“Friendly family run hotel”
Review of Hotel Golden

and 1 more site!
Hotel Golden
Ranked #18 of 1,271 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 11 April 2011

We stayed at the Hotel Golden for a week in April. Giuseppe and Marco were very helpful from the start, pointing out places of interest, where to eat and gave invaluable information about public transport. The hotel is in a quiet area however it is easy to reach the centre of town which is great but equally good to leave it behind and retire to a lovely quiet room. It is within walking distance of the Spanish Steps and there is an excellent shuttle bus (116), around the corner that takes you to the heart of town. The Spagna metro is within easy reach at the top of Via Veneto via an underground passageway where you will also find the excellent Carrefour supermarket. The rooms are very nicely decorated and spotless. There is air conditioning, a TV and a fridge in the room. The hotel is on the first floor of a building and so you are let in at the door- this all added to the sense of security. The breakfast is a buffet and the selection is excellent. The food was varied, fresh and there was lots of coffee. We had a great time and will definitely return when we revisit Rome.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 11 April 2011

We really enjoyed our stay at Hotel Golden. The location was very good in proximity to the attractions -- just a 10-20 minute walk to all the big attractions, but far enough away that you didn't feel stuck in the middle of a tourist trap, which we liked. The Via Veneto neighborhood is very nice and quiet, but there are still plenty of restaurants around the hotel so you can come back for a late afternoon nap and roll out of bed to find plenty of options for the post-7:30 pm dining schedule that Italy is on. The staff is very helpful, but not overly friendly -- but they are not cold by any means. I think they are just typical Romans. They answer your questions and get you what you need in a very courteous manner and then they leave you alone. The breakfast buffet was very good every morning. Free WIFI. The cable TV was a little screwed up in our room, but we didn't mind that as much because we brought a travel DVD player for the moments we just wanted to kick back. But be aware that you will need the right adapter for their outlets. The regular EU 2-prong adapter only fit in 1 outlet (in the bathroom) -- you need the 3-prong adapter (where all 3-prongs are in a straight row). This was the only hotel on our trip through Munich-Salzburg-Florence-Rome where we needed the 3-prong. Other than that, it was a great hotel and I would go back!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 April 2011

We stayed at Hotel Golden in March 2011 with a party of 8 including 2 teenagers and 2 young children. The family suite that Guiseppe and Marco recommended worked like a charm and allowed the children the time out they needed without feeling like they were stuck in a hotel room. Both Guiseppe and Marco were fabulous at providing advice on where to eat ( particularly given the ZARand and Euro exchange rates), sights to see and where to shop. They also recommended a transfer company who gave us a fantastic rate that included pick up from the airport, transfer to the port in Civitavecchia and then from the port back to the airport. The rates were excellent, Carlos was absolutely punctual and his service excellent ( he even drove back to the port to give my husband his jacket, the only one he carried on the trip).
Breakfast was fabulous with a variety of foods from eggs and bacon to croissants, cookies, a variety of cakes, fresh fruit, a vast variety of cheeses and cold meats and wonderful coffee.
The rooms were impeccably clean and the staff went out of there way to assist, making our stay a wonderful one. Thank you for your effort. We will certainly use the Hotel Golden again and recomment it to others.

Room Tip: The family suite is excellent for children
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 April 2011

This hotel stay was an absolute disaster!! Our first visit to Rome, we researched hotels on this site and saw the positive reviews for the Hotel Golden. We booked a triple room for 4 nights. My wife, our 16 year-old daughter and I arrived on 4/4/2011 at app. 7:30 pm. We slept on a queen bed, my daughter slept on a convertible settee. My daughter awoke at 7:30 am with large and painful insect bites on her arm, shoulder, and face that were not there when she went to bad. We complained to the owner immediately, showed him the bites, and he just shrugged his shoulders!! He said the hotel was full and refused us a refund. We were forced to leave the hotel for a last minute, much more expensive one. My daughter had to get topical medication and was very uncomfortable for the rest of our trip! I really had high hopes for this hotel, but what a disappointment!!!

Room Tip: Stay out unless you want bug bites!!!
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
13  Thank TuffysDad
Reviewed 8 April 2011

This hotel is small but service is excellent. It is run by a family who
will do their best to help you in every aspect of your stay.
First of all you can reserve with them a car from Fiumicino (send an email
like at least a week before arriving), which will cost you a fixed amount
of around 40 euros. My advise is for you to take the hotel number and call
them once you have left the airport, since, due to parking regulations
there, the drivers will not be able to leave the car unattended for a long
period of time. You just call the hotel when you are ready to be taken from
the airport, they will get in touch with the driver and he will appear
instantly.
When I got to the hotel and since it was very early, I still couldn't check
in. However I was offered to have breakfast (great by the way), when it was
not really something that I had paid for. All maps and references were
provided very kindly and when I came back at noon I could check in. The
hotel is very conveniently located. I walked from there everywhere and when
I left I rented a car at Avis, which is two blocks away. Room is small but
very clean and really quiet, while I have had opposite experiences in
similar types of hotels. Hundreds and hundreds of TV channels including non
Italian spoken (not usually found in Italy). If you do not have a computer
with you they will lend you theirs located at the reception.
My only truly concern for the family is that they sometimes seem
overwhelmed. I believe it is too much work and maybe it would be good to
employ more external staff so everyone can take a longer break. I know it
would then not be so much of a familiar run hotel, but it just was my
feeling during my stay. We all need vacations, and people already in them
tend to be very demanding, so it must be hard for a family to keep it all
as wonderfully as they do; therefore my sincere respects and regards for
them.
Definitely go. Great location and great rest. Great breakfast. Great
family.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 April 2011

I stayed here with my wife on our first leg of our honeymoon. We chartered their direct car service from the airport to the hotel. The driver was an older gentleman, and was nice. However, the car was a little old and had a smell to it. No matter!

The room we stayed in had a view of the street and was surprisingly roomy for a European hotel. It was in a quieter part of Rome, by the Villa Borghese, so it is a little bit of a walk from Trevi Fountain and Spanish Steps. But if you're in good shape, this is a good location!

Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 April 2011

What a great little Hotel.

Staff: Friendly and Helpful, making you feel very much at home.

Location: Just around the corner from all the 5 star Hotels in Rome. Easy walk to all attraction. We enjoy walking so never caught public transport, but it's close by if required.

Rooms: We booked a small double room. The room was small but very clean and nicely decorated. We were very happy with the room as we really only slept in it. If you like to have a bit more space you might be better to book a larger room. Sky TV in room.

Breakfast: The breakfast was great. A large variety and kept us going throughout the day.

Internet: There is a laptop at reception that can be used any time for free.

If you want a clean, friendly Hotel in a great position this is the Hotel for you.

Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple