my room had a nice balcony. The staff were really friendly and very welcoming. I have restrained from giving it 5 starts only because the choices at breakfast were not so great. However I think this is because of my high standards coming from English breakfasts. All in all I would recommend this hotel.

Review collected in partnership with Novotel Hotels