“Really Nice”

and 1 more site!
Hotel Golden
Ranked #20 of 1,267 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 21 July 2010

We really enjoyed our stay at this hotel. We booked the most basic room and it was cozy, but it was certainly fine for just the two of us and they kept everything very clean. It shares a lobby entrance with several other places and on evenings and weekends you need to be buzzed into the building. You also need to be buzzed into the lobby of the hotel itself. We found this a nice added security measure. It's located just one block off of Via Veneto so there are plenty of places to eat nearby and the metro is down the road.

The family that runs the hotel is very nice and the breakfast was good. The brothers are very helpful in terms of recommending restaurants, transportation, places to visit etc. There english is EXCELLENT. It was REALLY hot while we were in Rome and the air conditioning in the room worked wonderfully (not loud and we could control the temperature). We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hotel Golden

Reviewed 12 July 2010

My husband and I stayed at Hotel Golden during part of our honeymoon and had a marvelous time. The hotel was beautifully decorated, clean, new and quiet. The staff was also very friendly and accommodating (they arranged our airport transportation, and even provided ice when our feet were achy at the end of the day!). Breakfast was good - yogurt, fresh fruit, pastries, meats, cereals, coffee, juice, etc. The bathroom was modern and very clean. The hotel also had good security, and offered a computer with internet access in the front lobby. Although it is not in the heart of the historic center of Rome, it is in a very nice area of town, right next to the Villa Borghese and Spanish Steps. We would recommend this hotel to friends and family!

Reviewed 10 July 2010

Just spent the last 7 nights here, it's a family run hotel the brothers spoke very good English. We only went for the small room, but it had all you could need/want + plus the bathroom and ben were very clean. There was plenty choice for breakfast. The location of the hotel ment it was very handy for buses, taxis and even the metro. If you need five min time out the hotel is situated next to one of Romes biggest parks.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 July 2010

I booked the Hotel Golden based on the many good reviews on Trip Advisor and was not disappointed. Hotel Golden is in a great area by the Borghese Gardens and Via Veneto is one block away with many nice shops and restaurants. You can walk to many attractions. The room was small but I must say it is one of the cleanest hotels I have ever stayed in. The bathroom was huge and spotless. The hotel is on the 1st floor of a building but is very quiet. We didn't hear a sound from inside or outside. The breakfasts were lovely with a good selection. The family that runs the hotel were very nice and helpful. We only stayed 2 nights and weren't in our room for much of it but I have no complaints. They arranged for us to be picked up at the airport and the driver was there waiting and took our heavy luggage right to the front desk for us. We asked rather late in the day for a taxi for the next morning to take us back to the airport to pick up our rental car and there was no problem. The taxi was booked and arrived right on time. I would highly recommend the Hotel Golden to anyone going to Rome.

Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 July 2010

Rome is expensive so the Golden Hotel was good value.

We were however troubled by the fact that we ordered a pickup at 40 Euro by car from the Airport arranged by the hotel. A van arrived which took us and 4 others on a circuitous route taking twice the time it would have been by taxi which would have been 30Euro. This was a rip-off!.

The conducted tour buses were also a rip-off and not worth the money. No conducted tour just earphones which did not work.

The hotel room was OK and near to the centre of things but this was not really a hotel, more a number of apartments on the first floor of a building.

That being said for a short stay it was better than the pretentious hotels we saw elsewhere.

The staff or family we saw were helpful but we found the breakfast room cramped. Food adequate.

Sleep was OK providing windows kept shut and air conditioning on.

Reviewed 4 July 2010

I chose Hotel Golden because of all the great reviews, but I will not stay at the hotel again.
Positives: Indeed, the hotel was very clean, decorated very well, air conditioned, room size was adequate. The location was good if you don't mind taking a public transportation. There are many 5 star hotels around the neighborhood. I have to say that the family is trying to do their best to maintain the hotel. I was especially impressed with the great manner with one of the sons who was at the reception. Recommended for senior travellors & families.

Negatives: Service and Room - Perhaps, I just did not have a luck. The room I stayed had a lock issue. I had to ask help to close/open the room each time I go out and come back. To be fair, the son (at the reception) admitted the lock problem and he did not mind at all to help opening/closing the room. However, the father and the another son gave me an attitude that they knew how to close/open the room, but not me. Isn't it hotel's responsibility to make a room where any customers can access easily?
Another thing is that I had to receive a receipt because I paid in cash. My check-out time was 8 am and the father said that i had to wait 15 minutes more as he did not know how & his son will arrive in 15 minutes.. I was unable to wait because I had to catch a train to the airport. It might be a cultural difference, but I will probably feel differently if he ever said 'sorry for the trouble'. He just looked at me as if I was wrong to ask for a receipt.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 July 2010

Hotel Golden occupies one floor of a six story building. The owners live on site and are always readily available to give directions, suggestions, make reservations, etc. They are a warm and welcoming family and make guests feel at home. The neighborhood is residential and quiet. We had lots of non-touristy restaurants to choose from and never felt afraid to be out late at night. The hotel is in easy walking distance of bus stops and getting around is no problem. The breakfast buffet has limited choices, but no one ever went hungry. We had the largest and nicest bathroom we have ever had anywhere in Europe. The hotel is non-smoking and getting to stay there again is reason enough to return to Rome.

1  Thank travelilnrose