“Quiet but convenient location, run by courteous, friendly family members.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Golden

Hotel Golden
Ranked #18 of 1,292 Hotels in Rome
New South Wales
“Quiet but convenient location, run by courteous, friendly family members.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2010

This was our first visit to the Hotel Golden, situated right across the road from the beautiful Borghese park and in a quiet street at the top of Via Veneto. Run mainly by two brothers, who were friendly, helpful and efficient, this is a small family hotel run on good old-fashioned service and attention to detail.
We are no strangers to Rome and have stayed in various categories of hotel in the city but although by no means the most expensive, ithe Golden may well become one of our favourites, due to a combination of well-appointed and relatively spacious rooms (go for the top-of-the-line), typically simple but appetising breakfasts and excellent attention to cleanliness.
The rooms are sound-proofed and double -glazed but you can open the windows and shutters. The room was a good size as was the bathroom.
Our hosts gave us excellent recommendations for local restaurants and one in particular, a small, cosy, family-style trattoria frequented by many locals, will certainly be on our list for future visits. Our four nights there were most enjoyable and we will use this hotel again. My only slight gripe: the wi-fi did not work all that well in our room. My mini-notebook was new and worked well elsewhere in Rome.

• 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (321)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2010

We just came back from a great stay at Hotel Golden. If you are looking for the big hotel experience with lots of rooms, staff and fancy lobby this definitely isn't the place for you.

We really liked the way the family who run the hotel all go out of their way to make your stay in rome a very pleasant one. They add small touches that don't cost them lots but show that they care - for example they have a stock of reasonably recent guide books to Rome that you can use to plan your stay.

At check-in one of the brothers showed us a map of the area, where we were, the best routes to metro stations and the Spanish steps and recommended some restaurants. They were really good about recommending other places to go, and if places would be closed etc.

We stayed in two rooms - the family room which was a bit bigger (nice big bathroom), and a triple room. I was a bit worried about the rooms being close to the main lobby & breakfast area, but we weren't disturbed by this at all. Both rooms + bathrooms etc were nice and clean and everything worked.

I think our only minor difficulty with the rooms was that it was difficult to control the temperature effectively (we were a bit too hot at times - which is better than being too cold :-))

The breakfast selection was good - cooked meats, bread, cereal etc. I think if you ask for it you can get an expresso, but we just went with the regular coffee every morning.

Also it's really good that the hotel provides free internet. You need to get the connection details to put into your laptop from front desk (or let them do it for you). It's so nice to have a hotel that doesn't try to nickel & dime you for internet.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2010

My huband and I have stayed in Rome on a number of occasions the first time in this Hotel.
It is a small Hotel and family run. Marco and Guiseppe were very helpful, gave us great tips on where to eat and they organised our pick up from the airport which went off without a hitch. Breakfast is continental and filling with a good selection. Rooms are very clean and reasonable size.
Everything you would want to see and do is within easy walking distance, there is also a Metro station nearby.
Definately would consider staying there again and would recommend to family and friends

2 Thank happywanderer070
Seattle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2009

This small hotel is in a great location. We stayed for 5 nights and our room on the second floor was large with a small sofa and desk in the room. It had a large bathroom with a huge sink that could hold all your toiletries. They had fluffy white bathrooms and slippers which was a very nice touch. We slept peacefully in the evenings and enjoyed how quiet it was. The staff was very nice and helpful.

The hotel lobby is located on the second floor and although the building has an old fashion elevator we chose to walked the stairs. The location was in a great neighborhood near the Via Veneto where all the exclusive hotels and boutiques stores are located. We walked to all the major tourist sites (Coliseum,Forum, Palatine Hill, Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain, Pantheon, Travestere, Vatican City and the Borghese Park and Gallery is only a block away) from the hotel. I think the furthest destination was Vatican City (St. Peters) took about 45 minutes to walk there. The Borghese Park next door was a great getaway from the crowds. It isn't as well kept as Central Park in NYC but it is still beautiful. You could enjoy a nice walk or run or sit on a bench and read the paper after all your sightseeing.

There is a great bakery/gelato place across from the hotel. I don't recall the name but you will walk by it if you stay here. The most delectable treats tempt you easily. It was a good thing I discovered it on our last day. Otherwise, I would have been there every day.

We loved Rome and had sunny warm days while we were here in late October. I'm know we will find ourselves back to visit again and we would definitely stay here.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank p0rt0bell0
california
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2009

Writing reviews, is not something I'm particularly good at . However that said I wanted to "give-back" to this forum.
We have been to Rome several times before, but this is the first hotel we would return to. The rooms are clean and efficient. But the family owned service was outstanding. They always helped with detailed instructions in perfect english on how to get around town. Their recommendations for restaurants, was never disappointing. They were at the elevator to help up with the bags, and help us down with our bags without any wait. We hope to return one day and it will be comforting to know at the end of our long flight, we will be greeted with warmth and a comfortable bed.

1 Thank ontola
Nashville
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2009

I took my nephew to Rome for Christmas; the Hotel golden was perfect for our stay; I wanted a hotel that was safe, clean, comfortable, affordable and in a good location and the Hotel golden was perfect. Not to mention that the family that runs the hotel were very helpful and kind. I cannot say enough about Marco and Guiseppe, brothers that own the hotel. We felt welcome and safe in this hotel. It is very small, 15 rooms, but we liked that about the hotel. It was quiet so we never had trouble sleeping. the rooms are not large, but they are comfortable, the bathrooms have good showers (very important) and the included breakfast had enough of a variety and was very typical of European hotels. I would definately stay there again and recommend this hotel to my friends. What more can you ask, a nice comfortable hotel a block off the Via Veneto with bus and metro service close by!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2009

I am not easy to please when it comes to hotels and was not convinced staying at a 2 or 3 star hotel would have been wise, but decided to invest less in the hotel and more on the life outside of the hotel. HOTEL GOLDEN WAS A GREAT CHOICE!!!! First, it was spotless. I have stayed at 5 star hotels with much smaller rooms. I found the room size spacious for Europe and a comfortable bed. I felt very secure when outside the hotel.
The location is next to the Spanish steps, Via Veneto and about a 15-20 minute walk to Via del Corso... up tp 10 euro taxi ride will take you anywhere if its too cold to walk.

The family that runs the hotel is so professional. I had a nightmare with my luggages, was without for 3 day and brothers Giuseppe and Marco made every effort to try to help me locate them.

I am not big on breakfast but those I traveled with found breakfast quite adequate. I am a coffee person and I had my latte at the coffee shop downstairs the hotel every morning as it was delicious!!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family